What Kind(s) of Paint Are On Your Work Bench?

Stuka

Guest Peterpools

J

I wish it was that .. I seem to be compulsive about diving in and trying every new paint ... it's a disease; uncontrollable at times. The worst is, I seem to be very lucky and have no issues with any of the paints.

Thank you for the offer and if a question or issue comes up, I'll be asking.

Peter

John,

I would assume that it's true, at least for military builders. If acrylics weren't so popular, then I would find it rather difficult to understand why the vast majority of new companies are coming out with Acrylic lines.

In the world of automotive modeling, it's by far dominated by lacquers and Urethane 2 part clear coats, just like in the real world.

Joel

Hey Joel,

Good to know.

Being pretty much a aircraft-only modeler, I'm not exposed to that many car guys.

With regards to lacquers and car models, I just received some RLM lacquers made by Model Car World.

They look beautiful color-wise: seem to be spot on and diluted for spraying right out of the bottle.

I'll be putting them through the spray test soon and will publish the results on MPS.

Have you (or anyone else) shot these lacquers?

Thanks,

--John

J

I wish it was that .. I seem to be compulsive about diving in and trying every new paint ... it's a disease; uncontrollable at times. The worst is, I seem to be very lucky and have no issues with any of the paints.

Thank you for the offer and if a question or issue comes up, I'll be asking.

Peter

Hey Peter,

Next time I have issues with an acrylic, I'll be emailing you for help :)

best,

--J

Hey Joel,

Good to know.

Being pretty much a aircraft-only modeler, I'm not exposed to that many car guys.

With regards to lacquers and car models, I just received some RLM lacquers made by Model Car World.

They look beautiful color-wise: seem to be spot on and diluted for spraying right out of the bottle.

I'll be putting them through the spray test soon and will publish the results on MPS.

Have you (or anyone else) shot these lacquers?

Thanks,

--John

John,

I've bought and tested Zero lacquer paints for the few race car models that I've been trying to find the time to build for a few years now. They do indeed come pre-thinned and are  true lacquers, applied in a few light coats, then a few wet coats. polished lightly, then either the 2 part Urethane or the one part gloss clear lacquer (the 2 part gives you a much deeper shine). Polish and it produces a gloss finish with that mile deep shine. It's the same process that real cars are painted with.

When and If I ever do an aircraft in a museum gloss finish, I'll be using one of Zero or Gravity's clear coats, not Testors Glosscoat (my usual go to).

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

I too use all types of paint, depending on what I am doing and how I want the paint to interface with what is below it or going on above it....

But my default, and what I use for 95% of uses....is Mr. Color.  It is just unbelievably good.  Sprays well, dries fast, and is durable and immune to most weathering.

I too use all types of paint, depending on what I am doing and how I want the paint to interface with what is below it or going on above it....

But my default, and what I use for 95% of uses....is Mr. Color.  It is just unbelievably good.  Sprays well, dries fast, and is durable and immune to most weathering.

Hey Brian,

I couldn't agree more.

Gunze lacquers are simply some of the best.

I just finished the Trumpeter 1/48 Fw190 V18 "Kanguruh"and used Gunze Silver#8 as a base coat for

LIfeColor RLM02 which scratched off beautifully to produce a recently riveted appearance: great paint.

I have access to one shop that sells Gunze: it can be hard to find.

I'm considering a new line of lacquers to carry on Model Paint Solutions, in part, because of the difficulties in

availability of Gunze in some places.

Have you found that to be the case?

Thanks

-John

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering a new line of lacquers to carry on Model Paint Solutions, in part, because of the difficulties in

availability of Gunze in some places.

Hi John

What brand of lacquers are you considering? Always open to new paints, especially lacquers.

Cheers,

D.B.

Hi John

What brand of lacquers are you considering? Always open to new paints, especially lacquers.

Cheers,

D.B.

Hey D.B.,

I've got a  couple of lines on my bench to test but one I'm really impressed with is the Military Finishes line by Model Car World.

Awesome paint. Some of the most accurate paints color-wise I've seen.

The manufacturer/owner takes pride in their accuracy for good reason.

The solvent is Ppg  Duracryl. They come pre-thinned, and shoot like a dream.

I'll be publishing an article on them soon.

Have you perchance used this paint or any of the automotive colors in their range?

best,

--John

Hey D.B.,

I've got a  couple of lines on my bench to test but one I'm really impressed with is the Military Finishes line by Model Car World.

I'll be publishing an article on them soon. I look forward to it.

Have you perchance used this paint or any of the automotive colors in their range?  Never have, didn't even know about their military colors. Is there a site where I can check them out?

Thanks,

D.B.

best,

--John

Hey D.B.,

I'll be publishing an article on them soon. I look forward to it.

Have you perchance used this paint or any of the automotive colors in their range?  Never have, didn't even know about their military colors. Is there a site where I can check them out?

Thanks,

D.B.

best,

--John

Hey D.B.,

The line isn't up yet on the manufacturers website, Wings, Wheels, and Waves.

Here a link: http://www.wingswheelswaves.com/

Till they're listed on WWW, here's a link to a brief introduction on Cybermodeler:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/paint/mcw/paint_mcw_paints.shtml

I'm half way through the MPS spray test and they shoot beautifully.

I'll be posting a review on the MPS site soon.

best,

--John

Hey D.B.,

Till they're listed on WWW, here's a link to a brief introduction on Cybermodeler:

best,

--John

Thanks for the info, John. I look forward to your test results. Let us know if you decide to carry the line.

Cheers,

D.B.

Hey D.B.,

best,

--John

Hey D.B.,

Let me correct that.

The line IS up and here's the link:

http://mcwfinishes.com/

The "Military Finishes" line is what I'm testing now.

Awesome paint.

Apologies for the earlier post.

For some reason, I could not find it on my confuser, I mean computer.

best,

--John