Hairs in Paint Work?

G-Man

Just got done repainting the nose of my 109. Used the lint roller, then wiped the booth with excessive water so there was standing water. Worked great and thank goodness as I had just enough RLM04 to finish.

Question, when you paint something, where do you put it to dry?   Sometimes I will push what I've painted to the back of my paint booth but I keep the fan running,  the fan so far keeps anything from falling down on the model.  Mostly the part is vertical anyway leaning against the side wall or back wall.  Or I put it into a container and keep the lid ajar, but covered what I painted.

Good luck!

Chris

Question, when you paint something, where do you put it to dry? Sometimes I will push what I've painted to the back of my paint booth but I keep the fan running, the fan so far keeps anything from falling down on the model. Mostly the part is vertical anyway leaning against the side wall or back wall. Or I put it into a container and keep the lid ajar, but covered what I painted.

Good luck!

Chris

I leave it in the booth to dry, usually push it to one side so my cleaning station will fit. I let the booth run while I clean my airbrush so that it pulls the laquer fumes from my cleaning station. I use Mr. Color paints which don't take very long to dry.

My room is quite dusty, and i also have some dust bits of micro-hairs on my paint quite often. But as i always try to work with very thin coats of paint, it's dry almost instantly. So the dust is not very stuck in the paint, and it's usually easy to remove with some micromesh or even with a small pair of pliers if it's big enough.

I'm just very careful when i have to spray a wet coat, for example to get a high gloss finish. In that case i try to clean everything around, and i spray some water inside the paint booth.

My room is quite dusty, and i also have some dust bits of micro-hairs on my paint quite often. But as i always try to work with very thin coats of paint, it's dry almost instantly. So the dust is not very stuck in the paint, and it's usually easy to remove with some micromesh or even with a small pair of pliers if it's big enough.

I'm just very careful when i have to spray a wet coat, for example to get a high gloss finish. In that case i try to clean everything around, and i spray some water inside the paint booth.

Same here. It quells the dust and sticks the hairs down so they dont fly up into your work.  I also always make sure I have a nice tack cloth handy, and always go over the model thoroughly before painting. 

So I paint naked in the shower and use hot water so no wooly jumper required.

Sorry I couldn't resist....

This topic caught my attention as I've been laying paint on a project today. On coat 3 of primer, thin ones, and I find hairs, paper towel threads, whatever in my paint usually from the “cleaning†process. However, orange peel, dry overspray and surface flaws are far more common. Clearly a clean spray environment is advantageous to secure a good paint coat. May I suggest an additional investment in 1000-2000 grit sand paper and / or micro mesh sanding cloths. These, a little bit of soapy water and elbow grease will erase any number of painting sins. Hell if you're crazy you can turn flat paint glossy....don't ask how I know. I would suggest you could paint a model and dry it with your cat and with the right sanding tools you could make a contest winner.

Good luck and never underestimate what can be done to save a mistake.

In best of fun,

Timmy!

I use them for everything else as well, and they're not that much more at Hobby Lobby.

Edited by Gigant