Northrop HL-10 1/24th scale

HL-10

Hi,

I wasn't planning to do a further update yet but, I had to share the disgusting colour of the primer/filler.

The stuff is an automotive product and is a very fine grade aerosole filler.

After the first coat I sanded it back, re-coated, fine tuned the finish with Green Putty and I am now polishing it with Micromesh ready for the metal cote.

I have not decided what to use yet. As this aircraft had a very highly polished finish I am even considering trying Bare Metal Foil.

post-4-1128064299.jpg

Angelo,

Good luck if you go down the bare metal foil road (at least, the bare metal foil is already self adhesive). I use normal kitchen foil on all of my NMF models (the cheaper grades are actually better than the thicker 'quality' grades!). Try to cover as much as possible with a single sheet of foil. however, due to the compound curved nature of your masterpiece, I would suggest that you mark/scribe all of the panel lines on it first, then apply the foil in as many strps as you can. If you have an overlap of foil at the rounded ends, lightly snad the edge of the foil before you overlap the next piece. Careful (very light) sanding, or wire wool/micro-mesh scouring pad (running along the length of the craft, from front to rear) should blend in all of the individual strips. Any gaps in the foil, or fuselage to fin fillet areas, can can have smaller strips or pieces of foil added to conceal them (or touch in with similar coloured silver paint). See attached my 1/72nd scale P-47 that is entirely covered in kitchen foil as an example. Good luck Angelo, I'm sure that it will come out very well what ever finish you finally decide to adopt.

Best regards

Derek

post-4-1128069976.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the progress.

I decided to use Humbrols polished aluminium for the metal finish.

I will vary the panels by shading with varnishes and washes.

It's in the middle of having its decals put on.

The "lump" in front of it is the master for the vac form nose dome.

post-4-1128867793.jpg

Thanks for all the comments guys, really appreciate them.

When I've finished, I'll do a brief write up on the history, appart from being featured in the credit sequence of "The Six Million Dollar Man" this plane had a realy important part to play in the development of the space shuttle.

Thanks again,

All the best,

Angelo :blink:

Hi again.

The decals are on, the pin stripes were fun! :(

Undercariage is on, this was done from raiding the spares box.

On the real machine theye came off a T-38for the main gear & a T-39

for the nose. The undercariage doors were cut from aluminium sheet.

I've started working on the panels to create a less block colour appearence.

So far I have applied some matt varnish to a few panels, rudder and, rollerons.

Having some problems vac forming a nose dome, bot I'll keep at it.

post-4-1129208335.jpg