Rebuilding my Hellcat 1/32 Hasegawa

tchwrma

Hi, friends. This is my 1/32 Hellcat from Hasegawa. This kit was build some years ago, but I never was satisfied with the results.

So a few days ago I decided to fix it.

This are the kit before the removal of the paint.

FUjpHFr.jpg

Here the kit with the paint removed, and some parts too.

2uf5BUu.jpg

qKBNCau.jpg

Corrections in the side windows. It was really a pain in the ass to put the scratched windows with the kit assembled. But I believe that is good.

0QDOTEZ.jpg

Engine repainted. I need to paint the details.

tkmwmL9.jpg

the Cowling has a lot of troubles. Here corrected, ready to be glued to the plane.

faD9WFb.jpg

0KTpmHq.jpg

Flaps reworked:

A8dmXXJ.jpg

The original panel are poor. Then I made another one with a resin part, drilled and sanded in the back, to glue the dials. The green part are still umpainted. To complete the panel, I glued a piece of PE. This still need to be finished.

8vlsHpA.jpg

The original wheel, in the right are mad. I will use the rubber tyre from the Tamiya 1/32 corsair to fix this. I will copy them in resin and use the old wheel as a wheel hub. To this I removed the tyre part and sanded the hub to be used in the new wheel. This picture is only to see if it fits.

kbWuLma.jpg

Starting the scribbing of the lines and the riveting, using my new RB tools riveter. Absolutely astounding!

iOcit5j.jpg

rQBZKMC.jpg

This is for now.

Cheers, Paulo.

Edited by tchwrma

• 2 weeks later...

I resolved to create the flap doors, who close the gap between the flaps and the wing, who not are represented in the kit. I did it with Epoxi mass, sanded and refined.

At this point I closed the wheel bay gaps. This is the results, after a little primer, to see the possible defects.

0TD2T5t.jpg

GDZcVqh.jpg

2OW6T0a.jpg

RISYvpx.jpg

h3AzYfs.jpg

iEq1Fk6.jpg

soon, more pics.

Cheers, Paulo.

Edited by tchwrma

I admire your persistence Paulo....I definitely wouldn't re-build this kit, let alone build another at any time!

I never expect to have so many work with this project. The initial idea was only repaint it. But when i removed the old paint, ther have so many things that could be fixed, that I could not let behind. Now is just a riveting job and paint it. At least I hope so...

Paulo.

Some progress:

I never like the original Fuel tank supports.

PUUmEdk.jpg

So I replaced the support by metal tubes:

JQZPuyw.jpg

Then I sanded the fixing belt to create my own:

DzBd0oN.jpg

This is my Belts in metal:

enxn43l.jpg

And one dryfit to see if it fits:

FLv0Qvh.jpg

Here the flaps actuators:

JfXG3pZ.jpg

ygQi0Cq.jpg

And some dryfit pics, to show how they look:

ddcyXAk.jpg

ZLEpKHz.jpg

pTuBydw.jpg

gqmrtgR.jpg

For now it is. Comments, please.

Paulo.

Great work Paulo!   

Im with Shaka on this one, I would never have the intestinal fortitude to try to re-do a previously done model of mine (although I do have many that I am/was unsatisfied with).

I normally like to use those kinds of builds as markers to where my skills were at that time.  

Your persistence is remarkable, and the results show. Model on, and looking forward to more progress!