"Lady LiL" - RFI - Foiled HKM B-25J Strafer

Out2gtcha

It might have taken 6 months, but it sure resulted in a spectacular looking B-25 ! Very cool and instructive to follow the build too, thanks for that! It seems that the people behind the engineering of this kit have done a great job, but it's still the modeller that has to make it look like a real airplane and that you did with great skill !

Congratulations !

Nic

• 4 months later...

Brian, absolutely magnificent, this NMF is just awesome, you did a marvelous job on her, very realistic and subtle weathering, i'm really impressed!!!

Thanks again for the positive comments. Really means a lot to have others look at your work and think its nice. Its our art after all............

Roy,

Yes. It was definitely a LOT of work. Surprisingly however the foil did not seem like the largest percentage of the work. I got foil tutelage from the best in the biz, Ken Friend (AKA "foiler" here on LSP) so that part really didnt seem like work..................it was the rest of the bloody thing that seemed to take forEVER.

NOT surprisingly however was the reaction to it at my local IPMS club. Nil. The "established" body of members from my IPMS club are guys who are nice enough to your face, but pretty strictly build in 48th, 72nd and even a lot in 1/144th, with NONE seeming to like or respect foiling.

I believe the first reaction from that group of guys was (upon seeing a corner of the foil of one panel pulling up due to the change in humidity from outside to inside):

"Yeah, that does seem to happen to foil a lot"

And that was about the extent of ANY comments I got on it from that body of guys. Needless to say, I dont really go to that many of those meetings any more. I still retain my membership and go to the occasional meeting so I can be involved with sanctioned contests and any IPMS events.

Probably they are in shock by the level of detail fetched in these larger scales.

Of course, some have mastered the super-detailing even in 1/72 scale and so, but just think about it... those super-detailers would be able to super-detail more than twice as much super-detailing in 1/32. So the argument of "no need to go into those large scales because these smaller scales can be detailed just as well) really doesn't stand.

Edited by Roy vd M.

Ahaaaa !!  I finally found this thread.  I've got the thread from Works in Progress in my bookmarks but not this one.   Well, it's in there now.  Your threads are the tutorial for my own foiling.   I've also got one of these kits on deck and now I have a great addition to the HKM B-25 instruction book with both threads in my research. This is fantastic.  It doesn't look like a model that has a NMF, it looks like a metal model. I'm glad this finally popped up.  I agree with Roy that the club members are in shock.  To me, you can throw way more detail at a 1/32 scale piece.  You can't just simulate certain things, you have to make them well because everyone can see them better.  Don't let the nurks get you down.  We all know what you can do.  

I'm also glad you mentioned Ken, aka foiler.  I had forgotten his name and was hoping I could find his work so I can see his approach.  I remember I had some of his work on my other computer but when that computer crashed, it all went bye bye.  

Thanks guys!

Yeah SD, Ken is a great guy and I owe my start in foiling to him. Really nice guy, and a master beyond my words with foil. Does some of the best foil spinners around..........which I still have yet to master............