Revell's new 1/32nd Spitfire MkIXc

tomprobert

Evening all default_smile.png

The latest off the bench is Revell's new 1/32nd Spitfire MkIXc, which as I'm sure you know follows their release from a few years back of a Spitfire MkII and thus the breakdown of the kits is almost identical.

This was a very pleasurable build and it went together relatively trouble free; the only filling needed was as the wing root fairings where the moulding was slightly short - I've seen this on many other builds and know it wasn't just my kit which has this issue. The simple solution is to add a small plastic card shim to each fairing and smooth it in with Milliput and a wet finger, and the problem is solved in under 10 minutes.

At £25 I thought it fantastic value for money and will definitely be purchasing a few more. 

Decals for this one came from Xtradecal as the code-letters were off colour-wise on the Revell sheet. Paints were from the Xtracolour enamel range and it was finished with a coat of Humrol Matt varnish.

Supermarine Spitfire McIXc, 132 Squadron, RAF Detling, November 1943:

1CQNpyo.jpg?1

nR8zcjh.jpg?1

RsLKjmK.jpg?1

rYdLHDu.jpg?1

7juxKfU.jpg?1

gLk5ql8.jpg?1

lOMIMlK.jpg?1

And alongside the MkIIa which I completed earlier in the year:

jxxP8hM.jpg?1

wgMLWZa.jpg?1

Let's hope Revell keep giving us 1/32nd Spitfires at such reasonable prices - and roll on that P-51D!

Tom

I so wish I could get around to the Tamiya kit. It's very reasonable in price now, though the AM goodies would increase the cost. Still, it's the beginning of Tamiya's current run in 32-scale masterpieces. Your skill with the Revell kit shows it's very nicely executed!

Edited by Bill Cross

Looks very nice, Tom.

I am not among the Spitfire Fanatics, but is it safe to say that it meets the key criteria of "Looking" like a Spitfire IX? i.e., nothing in outline or proportions that looks positively borked?

I have the Tamiya Mk VIII and while its a lovely kit, i don't feel like spending a year and a half to build it.

I can see kits like these from Revell being serious force multipliers for sales of decal sheets.

-d-

Looks very nice, Tom.

I am not among the Spitfire Fanatics, but is it safe to say that it meets the key criteria of "Looking" like a Spitfire IX? i.e., nothing in outline or proportions that looks positively borked?

I have the Tamiya Mk VIII and while its a lovely kit, i don't feel like spending a year and a half to build it.

I can see kits like these from Revell being serious force multipliers for sales of decal sheets.

-d-

Many thanks, David.

I'm not sure about the accuracy of the kit to be honest as it's not something that bothers me too much. It looks to be a fairly reasonable representation of the real thing and that's all that matters to me.

In regard to the inevitable comparisons to the Tamiya offering it was the price that attracted me more than anything else to this kit. Although I'm sure the Tamiya kit beats this in overall quality, I'm not someone who can justify spending £100+ on a single engine fighter. In fact, I haven't bought any of the recent Tamiya releases as I think they're just too expensive in relation to the size of the finished model. Therefore, when Revell release the Mustang that'll be coming home rather than the Tamiya one for that very reason. For the price Revell charge, these kits are exceptional value.