Canadian Big Cat

scvrobeson

Hey Guys.  I just put the finishing touches on my Takom Leopard C2 MEXAS with the Legend Update and Stowage sets.  Build was really fun and easy, and weathering was a great adventure. Most of the weathering was done using the hairspray method to show the distinctive way that the sand weathered on these tanks.  The rest was done with Mig pigments ground into the paintwork and still slightly tacky flat coat. This really helped the pigments stick and grind into the paint.  The stowage set helped add some things you normally see on Leopards, and the Legend Update Set is a requirement if you're going to do an in-service vehicle. Takom's kit represents an early Leopard in Canada, but they have been heavily modified since arriving in Afghanistan in 2006.  

Hope you guys enjoy

012_zpsdqyesoiu.jpg

013_zpsvgpfxc90.jpg

015_zpswkzq7zk6.jpg

017_zpsumkwchop.jpg

First painting stages done, now for the weathering!

008_zps890omqhj.jpg

009_zpszwlzw1nu.jpg

011_zpsiw60fejl.jpg

013_zpsltzitpba.jpg

016_zpsxx5nepph.jpg

017_zpssbewnpad.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Holy Cow, fantastic build and weathering. Absolutely first class and the weathering is just perfect.  The cooler on the top of the turret is a show stopper detail

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter

Matt

Holy Cow, fantastic build and weathering. Absolutely first class and the weathering is just perfect.  The cooler on the top of the turret is a show stopper detail

Peter

Thanks Peter!  I just saw that Legend included a really well detailed cooler, so I had to add it onto my build.  Figured the tank crew would want something cold out on those desert patrols.

Matt  :frantic:

That is great, the little details really make it, like the I luv Aberta Beef bumper sticker,  the water bottles and the blue Colman cooler.

Great weathering also.

Ron

Thanks very much Ron. Glad you like the work. The I Love Beef sticker was a fun little touch, must be a tank driver with a sense of humor out there.

The water bottles are actually used for glow sticks on night operations. They toss the glow sticks in there to help the convoy stay in formation at night.  Pretty cool little piece of battlefield ingenuity

I'm not a tank guy, but even I can tell that that's very nicely done, Matt.

Good work!

Kev

Thanks very much Kev!  I'm becoming a tank guy, slowly. There are so many beautiful kits out there of awesome vehicles, have to give them a shot. I've got four more tank kits in the stash to build, but I've got some planes to finish first.

Matt

Peter

I liked the Cots on the side of the turret :goodjob: 

That is great, the little details really make it, like the I luv Aberta Beef bumper sticker,  the water bottles and the blue Colman cooler.

Great weathering also.

Ron

Thanks very much Ron. Glad you like the work. The I Love Beef sticker was a fun little touch, must be a tank driver with a sense of humor out there.

The water bottles are actually used for glow sticks on night operations. They toss the glow sticks in there to help the convoy stay in formation at night.  Pretty cool little piece of battlefield ingenuity

Matt   The guy that put the sticker on the real tank is a modeler to. Bill Cross may be able to tell you who he is and what position he is. I think he was the driver :hmmm: He posts on Armorama 

I like what you have done with this kit. Lovely job.

Cheers

Nice cat!

I guess you think about Anthony Sewards. He was a Leopard I commander in Afghanistan.

He is a nice guy and is often on the Modern Canadian Vehicles Discussion Group. He released excellent sets of DVD pictures mainly shot in Afghanistan. If you want to build a Canuck Leopard, LAV, M113 or mine-protected vehicle, look at them. They are the best and cheapest source of information about such vehicles. Highly recommended. He also contributed to the Leopardclub references. Look here for one example: http://leopardclub.ca/FactFile/FF003/

HTH

Thierry

Guest Clunkmeister

I think tanks are cool, a nice diversion from aircraft.

This C2 is by far the most realistic looking build I've seen. And I've seen some nice ones...