Aviattic Ansaldo A.1 Finished!

ericg

Arguments aside, this is one super super super fine kit. I have three in the stash and i can tell you from studying the box contents that this is the most complete high quality resin kit i have ever laid my hands on. Let's see as an analogy, although I don't like cars i thought of this, it's like a Mercedes S class and a Maybach. The S class is top of the line but the Maybach goes a couple of steps beyond that, and the kit feels very much like that compared to wnw and tam. Everything is included, as Eric said except for the rigging. I would definitely recommend getting your hands on one, or more if you can, if you like the aircraft or the genre. Bravo to the whole team who helped make it happen!

Eric superb job, i will be bookmarking your build as reference for when the time on mine comes. I am sure she will turn out splendid with your skills and magic touch.

Good luck on the "project" too my friend!

Looking forward to more!

Karim

Edited by karimb

• 1 month later...

An apology for lack of updates. I have recently started a type rating to fly the Boeing 717, so modelling has been pushed to one side for a little while.

I have done a bit more since last update, with my motivation for the build slightly deflated due to working out to whom I should direct the most credit towards for the production of the kit....

The paper belts went together nicely, and I have glued them onto the seat, leaving the shoulder straps loose in order to drape them over the fuselage sides later in the build. The leather on the seat was simulated by painting it in a couple of shades of Gunze Acrylic, with a dark enamel wash applied.

IMG_0021-X3.jpg

The instrument panel was painted white, and then the instrument surround was painted with Hataka True Blue. Wood details were picked out with Gunze Acrylic. The kit instrument decals were then applied.

IMG_0085-X3.jpg

The cockpit buttoned up under the turtledeck which requires some filler along he length of its join as can be seen here. I used a traditional oil over acrylic paint to simulate the wood grain of the fuselage interior, matching it to the shade of the kit woodgrain fuselage exterior decal.

As can be seen, there are alot of fairly complex photo etch components in the build, including the gun mount bar that tranverses the cockpit. Careful assembly and bending is required but the exacting quality of each component ensures great fit.

IMG_0083-X3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Eric

Having been privileged to visit Eric's workshop, seeing his work in progress and completed models first-hand, I'm really looking forward to seeing if there is anything you can do to add to and/ or improve on the components with which we are presented in this excellent and truly scale model. I intend that as a compliment to your skill and that of all the people who produced this kit

Several years ago I obtained copies of the major factory drawings for the Balilla and the Macchi M5 intending to scratch build both machines in 1/32 and I join with Eric in saying that everyone involved in realizing the Aviattic Ansaldo kit has done a remarkable job of faithfully capturing every detail, even though a lot of that superbly executed detail will be "lost" when the model is completed.

Anyway - on with the build ...

Technical question - Eric, are you soldering or using CA to complete the more complex 3-D PE parts in this kit ? I know I have asked before, but what sort of iron and flux do you use when soldering ?

Hope the transition to and certification on the 717 is going well

Regards

David

Technical question - Eric, are you soldering or using CA to complete the more complex 3-D PE parts in this kit ? I know I have asked before, but what sort of iron and flux do you use when soldering ?

Hope the transition to and certification on the 717 is going well

Regards

David

G'day David.

I am using super glue to bond all photo etch components as they are not load bearing and I have found it easier than soldering.

717 endorsement is going well. Final simulator check tomorrow night commencing at 19:15 and finishing at 03:15. Most of the training has been conducted at `back of the clock' hours due to the simulator being ran flat out to cope with the demand at the moment. With two small children plus a busy hobby, these hours are not too friendly at all! Looking forward to getting back up in the air, which will take place on the 21st of December with my first line training flight.

Back to the build.

One aspect of the model that will need serious consideration is the application of the woodgrain decals, as there is alot of photo etch to be applied to the kit before it is finished. Due to the decals not being cookie cut, some thought will be needed as to whether to apply the woodgrain decals before the photo etch details or after. I felt that the first method (called for in the instructions) would leave me vulnerable to having no room for error when sticking the photo etch details on, ie: they would have to go on correctly the first time and without any mess, as they would be being applied over decal. The method that I chose was to apply 90 of the exterior photo etch details, then prime the entire model, then mask and paint each detail, apply the woodgrain over the top and then carefully cut each detail out.

As can be seen from the following photos, there are many individual photo etch details. I have left off a few access panel details, as they will be positioned according to the circle shapes in the woodgrain decals. I have also left off the parts of the aileron actuator tube fairing and the curved components of the engine vent scoops, as well as the turnbuckle assemblies of the lower wing roots as these will be applied later.

IMG_0496-X3.jpg

IMG_0497-X3.jpg

I primed the model with Tamiya Fine surfacer white. This will become the final white layer that the decals will be applied to. I have disregarded the decal instructions to apply them over a high gloss surface as I have found in builds before that they sit perfectly well over the satin sheen of the primer coat.

IMG_0500-X3.jpg

After carefully masking off each detail, I painted them as can be seen here. Some minor cleaning up of small imperfections has taken place where variations of the primer coat can be seen. These will be left as is and will add some character to the model.

IMG_0502-X3.jpg

Hi,

Nice progress indeed, I hope it is not to late but regarding your turtle deck of the fuselage I dont know if it is the picture giving the wrong inpression but the line between the fuselage and the top seems to be rounded due to sanding the top and fuselage, this should be a sharp line on the real thing.

PS i use Jhonson furure to glue the etching in place on the fuselage afther decaling.

Regards Ron

Hi,

Nice progress indeed, I hope it is not to late but regarding your turtle deck of the fuselage I dont know if it is the picture giving the wrong inpression but the line between the fuselage and the top seems to be rounded due to sanding the top and fuselage, this should be a sharp line on the real thing.

PS i use Jhonson furure to glue the etching in place on the fuselage afther decaling.

Regards Ron

Thanks Ron.

It is way, way too late to do anything about it as the fuselage has been decalled and is almost complete.