Nieuport 17

mgbooyv8

Hi guys,

This group build is perfect to kick start the build of an Academy Nieuport 17.

If I'm correct, this is from 1999, so should be o.k.

If it's older, I ask our kind moderators to move this thread to the Works in progress forum. :please:

I have a nice SPADA decalsheet for use on it (a LSP Raffle Prize, thanks, Dave! ;) )

post-4267-1257703072.jpg

Armed with a Windsock Datafile, its time to start.

The Academy kit is very cheap, only 10 euros or so.

The moulding is very crisp.

But oh dear, the fuselage shape is not so hot. ;)

The straight sidewalls are a bit too high and the transition of the flat cross section to the round cross section of the engine is suspect.

The aperture for the pilot is too short and the underside of the fuselage does not have the "dimple" behind the engine.

Hmmm. I don't want to build a new fuselage,

so I'll correct the cockpit opening and remove a section of the fuselage bottom behind the engine.

In this picture, you see the correction of the cockpit.

post-4267-1257703750.jpg

The upper fuselage shows the correction.

It is just a matter of making the opening approx. 3mm wider at the rear, requiring two sawcuts and some filing

(note that the other fuselage is of my modelling friend Meindert :please: ).

I continue in the interior.

My approach here is to model the visible items only. ;)

The Windsock and a very good virtual Nieuport 17 on the Aerodrome forum are the references.

Here's where I am so far:

post-4267-1257704570.jpg

The "half bulkhead" is a representation of the ammunition box.

Only a small part of the carburettor with intake tubes can be seen, so a representation is enough.

The wooden footplates needed some raised edges (Microstrip).

The throttle quadrant is very prominent, so the kit item was enhanced with control rods etc.

Still to add: the fuel crane on the left, just before the throttle, a rev counter with cable on the right,

the control stick, the aileron pushrods, the pedals, the chair, paint and some rigging wires.

The headrest will be closed with a piece of plastic card (after glueing the fuselage shut),

So not much of the rear interior will be seen. :please:

Cheers,

Peter

Excellent Peter! I ALMOST gave this kit a go for the 'Aces GB'. I haven't even opened the box on mine yet, so this will be a very interesting build to see how it goes together. Very Cool. :P Nice mod on the cockpit dude, that's sweet. Looking forward to the next update! :blowup:

Hi guys,

Work continued on the interior and the engine.

Here's the interior without paint with more items:

post-4267-1258311809.jpg

In the background you see prints from the virtual Nieuport 17 from the Aerodrome forum.

Though the kit's chair is not etirely correct, it was used anyway.

Its appearance was enhanced by drilling holes in the backrest.

The Gnome rotary engine is good enough, since it will be enclosed by a cowling.

In order to make the inlet tubes fit while ensuring the pushrods are parallel to the engine,

the former have to be bent backwards with respect to their central ring before glueing them to the rear of the engine.

The pushrods themselves, all moulded to a central ring, are slightly too short.

This was remedied quickly with drops of wood glue.

They are situated at the back of the engine anyway.

post-4267-1258311883.jpg

The engine was painted also:

The front:

post-4267-1258312717.jpg

and the rear:

post-4267-1258312744.jpg

The engine was given a wash of Future with a bit of Tamiya clear orange and clear smoke.

The interior needs some cables and controls before the fuselage is closed up.

Russ, if you put a pilot in, all this work won't be necessary as you'll hardly see the interior!

When the fuselage is closed, this kit will build very fast, I think.

The fit of parts is good and there are not so many items to be installed at the outside.

The Nieuport 17 was a neat little airplane.

Cheers,

Peter

Gorgeous Peter, simply beautiful! :) Whoooah, this is turning into another major distraction. heh heh. I just might have to get this kit out and look at it. :mental: Yep, even though I built up the interiors for the Fokkers, just so everybody could see how it all went together.....I left most of it out when it came time to put the pilots in. Geesh, you went to town on your pit and it looks stunning. Love those drawings!

Can't wait to see more dude! :thumbsup:

Very nice work Peter. I am currently carrying out a similar exercise myself, as I am making a cockpit detail set master pattern for this kit, so I would value your thoughts on the subject (maybe we can compare notes - I am struggling to find useful pictorial reference for the ammunition box and instruments at the moment). I have some prints, like yours, of the virtual N.17, and I find these generally very useful as well. Once more, fantastic work there Peter - keep it up :thumbsup:.

Regards

Derek

Just in case you are planning on some 'additions' to the kit, heres a good set of drawings. Sadly they are a bit worn but they still have alot of good information on the structure.

http://ark.com/~mdf/N_17d.html

and heres a virtual 17. This is awesome in that it gives great perspective on how things fit to gether which you can't get from the above drawsing in some instances.

http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Miller/re...port/index.html

Sabre

Again thanks for the kind words, guys!

Ah, Russ, now I understand how you got te pilots into your Fokkers without painful amputation! :evil_laugh:

If you want the drawings of the Virtual Nieuport,

follow this link:

http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Miller/re...port/index.html

and some additional drawings concerning the construction:

http://ark.com/~mdf/N_17d.html

both links were given by Sabre in the build thread of Erwin's Nieuport 17 in the Aircraft of the Aces.

Hi Derek,

As main references I use the Windsock datafile and the virtual Nieuport 17.

As you intend to make a master pattern, you probably have more info than I have.

You're right, useful pictures of the ammunition box are very scarce.

Looking at the many variations in installed weapons, it wouldn't surprise me if

an equal amount of variation existed in the ammo boxes.

I even see variations in the fuel crane and its inspection glass on the pictures... :P

I shortly considered building an new inner structure for the fuselage,

as the metal frame in front of the pilot is a bit narrow.

Inspecting the fuselage, I noticed the shape of the nose was suspect. :)

I think it has to do with:

- too high flanks, the give away are the scribed longerons inside which seem to have the right height.

- as a result the edge between the upper decking and the flank in front of the pilot is not o.k.

- I think the plywood fairing from the engine to the rear sidewall of the fuselage should extend a bit further aft

to end at the vertical wooden fuselage member just behind the pilot's seat.

- as a result, the open step in the left fuselage side should be a bit more to the rear

As I already mentioned at the beginning of this thread:

- the cockpit opening is not long enough, which looks odd.

- the "dimple" or duct in the bottom just behind the engine is lacking.

Wings and tailplanes seems to be o.k. dimensionwise, (didn't check them -yet- :whistle: ) ), but the rib effect is not very convincing...

Always when I see a built model it looks o.k., so

I decided to build this kit as it is, only modifying the cockpit opening and the duct in the forward fuselage and adding detail where necessary.

I hope i've answered your inquiry with regard to my notes. ;)

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I concur with your observations. My cockpit detail set consists a new internal floor, front and rear bulkheads and new sidewalls. Obviously, as they are internal fits, and have to fit the existing kit fuselage with minimal alteration or preparation to it, they will not be exactly to scale dimensionally in some areas, however, the relative positioning of the cockpit details shall be.

I found that the main problem with the kit cockpit is that the wing front spar fuselage pick-up/vertical tube former is approximately 2.5mm too far forward - this puts the whole cockpit out of postion (along with the postioning of all internal components). I have only Mark Williams (excellent) virtual drawings to work with, along wih a fairly low-res (and blurred) print of the N.17 plans that you provided links to. I really would like to see a copy of the Windsock datafile on the N.17, just to confirm that I am making the parts correctly? (please PM me if you can help me in this respect).

In the meantime, I am really enjoying your build and look forward to future posts.

Best regards

Derek