1/32 Revell Mig21 SPS

LSP_Matt

This is one I originally decided I'd be building OOB...until I started scribing and adding rivets. B) I'll maybe add some cockpit details, but will display it wheels up. I want to keep the superb lines of the Mig 21.

post-4-1129534956.jpg

My first time trying riveting with proper tools. I'm using a Rosie wheel riveter for the bulk of the rivets and the MDC for those rivets that are more pronounced.

Hmmm B) I read LSP Chris describe a mortar and pestle technique for the MDC but feel I've overdone it on the verticals...perhaps some CA and redo for those.

Maybe you can see where I've gone over with the Rosie. I'm finding the plastic pretty hard to press the detail into. I practiced on some evergreen plastic first and that was no dramas. I did notice the angle I held the handle altered the shape of the rivet hole. The more vertical I held Rosie the more circular shape achieved. When I made the angle more acute wrt to the riveting surface I tended to see a lead in 'drag' to the rivet hole. It seems easier to push along the surface like this. This effect is visible in LSP Rato's article on Riveting.

So...does anyone have any hints on recomended techniques? How hard? How fast? Press into the panel or let the tool do the work? Also following my first run over the panel the rivets are pretty fine...more so after some 1200 Wet n Dry. Is this normal?

Cheers guys

Matt

post-4-1129538465.jpg

The top surface of the wing was about an hour. Normal or is this slow? B) Oh man I'm wondering why I'm doing all these rivets now.

Left wing...untouched except for scribing,

Right Wing...Riveted and scribed...I tried to use the reflecting light to capture what was almost invisible with the vertical tail photo. ;)

post-4-1129553897.jpg

;) B) ;) Yep...got it bad alright. Going for the one in the pic...the only photo I've found on that bird. Decal kit comes with sharks jaws...is there any other choice therefore? :lol:

P38..know what you mean about the rough overspray...?mask with blue tac and paper towel IOT avoid?

Cheers Matt

Guest LSP_Jay L

Have fun with that rivetting Matt!. Wait till you get to the rounded stuff. Loads o fun!!

Nice choice in markings mate. It will be a really nice model when it's finished.

Cheers mate,

Jay

Wait till you get to the rounded stuff. Loads o fun!!

:lol: :lol:

already seen that in the forecast and went :ph34r: :lol:

cheers Jay

thanks Matty but like Jay said....we'll wait till I'm off the paved road and into the dirt. The rounded fuselage wil sort me out I reckon. For sure Sean...WTG!

cheers guys

There are no side panels supplied for the cockpit...must have been the MiG101 version.

I suppose there must have been a lot of complexity flying this plane given there is one engine, apparently 2 throttles with 4 levers... and they are located within easy reach behind the ejection seat.

All I can think of is that someone at Revell was taking drugs when they designed this pit.

Oh...sorry the shots are out of focus...the camera lies when its AF says OK.

Now I have to decide if to completely scratch build a cockpit.... :unsure:

post-4-1129791776.jpg

Hello

Yesss ! a MiG !

Rosie is a very good modeller's friend, and the MiG is really a Bubonous plane ... ;)

Cool job on the on the instrument panels, but I have two questions for you.

Does the German 21 don't have this lovely turquoise blue green, kitchen of the 50es cockpit shade ?

and there is a smart feature of the soviet jets (but again, your panel might not be complete), the vertical white line that acts as a quick help for putting wings to level ?

however, it's coming along nicely.

:ph34r:

Cheers

Stef (#6)