720 replies to this topic

#721 brahman104

brahman104

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:06 AM

Craig,

"Third time is a charm". In this case you did it in two!

The first one looked pretty darn good, but compared with the slimmed down look of #2, it now looks like a "clunker". NICE RECOVERY (as usual)!

The overlap panel lines looks more to scale; did you go with a thinner skinning?

The "oil can" effect really adds some extra dimension.

Terry

Thanks Terry! Interestingly enough, I decided to do two things. Firstly I annealed each piece, not just the ones with tight curves, which contributed to the oil canning effect. Secondly, I didn't actually overlap the panels, just gave the illusion that I did with the corresponding rivet detail. It seemed to come out okay, but I still have to work out how to do the overlap for the fuselage panels.

Silly question sir,
how do you apply your rivets and what tools do you use? Are you applying the rivets as a dimple on the surface or are you pressing them from the back before you apply the sheet?

THEY LOOK AMAZING!!!

Dan

Thanks Dan. On the fin, I embossed all the lines using a rivet wheel. I then annealed each piece and went over each one on a piece of styrene with a beading tool. The tail is flush riveted, so it was all done on the top surface. The rest of the fuselage is "domed" rivets, so have to be done from the back, which are considerably more difficult. Just today I was educated on a much better approach, and hopefully I'll be able to demonstrate that soon, but the next update won't be for a little while yet. Stay tuned though!

Cheers, craig
  • Dan Paxton likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scratchbuild, hk models, B-17

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users