1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

thanks Mike - they are really, really useful - most useful in fact as a sense of proportion..

I can see my seat back is off - the frame is too 'big bore' so I will have to make another:)

thanks again

Peter

Oh Oh, BIG mouth!!!  :frantic:  :frantic:

Hi Craig - well the trick with those, and in fact both areas where holes are needed is to tape the template for the hole to the litho (if you don't have one, make one...) and then run round and round it with a sharp pin. This scores the metal quite deeply and you should keep going until you can see the outline of the scoring from underneath..

Then carefully use a blade to run along any straight areas and one or other side will start to give... once a side gives and becomes weak, I just hold the bit i want to break out and carefully wiggle the sheet around it - ultimately metal fatigue takes over and the part starts to break free. It can take time, so don't rush, and be gentle as as you say you can easily kink the corners or somewhere you don't want to bend..

..if the hole you want is too small to hold between you fingers, I try and hold it in a hold'n'fold right along one of the scored edges, and then just push at it right at that edge with a tool and it too will soon start to break free  :)

Thank you as always for taking the time educate me Peter! As always I think I tend to forget just how much time you invest in every little part, especially as all of them are always to such a high standard :)

Your latest post is a fantastic tutorial on your metal forming, with the spectacular result you've got. I can only imagine just how long it took to get the brass rod to hold the shape you wanted!

Craig

Hi Peter,

Amazing work on the seat!

I have a question pertaining to the dorsal fin. The main fin is offset to account for engine torque, but is the dorsal fin off center as well?

It would seem that would put the dorsal fin pretty far over towards the nose, but then again having a “kink†where the two meet might look off too.

Thanks

Kyle

Hi Peter

You've got this, which slightly differ from the information you have already. This is from the P-51 B/C Parts list. There were probably more than one version of the seat, the parts list have two.

P-51_B_P-51_C_Parts_Catalog_01-60_JD-4-1

If you look at the P-51 D/K Parts list, you'll find this:

P-51_D_K_Parts_Catalogue_01_60_JE-4-167.

Cheers

Edited by GunnarO

Hi Peter,

Don't know if they'd be any help to you, but there's at least one shot of a P-51C cockpit and several very good ones of a P-51B cockpit in this album on the Scale Model Historians FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/683219335188246/permalink/1029350000575176/

Hey Dan, we need to get Randy to start a Flickr account.

He's got boatloads of great detail pics of lots of aircraft

that he posts on FB.. He said he's thinking about a

webpage so let's hope.