Tamiya F-4J VF-84

SciFi58

I would like to join with the Tamiya F-4J. I have two sets of decals from Cam, Phantom Data and markings for the VF-84 (It's my goal to build every plane I can in 32nd scale that ever flew the Jolly Roger). I also have a Black Box cockpit which isn't really necessary as the Tamiya cockpit is nice but since I have it.

Here are my project pics (pardon but I lost the lid to the kit in a move so I pirated one from the internet):

project1.jpg

project2.jpg

project3.jpg

Here is my first night of progress minus pics of sanding the pour stubs off the cockpit tubs and seats:

intakes1-1.jpg

intakes2.jpg

intakes3.jpg

intakes4.jpg

Now the tedious task of getting the intakes smooth inside. For Tamiya, there isn't great fit here. Little shelf on both inner halves.

More to come and thank you for looking.

Sounds like another great Phantom adventure. I too like the "Jolly Roger" motif!

I plan one as a future build on an F-4B so I’ll be watching yours. :speak_cool:

Please check your references as I do not believe that VF-84 used the “flag” after they transitioned to the F-4J. I think that was used only on the F-4B when they moved to the F-4J they went to the solid black vertical stabilizer and rudder with the “Skull & Crossed Bones” but I could be wrong!

Cheers,

Barry

Well thanks everybody, for pointing out my faux pax before I made an ass of myself. Duh... I just saw F-4 VF-84, George and I would hug it and squeeze it.... Good news is I will build a B someday.

But as for my current project, well, moral question for everyone. I'll look and post to see if I can get the F-4J Yellowhammer decals but in case I can't, does anyone know of any alternatives or, the moral question, if I steal an image of the Yellowhammer decals off the internet and print them on frisket to make paint masks, do you think there is anything wrong with that?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all who pointed out my variant Faux pas. The next day I got an email with an offer for the Yellowhammer decals and am back on track.

The fuselage is continuing along but the drama of the intakes has gone down a nasty backwoods gravel road. I thought I only had to worry about the seams but the inner intakes, as I'm sure you all knew already, don't blend into the trunk. Dunno what I'm gonna do here cept get the sandpaper out.

Intakesinside1.jpg

Intakesinside2.jpg

Wonder how bad the Revell intakes are? I have that CAM G conversion I wanna do.

Check out the method pioneered by our own late, lamented Russell camp- his method is relatively painless, and I can attest to this- the problems I had were of my own making, but the end result is worth it. Here is a pic of my Tamiya intakes made using Russ' technique, which can be found here on LSP-

DSCF0804.jpg