MiG-17PF Fresco

Azgaron

I think you're right Harv! At least the hatchet needs to be moved, and possibly the cut line too! A pity as I thought it would be nice if I could cut along the panel line!

This also means that the engine needs to be prolonged with the same amount, and I know where too, as the first conical piece of the jet pipe is missing on the model! Not sure just yet how, but I'll think of something I hope! :)

Cheers,

Håkan

Let's start with the simple things first! :o The ailerons are fixed!

mig-17pf_fresco_wing_ailerons_done_640x480.jpg

Pehaps needs some touch up and new rivets!

Then I've also been working with the jet pipe!

mig-17pf_fresco_jet_pipes_inside_640x480.jpg

Not done yet, and I still need to make that extra bit of engine!

Not sure this will be enough, but I intend to saw along the markings I made around the nozzle. Then I'll try and shape them like on the pics!

mig-17pf_fresco_exhaust_nozzle_640x480.jpg

I traced the rear part of the wing root and draw holes like on the pic by free hand! I think it looks pretty Ok and in my view can't be shorter.

Not sure of the best method to move the access panel, but cutting from the edge and around the panel, then turning the piece 180 degrees perhaps will do the trick!

mig-17pf_fresco_traced_wing_root_640x480.jpg

I took a pic from the front end of the engine!

mig-17pf_fresco_engine_front_640x480.jpg

And I wonder what the holes are there for? Should they be there? I can't see anything like it on the pics I've seen, but most of them aren't showing the engine from that side!

Maybe the cables and stuff will hide things away anyway! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Håkan

I've been working a lot with small things, trying to get things as I want them and trying to figure the best way to do things!

I've cut a piece of the fuselage as indicated earlier and glued to the rear fuselage parts!

mig-17_pf_fresco_rear_fuse_glued_640x470.jpg

Done some filling too!

I also been working with the jet pipe and now it's dressed on the inside!

mig-17_pf_fresco_jet_pipe_1_640x470.jpg

It's hard to get filler where you want it and to sand it down nice and smooth! It needs some more filler to make it more even!

I've been looking at pics like the ones I got and like this one trying to figure where wires and stuff should go!

The kit part looks like this!

mig-17_pf_fresco_engine_parts_a_640x470.jpg

But after looking at the pics, I want to cut of the small rouind tabs and the ring where the tabs are located and reverse it!

mig-17_pf_fresco_engine_parts_b_640x470.jpg

Then I'll glue back the tabs again. This way I think it will match the pics better! Sorry for the lack of proper terms for the things I'm trying to describe!

The white dots is an attempt to make it look more look alike, but they're a bit too large so they have to go! :blink:

I've also been trying to make the missing afterburner part, and after getting some good advice from Derek B, I might be able to present you with something soon! :lol:

Cheers,

Håkan

Thanks Harv! :blink:

Glad you like what I've done so far!

Won't be doing much more now as I'm going to a Model convent or show this weekend!

I don't expect to bring home any prices, but I'll most certian will spend some money there! :(

Cheers,

Håkan

Thanks Peter! :D

No worries, it's nice to have good reference pics! I only wish that Trumpeter had them too ;)

Returned on sunday evening after a very nice show, with many (over 300) nice kits exhibited!

I've had a few on display myself, and managed to get these! :D

modell_gbg_2009_317_640x480.jpg

modell_gbg_2009_honorary_diplomas_640x480.jpg

This was my first award ever, and I'm very happy! :lol: It's an honorary, kind of third, price!

I've also spent some money on kits and tools!

I've managed to work some on my MiG too! I've cut and flipped the 'rim' and added a few thin plastic bits!

mig-17pf_engine_mockup_1_640x480.jpg

My attempt at making the conical part for the afterburner turned out like this!

mig-17pf_jetpipe_and_afterburner_1_640x480.jpg

It didn't get as much slope as on the pics, but unless I should redo more things, it had to fit the kit parts!

I might make a new one as this one isn't totally centered! Never done this kind of work before, nut I'll try and detail it a bit first before I decide to try and make a better one!

I've assembled the trolley too!

mig-17pf_trolley_2_640x480.jpg

I'll paint it yellow with black tires and pads! I'll add some grease and dirt too! :)

Cheers,

Håkan

Hi Håkan,

Congratulations with your first award.

That many more may come!

Nice looking tanks btw.

Did you buy anything worth mentioning in the "Make the others jealous" thread? :(

Glad to see you did something to the Mig as well.

Cheers,

Peter

Håkan,

Congratulations on your competition placings - I remember my first attempt back in the early 80s, with similar results (it must do your confidence a world of good :().

Looks like you are making very good progress with the Mig-17 ;)

Cheers

Derek

Thanks Peter, Kev and Derek! :lol:

It sure was a confidence booster to get awards! Now when 'first blood' is drawn, I'll try and improve my skills for the next time! :lol:

I got a few nice kits, but none in 32nd! The nicest kit was the Best Choice JAS-39D Gripen! Don't know if that's worth mentioning in the "MAke the other jealous" thread!

Got a Trumpeter Spitfire Mk1 in 24 that might be worth mentioning though!

Have to figure some way to make the 'cogs' on the afterburner. Strecthing some sprue, glue and cut to size perhaps!

Cheers,

Håkan

Thanks Peter, Kev and Derek! :lol:

It sure was a confidence booster to get awards! Now when 'first blood' is drawn, I'll try and improve my skills for the next time! :lol:

I got a few nice kits, but none in 32nd! The nicest kit was the Best Choice JAS-39D Gripen! Don't know if that's worth mentioning in the "MAke the other jealous" thread!

Got a Trumpeter Spitfire Mk1 in 24 that might be worth mentioning though!

Have to figure some way to make the 'cogs' on the afterburner. Strecthing some sprue, glue and cut to size perhaps!

Cheers,

Håkan

Nice going Håkan :lol:

Show me an image of the 'cogs', along with some indication of the scale size required, then I can better advise you?

Derek

Thanks Derek! :)

I borrowed the pic I got on page two and added an arrow!

ebk-ring_700x400.jpg

Those are the tabs, cogs, or protrusions I mean! It's hard to find the right word sometimes! :)

Cheers,

Håkan

Håkan,

They look a bit like a row of turbine stator blade attachments to me - I shall have to do some digging on VK-1 engines in order to find a clearer picture. The simple way is lots of tiny plastic sheet squares and styrene rod chopped down to represent a nut plate tyoe assembly for each individual blade - I shall see if I can find out what they actually look like.

Cheers

Derek

Whooohoo!, Alright Håkan! Sorry I haven't had a chance to drop in and say howdy before now, but I've been watching your build from the beginning. :) Really cool to see you making some parts up from scratch! B) Looking really sweet buddy, real good.

Congratulations on the award! Ooooooh yeah, also another congratulations for the Rising Sun Group-Build win too! Man, you're on a roll dude! heh heh! Keep 'em coming. Really enjoying watching you detail out this Mig. What markings and paint-scheme are you going to apply?

Can't wait to see the next set of progress pics, you're moving right along. Sure is fun watching you put this one together! Go Azgaron, Go! :) Later Buddy, Russ

OK Håkan, now I have looked at lots of VK-1/VK-5/RD-45 jet engines. There appears to be two basic types of jet pipe joint here. The majority of them seem to be two very plain lipped flanges with bolts going through them at equal spacings. The later type of joint (as in your pictures) appear to be two steel rings in the form of straps with bolts going directly into the jet pipe itself at equal spacings, not through a flange. Either types can be reproduced by use of thin plastic strip or discs with chopped down slices of plastic rod to represent bolts (or chopped down slices of hexagon shaped plastic rod if you really want it to look authentic).

HTH

Derek