Revel and Hasegawa Fw 190F-8 kits - a comparison

D Bellis

This is a comparison of the new Revell Fw 190F-8 against the Hasegawa Fw 190F-8 so folks can decide which kit they prefer. Anything questionable was checked against photographs and other information to determine which kit (if either) got it right.

Obviously, the full engine and separate control surfaces of the Revell kit are big plusses. And, the low price of the Revell kit in the US makes it hard to pass up. But, not everyone builds their models with everything hanging open. And, elsewhere in the world, the new Revell kit costs almost as much as the Hasegawa.

This is not intended to be an in-depth scrutiny of either kit's accuracy. Rather, it is a direct comparison from a modeler's standpoint in an effort to clear up some of the myths, misconceptions and hype already associated with this new kit. Also, these were just the things that I was looking at. Your mileage may differ. If so, please feel free to document it and share it here.

The Hasegawa kit's overall accuracy is widely reputed to be quite good, with the notable exceptions of prop, spinner and late upper fuselage gun cover shapes (along with some other, minor things). This is why the Hasegawa kit was chosen as the baseline for checking out the new Revell kit. Overall engineering, shapes and sizes are very similar between the two kits - almost to the point of the parts being interchangeable. Almost. The following images are being posted merely to illustrate the differences between the two kits so that the buyer can make up his/her own mind.

Starting at the front:

01_zpsokh2yr22.jpg

Updated spinner information HERE.

03_zpsihwgu31p.jpg

02_zps8il5zugn.jpg

04_zpseob0sy18.jpg

05a_zpsu2k0lmsl.jpg

05_zpsgsbxbtfy.jpg

Four more posts to come as the spam filter allows...

Edited by D Bellis

23_zpsqxv9gxm2.jpg

24_zps8hqbbkbj.jpg

25_zpsid0ubpip.jpg

26_zps3hzvt1c8.jpg

Last but not least, the mystery part (E41):
06_zpsvpqi7wio.jpg

If anyone has pics of the real thing with that style of muzzle flash suppressors (assuming that's what they are), I'd love to see them.

Just a quick summary, because not everything made it into the pics above...

The Revell kit's hits (over the Hasegawa kit):
  1) Full engine and fuselage gun parts.
  2) Slide-molded gun barrels and exhaust parts.
  3) Separate control surfaces.
  4) Instrument panel coaming and gunsight position.
  5) Different parts for flaps up or down.
  6) Different canopy parts for open or closed.
  7) Different landing gear parts for up or down.
  8) Tail wheel & tire separate from yoke.
  9) Fw 190G-8 cowl part with faired-over troughs (part B39).
  10) Softer, more user-friendly plastic.
  11) One-piece prop blades & hub.
  12) Low price in the US.

The Revell kit's missed opportunities to get it right:
  1) Prop blades 25% too narrow. (Hasegawa's blades 10.5% too wide, and misshaped.)
  2) Spinner shaped well, but too large in diameter. (Hasegawa's right diameter, but misshaped.)
  3) Fictitious main wheel well shrouds.
  4) Fictitious panel line on top of aft fuselage.
  5) Cowl side bulges misshaped.
  6) Softer/sparser detail overall.
  7) Upper fuselage gun cover misshaped.
  8) Thick wing trailing edges
  9) No seated pilot figure (odd since the kit includes parts to depict it in flight. Also, the Hasegawa kits include a seated pilot figure).

Is the Revell Fw 190F "The New Gold Standard" kit? That's up to you.

Hope someone finds this information useful. :)

D

Edited by D Bellis

Much appreciated.

Looks like trumpeter style, btw: let someone do it who has no familiarity with the subject.

(can we have the measurements in mm too, pls?)

Edited by Hardcore

Many thanks for your effort,

last week I went to a tank museum close by. There I saw a 3 man crew taking 3D scans and photos (scanning the swiss tank 68).

Well I thought soon we will have a tank 68 hope in 1/35 but surprisingly those people where from "World of Tanks"??

Why nowadays big companies are not able to use the latest technology, small mismatches I can accept but not those like prop, fuselage & cowling.
let's see what ZM will deliver and the I will decide because I have 2 FW190A on stock.

This is a comparison of the new Revell Fw 190F-8 against the Hasegawa Fw 190F-8 so folks can decide which kit they prefer. Anything questionable was checked against photographs and other information to determine which kit (if either) got it right.

Obviously, the full engine and separate control surfaces of the Revell kit are big plusses. And, the low price of the Revell kit in the US makes it hard to pass up. But, not everyone builds their models with everything hanging open. And, elsewhere in the world, the new Revell kit costs almost as much as the Hasegawa.

This is not intended to be an in-depth scrutiny of either kit's accuracy. Rather, it is a direct comparison from a modeler's standpoint in an effort to clear up some of the myths, misconceptions and hype already associated with this new kit. Also, these were just the things that I was looking at. Your mileage may differ. If so, please feel free to document it and share it here.

The Hasegawa kit's overall accuracy is widely reputed to be quite good, with the notable exceptions of prop, spinner and late upper fuselage gun cover shapes (along with some other, minor things). This is why the Hasegawa kit was chosen as the baseline for checking out the new Revell kit. Overall engineering, shapes and sizes are very similar between the two kits - almost to the point of the parts being interchangeable. Almost. The following images are being posted merely to illustrate the differences between the two kits so that the buyer can make up his/her own mind.

Excellent D!!! :D

Thanks for taking the time to do the comparison! ...

Seems a little like the 109 and Spitfire releases ... good, but could have been better?

Looking at the photos, it seems the Hasegawa detail is just a little more crisp ... 

Rog :)