BF-109K-4

ruzlkampf

Whahoooo! I'm going to try a fictitious all RLM-76 109K in the last 5 days of the remaining time of this GB. Just finished with the Bearcat and P-51A, so I haven't had a chance to get my ducks in a row for posting additional pics yet. BUT! This will at least have a resin spinner and a resin pilots head.

First, I must post my obligatory box with the un-started kit in it. I won't be doing the famous #'s 44 & 43 all-blue scheme (even though I have that decal sheet) but something from other units that flew these. Either JG-54/JG-3/ or JG-1, and some other 'mosquito_chaser' units that flew at night. This will be a 'made-up' fictitious scheme that will have no documentary evidence, but should be a hoot. I really like how this one-color scheme really makes the lines of this plane stand out. More pics as things start flying! later, Russ

post-4413-1261913793.jpg

Whahoooo! I'm going to try a fictitious all RLM-76 109K in the last 5 days of the remaining time of this GB. Just finished with the Bearcat and P-51A, so I haven't had a chance to get my ducks in a row for posting additional pics yet. BUT! This will at least have a resin spinner and a resin pilots head.

First, I must post my obligatory box with the un-started kit in it. I won't be doing the famous #'s 44 & 43 all-blue scheme (even though I have that decal sheet) but something from other units that flew these. Either JG-54/JG-3/ or JG-1, and some other 'mosquito_chaser' units that flew at night. This will be a 'made-up' fictitious scheme that will have no documentary evidence, but should be a hoot. I really like how this one-color scheme really makes the lines of this plane stand out. More pics as things start flying! later, Russ

post-4413-1261913793.jpg

Nice

Howdy Plet, and welcome to the fun & games! :rolleyes: Had my 'groove on' tonight (okay, that's the coffee talkin), and the combination of being on vacation and having to have this done in a few days has me all wound up! Now I'm no 'smexpert' on 109's, and don't have time to be ordering lots of after-market gizmos.....but I did have a few resin Eagle Editions spinners left over from my ME-110G conversion I did awhile back. Sweet! Also have some corrected oil-coolers from the same, but didn't have time to dig thru boxes to find em. Meh, the kit piece will have to do. Nuthin fancy goin to be going on here!

Slam dunked about 3-1/2 hrs. on this tonight, and got it already sitting on it's gear. Whoohoo! Started with the spinner. Mr. Dremel and a pin-vice whomped this into shape pretty quickly.

post-4413-1261922405.jpg

Couldn't hang with the kit spinner, so this is one concession to accuracy I had to make. Also, because I'm a pilot freak.....I gave this dude some personality with a Mastercasters resin head that I got a few extras of. He'll do nicely for the high-altitude 'grrrrrr-look' I want.

post-4413-1261922615.jpg

Now, I've got a decal sheet (again from Eagle Editions) with an all-RLM-76 scheme on it,....but I'm going to make one up. This is just to show what I'm going for paint-wise. I'm thinkin maybe 'black-25' or whatever. Dunno yet, I'm still scratchin my belly on that.

post-4413-1261922786.jpg

Alright, moving right along. Got my spinner, pilot, and an approximate paint-scheme.....so I slammed the basic kit together with styrene cement, superglue, and 5-minute epoxy to get this far. I can model like the wind when I hafta. Uuuuuh, no this won't have a detailed interior, I've got my usual pilot stuffed into place and the canopy will be closed. :rolleyes: Wanted all the identifying features of a 'K', so I left the tail-wheel doors open and functional and the outer main covers on. I think they look cool, and this bird will need all the aerodynamic finesse it can get to go chasing Mosquitos and such at high-altitude.

post-4413-1261923275.jpg

OK, lemee prop it all together with the basic parts I've got so far. Oooooh yeah, this is getting close to what I have envisioned. This is ready for a light putty job and preliminary painting tomorrow when I get up. Whoohoo! :rolleyes:

post-4413-1261923475.jpg

Time to put it up on the 'cat-walk' and do a little walk-aroundsy, eh? Got a bee in my bonnet, so I'm goin to be slammin on this joker hard in the next few days. Here's the basics; ooooh yeah, this has possibilities! :rolleyes:

post-4413-1261923672.jpg

post-4413-1261923695.jpg

Whew! I've been modeling all day, and it's time to break out a pint of Haagen-Daas chocolate ice cream and scarf before I hit the sack. Last pic of my first day of this build. More progress pics as things progress! :rolleyes: Later, Russ

post-4413-1261923895.jpg

Whew! I've been modeling all day, and it's time to break out a pint of Haagen-Daas chocolate ice cream and scarf before I hit the sack. Last pic of my first day of this build. More progress pics as things progress! :BANGHEAD2: Later, Russ

post-4413-1261923895.jpg

Now you got a smile with that from 8am > 8:25 am.Looks good so far Russ these Hase kits do fit together great with minor filling involved.Mine is now sealed up and it be time to fly here shortly till the paint slows mea down.Cheers Kevin

Whoooooah, coffee hang-over. :lol: I just can't handle that stuff,....maybe I'll go get some more?! :goodjob: I'm a night owl anyway, but vacation time has me going to bed at 6:00am and getting up at around 5:00pm. I haven't seen the sun in a couple of days (kinda like living in Norway or Alaska), so methinks I'll take a loooong drive into the desert this weekend. After I finish this build. :clap2:

OK, after a night(day) of drying time, this is now solid enough for me to mess around with. I can hear the clock ticking towards the deadline, so I applied a bit of dissolved putty on what seams and holes there were to fill. Opened up a cannon chute exit on the underside also. Meh, that's about it for detail. Oh yeah, I sanded down the tires a bit to give them a 'landed on a couple of times look'. Applying this dissolved putty with a paint brush made filling in those underwing holes, and the divots in the wheel wells a big yawn. Speed is of the essence here, so I'm not going to be farting around too much. Pic of the filled in holes and seam lines.

post-4413-1261974708.jpg

Also, I stuck an oxygen hose on the pilots mask. Head isn't glued on until after I start painting as it's in the way. Whups, I also decided I wanted water/methanol injection for added speed, so I put the bump where it intrudes into the pit behind the headrest.

post-4413-1261974815.jpg

Thanks for showing all those camo-schemes Rick, but I'll be going with an all RLM-76 low-viz scheme like that 1/48th bird you modeled. (not quite as colorful though) Decided on a number finally; 'blue 29' from another decal sheet. It actually looks a lot darker blue than in the pics. Still not too decided on the entire marking scheme yet, and there's no telling what this will morph into. Paused here so I can go get some more coffee. When I return, it's time to try my hand at a bit of pre-shading. (something I don't do too often, but I think with this sceme might be the way to go.) More pics later on tonight (early morning :lol: ) Later, Russ

post-4413-1261975485.jpg

The end of the 2nd day of this build finds me with a bit of color on this rig, and my pilot painted. Decided to go an unorthodox route with the pre-shading. I'm going to put it on AFTER I laid a slightly darker color of light blue (RLM 65? :coolio: ) Having a hard time envisioning how I want this to look, so I put some color on it and I'll work things in from here. I'm going to shade this coat, then spray RLM-76 over all this. Uuuuuuh, I dunno why,.....just the way it's working out. :blowup:

Not much to show, just a series of progress pics before I go to bed. This is where I'm at presently;

post-4413-1262005526.jpg