North Korean Ki-43 Oscar *Done*

BradG

Not too much progress over the last day or so, just lots of little things; masking the rudder off for paint, painting the exhaust, landing light and touch up paint here and there. However I was mucking around with how to yellow the canopy. I got a couple of spares from the tub of bits and tried future dipping in tinted paint, heavily thinned yellow both brushed and sprayed on, but all I did was make a mess, so I pulled out my modelling pigments (as suggested) and a soft make-up brush and this came out. It's a combination of yellow Tamiya pigment and brown from MiG, worked into the inner surfaces and then lightly applied over the outer to knock the sheen off. It's a little delicate, but as long as I don't put a wet finger on it, it'll be fine. That also means if you want to try something like this and screw up, said wet finger will remove it so you can start again.

P1010021_zps6gr81roo.jpg

Edited by BradG

I brushed on some Future, although I don't normally use that as a gloss I will be having a go at an oil filter to break up the monotone olive drab. It seemed to work ok, so decals were put on. As you can see, two of them shattered for no apparent reason. I also painted the red rudder, flattened the tires (although you can't see them too well) and started putting together a few cans and drums to sit on the base. I just have to wait for the decals to dry and I'll give them a coat of floor wax too.

P1010022_zpsrzv82ipx.jpg

P1010024_zpselg16ywk.jpg

P1010025_zpshvemkmhv.jpg

P1010027_zpsp0kv1mzr.jpg

Here's my first attempt at an oil filter. I don't mind the effect, it certainly gives the monotone paint scheme some character. I've only done the wings, so you can see the contrast between the effect and just the straight OD on the fuselage. Sorry about the pics, I was hoping for some sunlight today but woke up to grey skies and rain. I'll probably work a few pigments into the surface too after I seal the filter.

P1010001_zpsszvhxcfg.jpg

P1010002_zpsg8aajone.jpg

Brad, don't know how this slipped by me !Glass looks good. Your dot filter looks good. I've yet to try it. Keep going lad......Harv :popcorn:

Oil wash completed on the fuselage, I probably could have gone a little harder with it, but I'll be using some pigment anyway in the next steps. I'll let it set for a good couple of days before attacking it further. With that done, I moved onto the base. Previously I'd used real soil, but it just wasn't fine enough and looked out of scale, but a tip from Facebook (and I resisted using that for so long) suggested grout. I had some left over from recent bathroom repairs so I spread some out, dry, on the base and used an eyedropper to flood it with water. That's all I did and it worked out way better than I thought it would!

Next up are some accessories for the base.

P1010008_zpstjfjwep0.jpg

P1010006_zps6yeyvljp.jpg

Last in progress update before the final completed pictures as I'm almost there. The base was completed with a few bits of junk and some grass tufts from MiniNature. I've also been working on oil streaks and general grime on the under surface.

Not much left but some final paint touch ups, canopy, flat coat and antenna wire.

P1010001_zps2v1bqgim.jpg

P1010002_zpskqxk2qko.jpg

hi

nice build ,the paint job is  plain but efficient , good job too on the canopy .. I like her!!!!!!  .. don't be offend , if I say : this plane , is as sad as the depicted country

Alain

nice little dio !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...