HK Models 1/32 Do 335B

LSP_Kevin

mm I thought I'd posted a congrats on this build Kev, but I must be getting confused in my old age.  Congrats on this, and the AIR modeller article too - you've done a super job of putting this kit together.  It's been a pleasure to read through the entire thread and watch you weave your magic.  Much respect.

Dave

mm I thought I'd posted a congrats on this build Kev, but I must be getting confused in my old age.  Congrats on this, and the AIR modeller article too - you've done a super job of putting this kit together.  It's been a pleasure to read through the entire thread and watch you weave your magic.  Much respect.

Dave

Thanks, Dave - your kind words are much appreciated!

Kev

Yeah know what you mean.........my Mossie and Hurricane builds are a bit stalled at the moment.....work, family, life etc but promise I wont mention your Corsair build.......Doh I just did......really need to see some more on this one .

Regards. Andy

[...] promise I wont mention your Corsair build.......Doh I just did......really need to see some more on this one .

Don't worry, the Corsair will be back! I want to try to finish the P-39 first, now that I've started it - or at least, get as far a long as I can before the compulsion to change tack takes over.

Kev

• 5 months later...

Hello Kevin,

Your paint technique for all of those Dad-Blasted raised hoses and wires that are molded against the engine block looks great.  Do you have any suggestions on how to do this with such a clean result?  I would almost rather sand off  all of the hoses and spark plug wires and replace them with wire just to avoid the messes and spluts that go along with the fine paint brush detailing.  Do you have a step by step process on how to do this?  Dry brushing and washes work, but do you have any specific suggestions?  Your build looks outstanding!

Thank you!

Hello Kevin,

Your paint technique for all of those Dad-Blasted raised hoses and wires that are molded against the engine block looks great.  Do you have any suggestions on how to do this with such a clean result?  I would almost rather sand off  all of the hoses and spark plug wires and replace them with wire just to avoid the messes and spluts that go along with the fine paint brush detailing.  Do you have a step by step process on how to do this?  Dry brushing and washes work, but do you have any specific suggestions?  Your build looks outstanding!

Thank you!

Firstly, welcome aboard, sir!

:post1:

Secondly, thank you for your kind words about my build. They are much appreciated!

Now, to answer your questions. There are no real secrets as such, but there are certainly some things you can do to give yourself the maximum chance of success. The basics including making sure you have good lighting, and decent magnification if you need it (I certainly do!). I've been using a daylight OTT lamp in conjunction with an optivisor, but I'm currently migrating to a craning desk lamp with a daylight fluoro tube built in to a magnifying head. I'm yet to use it for anything like this project, though!

Good brushes are also an important factor, though I tend to be a bit of a butcher when it comes to paint brushes, so I ruin a lot of them, unfortunately. Try to avoid those brushes with the long, thin bristles - they're too hard to control, and don't hold enough paint. Sometimes a larger brush with a good quality point will do a better job than one that's too small.

I think finding a paint that flows well off the brush is also important, and fast-drying acrylics tend to fight you on this front. For the pipework on this build, I stuck almost exclusively with Mr. Metal Color, which, while fast-drying, does flow off the brush pretty nicely, as long as you refresh the brush with new paint constantly, and swish it in some thinner when it starts to become clogged. Having the paint flow nicely off the brush really gives you a much greater sense of control with your brush strokes, which in turn generally gives you a better result.

If there's any secret at all, though, it's this: a lot of my initial brush work was not as clean as the final result, but I kept a sharpened toothpick to hand, and as soon as I strayed from the lines, I took to the wayward paint with the toothpick, and gently scraped it away. This has to be done quickly and judiciously, but neatens and straightens up the edges of the paint work very nicely. And again, the Mr. Metal Color paint works really well in this regard, as it doesn't have a lot of bite. Needless to say, some sections had to be done more than once, and the whole process was quite laborious, but your feedback tells me that it was probably worth it!

I hope this is of some help to you.

Kev

• 1 year later...

Looks like all your pics are working, Kev, and I swear they load faster, too.

It was refreshing going back thru this build as it was a good one!

Thanks, Ray. I must admit that I quite enjoyed looking back on it myself.

Kev