HK Models 1/32 Do 335B

LSP_Kevin

Thanks fellas - you're all too kind! I really haven't gotten very far yet though. Still cleaning up ejector pin marks and trying to orient myself around the sheer number of (numberless) parts. I've started painting up the cockpit and test-fitting a few more components. One immediate deviation from OOB will be to add some seat belts; I left them out of the Meteor build, and like that kit, this one doesn't come with any, but I want to add them this time. I'll dig out a set from either Radu or HGW (I'm pretty sure I've got one or the other somewhere).

Hopefully the next update will be a little more...photographic.

Kev

I found the best way to remove casting and mold release is to use automatic dishwasher detergent.  Basically if you put your fingers in the solution and they then feel quite slimy and take some effort to rinse off, the solution is correctly mixed.  Then I place the parts in a glass or plastic dish or tub overnite to soak.  That usually removes all the mold release and makes the surface where it will hold paint quite well.

I do this same bit when cleaning out my Thermos cup from tea stains.  Hot tap water, some Cascade, and an overnite soak and no more tea stains!

:beer:

Another thing  to remember with this particular plane is that at the time it was built there wasn't much attempt put forth to paint interior fuselage and wing parts for corrion control.  It seems that the bomb bay photos I have seen are all bare metal. (aluminum?)  Not sure about the engine compartments or wheel wells, and the cockpit is painted.

Really looking forword to seeing this build, and the kit when it is available.

Thanks for the info Paul. I'm probably going to stick with standard Luftwaffe interior colours on this one, with perhaps some natural metal on the gear and bomb bay doors to add interest.

It's becoming clear though that my attempts to remove the mould-release agent have been inadequate, at least where all the detail is concerned. I'm experiencing some very strange paint effects, including a weird crazing in the finish in some areas. And unfortunately progress is going very slowly, so still no photos.

Kev

Thanks Ron. Most of the interior parts are already base-coated, and luckily I'm only seeing issues in a few small areas. Parts that so far remain unpainted may well yet get the bleach treatment however! Just wish I could figure out a way of neatly painting all that moulded-in pipe work - perhaps I should just send it to Wolf Buddee!

Kev

Well, I guess it's time I showed you blokes some photos, so here goes. More work on the ejector pin marks:

xnHGFP.jpg

And after priming and painting:

c7bUJc.jpg

The ones in the recessed area are still visible up close, but this is the floor of the engine bay, so no one will ever notice. The unpainted section won't be visible on the completed model, so I left the ejector pin marks alone in that area.

Here's the finished belly fuel tank, which goes into the bomb bay on the B-2 aircraft:

iWHGtM.jpg

The Mr. Paint RLM 66 is definitely too dark for my tastes, but is a pleasure to work with. I've just spend several hours painting the details on two of the panels that form the nose wheel bay - the roof and one of the sides:

7FIYuq.jpg

BC7CC3.jpg

This is some of the most challenging detail painting I've ever done, so I hope it looks OK. Here's what they look like joined:

Nt11Hp.jpg

I don't rate myself at all when it comes to detail painting, but I'm pretty happy with the progress so far. I used the following photo from the Monarch book as my primary painting reference:

6El73r.jpg

As you can see, if you wanted to, you could take things a heck of a lot further than I have! And if you're going to build this kit, you really need this book.

There's still several panels and bulkheads to go with just as much detail though, so progress doesn't look like speeding up any time soon. Even straight out of the box, this kit requires a significant investment from you.

Hopefully back with more soon...

Kev