Sure plan to use my LSP F4U Cowl corr. but anyone test the Tamiya?

phasephantomphixer

Without digging through my Trump kits off the top of my head the Trump cowl tapers back to front.

The old Revell is more cylindrical but front panel line is not in right spot.

Maybe somebody else can confirm my recollection.

Jon

Edited by fastzx

• 2 weeks later...

I was at my parents' place so I grabbed my Trumpy Corsair while I was there and quickly glued the Tamiya cowl together to find out. There is a difference in diametre between the two kits.

The Trumpy cowl. Please excuse the crummy photo and mouth on the cowl. It's supposed to be Skipper from Planes.

IMG_20150917_153215.jpg

The Tamiya cowl with closed flaps.

IMG_20150917_153312.jpg

If you use the open flaps, it looks better since the open flaps mask the step between the cowl and the fuselage but then you have to figure out how to attach it.

Let me know if you want to see more pics and I can try to take a couple more.

Carl

Great check out and thanks for pics. Carl, I got the clear set from David (THANKS!) and did an "in box" comparison but it seemed it would be more difficult since the Tamiya rings, etc. attach to the engine assy.? Were you able to assemble and place the Tamiya cowl assy. to the Trump. without engine Carl?

Carl, thanks a lot for doing this. I had always wondered about the size compatability. Proves the saying, "One test is worth a thousand expert opinions".

Have you compared it to the Revell Corsair??

david

The LSP corrected cowl for the Trumpeter kit is based off the Revell part, and those two are nicely interchangeable at the interface to the fuselage. This suggests that the Tamiya cowl with fit the Revell kit in roughly the same fashion as Carl shows with the Trumpeter kit.

Kev