1/32 Tamiya F-16 181st FW.

jmreed76

Hi guys, Started this project awhile back.

I'm using the Tamiya C/J kit as the basis. my subject aircraft is a Block 30 with the NSI "smallmouth intake" the model will be built inflight packing a full load out from its deployment back in 2001 Flying out of Incirlik AB, Turkey in support of Operation Northern Watch

C25C0BDB-1967-4D7E-A23F-908AD27D6138_zps

Work began attaching the top toward and aft fuselage sections. I used the screw provided by Tamiya but also used the method that I do when I build the Viper in 48th scale.

8B05BBCB-4C72-40DD-A64F-C7DBD7CBD301_zps

By drilling the holes, I can add Tamiya extra thin in small amounts until I get the top join perfect

E3B364BF-983E-4A27-BD30-4D4763050858_zps

Begining the intake trunk assy. For a seamless trunk.

A1C9D58A-2E51-4AFB-A00F-A367739B4B66_zps

I normally start with the bottom section of the intake trunk, glue the aft and foward section together and repeat for the top section of the trunk. Clean up the seams and glue the top and bottom sections together fill the seams on the inside of the trunk with Mr. surfacer 500. Once all of the seams have been cleaned up, the intake trunk assy is ready for a dip in paint

Moving on, My subject has the stiffener plates added to the fuselage and the wings. Awhile back I used a set of the Crossdelta scab plates by themselves and found out that they were way under scale so, I added Vinyl copies of the Photo etch plates first and applied the PE Crossdelta over top of the vinyl. By doing this it really helped with the scale effect!

EF2E8007-5163-46A3-A0B0-EA91928B44E2_zps

After stacking the plates, I noticed that there was a gap between the vinyl and actual PE scab plate...Err! After several attempts using Mr. Surfacer and a Q-Tip dipped in thinner trying fill the gap, I gave up and had to figure something else out! So, I broke out some Milliput. Don't have much experience using the stuff but, To my surprise it worked really well!

Here you can clearly see the gap after the Milliput was applied

F5A1CE23-9C57-4194-8829-A15B3AD44AB5_zps

650A48BB-4946-4E06-9F1C-36D5CDB98441_zps

After a coat of primer, Success!

8B6E10D8-1E59-453C-A3AB-DB73580C8B02_zps

I was going to do a block 30 aggressor but I won't live long enough to get around to it (read as I had WAY too many models, not that I'm old or in ill health) but my subject had the MCID intake.  I'm curious; it looks as though you've gotten the NSI intake from the Thunderbird aircraft kit.  Did you also source the lightweight gear and main gear bays without the prebulge?  Another question if I may... If you can comment on it, does that latex pour stay put or does it tend to lift/separate over time?  I tried to do the same thing when I was a kid (too long ago to mention) and although the initial results were nice, the latex paint began to pull away from the plastic after a few years.  Again, that was more than 30 years ago so latex paint technology most probably has evolved since and may not be an issue any longer.

Nice start by the way.  I always like watching peeps build these hair dryers.... 

Thanks Kevin!

Since I'm building this jet inflight, I just decided to use the kit's cockpit. I added Eduard's color photo etch to the IP. And just painted the side consoles by hand. It's still a Work in Progress but, it's coming along!

A17C5834-CB5E-4734-8228-B8467D42F691_zps

Made a lense out of clear sprue and added a piece of colored confetti to the combiner glass. Not really to scale but, I really like the look of it! Besides, once the HUD glass is in place chances are, it'll hide the lense!

F4399F8D-390F-4737-A7CC-DC29EE2EA310_zps

Juggernut, The NSI intake is from the 32nd T-Bird kit, awhile back I contacted Tamiya USA and was able to purchase five complete intake sprues!....Glad I did cause now the kit is out of production. Lucky enough, the Non bulged doors are included on that same sprue!

Regarding the latex paint, I found that Glidden High Endurance works best!

F61242A2-358A-4220-85BC-54E2E1064362_zps

I haven't had any issues with the latex lifting/separating but, I go a step further. After the intake has been dipped in latex, I also give the intake a dip in Future. I feel that this will help in sealing the paint. Since I've been doing this, I've no issues! In case some are wondering, the label has changed again for this stuff!

7DC866A3-D7C4-400E-9126-0656B5F1C49D_zps

Just a little mockup to show the pose!

A517974A-1B12-4197-9997-8688EECDD4E5_zps

Work begins on the ACES II ejection seat,

91647CB6-249B-4D26-A8EC-A73E21E47C14_zps

71517719-6CC4-4A8B-9D27-E15E5B09CF41_zps

Not all that crazy about the seat having so much black on it but, my reference shots of the 181st show mainly black on the seat. If I were doing this open canopy, I would've made the cushions to resemble sheepskin. Being that there will be a pilot in seat I figured all of the added detail would be lost.

I'm at a little standstill at the moment awaiting some supplies still need to do some drybrushing on the seat, paint up the little details, gloss and apply the decals to the seat wash and flat coat but hopefully here soon I'll be able to close up the fuselage!