Trumpeter MiG-29A Coming Soon!

LSP_Kevin

Isn't calling the Trumpeter Mig-29 out because the Mig-15 is average basically the same as saying any future Revell release will be rough as the P-47D is?

Talk about skipping a generation or three.

The Mig-15 was from literally Trumps first gen kits out in 1999.

The Mg-19 in 01.

Has the technology in molding not advanced about 3 to 4 generations since then and Trumpeters ability to produce some of the finest quality plastic not?

Even Trumpeters research has improved since then..lol.

Since then Revell has snatched the title of worlds poorest research award getting wings and fuselages switched and shapes wrong.

So I think I'll be happy with what comes down the road till Revell announce something that will be another engineering disaster crossed with the wrong wing on the right fuselage.

Bring this Trump-29 on and for the non believers there is always Revells Mig-29A..lol

Edited by Darren Howie

Pick a model company, any model company. Chances are that they made at least one model that someone will find fault with. 

A 1/32 MiG 29  has been at the top of my "most wanted" list for a while. Like others here, I have a Revell kit with Zactoman parts and lots of other bits and pieces. I am really looking forward to this kit. 

Radu 

Trumpeter did a fairly decent job with the 1/32 Mig-29 K/M kits for the prototypes they represented. I'm looking forward for them to tackle the 9-12, 9-13, and UB models. Even if it's from their B team, it will be better than the old Revell kit, which actually is pretty bad by today's standards. Even throwing tons of Zacto stuff at it doesn't fix all of the Revell kits issues.

The discussion where you said that was about the Trumpeter MiG-19 and its many problems.

No I wasn't; I was referring to Dean's doubts about the Trump-29A actually coming out, which is why I drew a reference to the box art.

But, as you mentioned it, we haven't seen the 29 plastic yet and the criticism of the 19, however valid for an early release by a new firm seventeen years ago, was very obviously pointed.

As others have mentioned, state of the art in moulding has moved on. Let's see what Trumpy have actually done with the new Fulcrums now we're well into thesecond decade of the 21st Century.

Tony

I think that it's great that Trumpeter are continuing with the rest of the Mig 29 family but it always puzzled me that they stopped completing the Harrier family? Maybe they'll pick them up later like the Mig 29's with any luck!

I think the 29A in particular will sell very well for them regardless of opinions on forums.

Happy days! 

I don't think Trumpeter will go back to the Harrier for a simple reason: they could just release an early GR5 or a T10, nothing more without designing a completely new kit. The GR5 is not very attractive in comparison with the later marks that were used in war zones and two-seaters are rarely hot sellers, so...

Hopefully, a company like KH, Kinetic or Italeri will finally understand that a family of Gen 1 Harriers will be a hot seller...! BtW, I would not be surprised to see two companies releasing them at the same time in the next three years!

The Trumpeter release may in fact help me in ending my FrankenMiG! Indeed, the kit will possibly be excellent and become a hot seller that will promote the release of aftermarket sets I could use on my own kit. If the kit is surprisingly badly designed, this will just foster me to end mine. In any case, my MiG was intended to be an early version that as far as I know has not been released in kit form up to now.

BTW, I cannot stop thinking this new kit is probably related in one or another "unofficial" way to the very nice GWH 1/48th kit and if I'm right, the kit will be VERY nice and may even announce a new series of F-15 from Trumpeter...

Hopefully, a company like KH, Kinetic or Italeri will finally understand that a family of Gen 1 Harriers will be a hot seller...! BtW, I would not be surprised to see two companies releasing them at the same time in the next three years!

I sincerely hope you're right, not that I disagree about them being hot sellers, the Sea Harrier in particular. :wub:

BTW, I cannot stop thinking this new kit is probably related in one or another "unofficial" way to the very nice GWH 1/48th kit and if I'm right, the kit will be VERY nice and may even announce a new series of F-15 from Trumpeter...

That would indeed be great. The GWH 1/48 MiG-29 kit is a gem! However, Trumpeter recently released a scale 1/72 kit of the MiG-29 and, sadly, it did not appear to take much "inspiration" from the GWH kit. ;-) 

Radu 

Too bad but wait and see for the large scale ones.

It is a pity we have to bet on the accuracy of plans and/or other kits that are used to design their kits. Either we are lucky (Me 262 or Avenger) or unlucky (BAC lightning or Eurofighter)... Same in other scales (questionable DH Hornet).

In any case, I have to admit that there were far more problems with kits of jets than with propeller planes. I hope the MiG will be in the same league than the Intruder.

Remember that Trumpeter have already produced two 1/32 MiG-29 variants, and while not perfect they do make a joke out of the Cold War era Revell offerings.

What is the extent of the "new tool" ? Is it really more "new variant"? I would imagine Trumpeter might be able, if it wishes, to confine the new parts to the cockpit tub, upper fuselage, undercarriage and forward inlets (plus decals and instructions). Stores might well be recycled.

This may be the reason we're getting a quartet of Fulcrums while the Devastator has less validity than Chinese folklore.

But I'm a very happy cat who has a bowl of fish and one of cream.

Tony

There are a lot of differences between the 1st gen MiG-29s and the K/M models, which would require a lot of new parts. Depending on how the parts are laid out on the existing spues, they may decide to just make a new mold instead of having to box a lot of sprues with parts you don't use.

Wings, fuselage and tail fins are different. Actually, i think there are not a lot of parts from the K/M models that could be used for the A/UB.

Maybe some can be used for the SMT (which is a modern overhaul based on 9.12 airframes), but i dont even know.

The best would be if Trumpeter would include parts to build a 9.13 in the 9.12 box. Otherwise there is the Zacto conversion but is it going to fit on the trumpeter model?

Edited by Zero77

Wings, fuselage and tail fins are different. Actually, i think there are not a lot of parts from the K/M models that could be used for the A/UB.

Maybe some can be used for the SMT (which is a modern overhaul based on 9.12 airframes), but i dont even know.

The best would be if Trumpeter would include parts to build a 9.13 in the 9.12 box. Otherwise there is the Zacto conversion but is it going to fit on the trumpeter model?

Interesting. So, it's wait and see then. I remain delighted even though many of the nuances may be lost on me.

If it is nearly all new tool that would be absolutely fabulous. Am eager for an A and UB and would most like to see (eventually) a production K/KUB seagoing version.

I'm sure the SMT has its following also, and the C/9-13 will be nice for the aerobatic liveries.

I just hope this regenerates interest in big scale Russian stuff; a scaled-up Fishpot & Maiden would be bliss.

Tony