Scratchbuilt Hawker Sea Hawk

http://www.rhino3d.com/download

demo is save-crippled after 25 saves, but it will work otherwise; enough to get to grips with it, certainly!

Level 1 tutorials are here:-

http://www.rhino3d.com/download/rhino/5.0/Rhino5Level1Training

You need to put your e-mail in, but definitely worth a look!

Tim

Update on progress. I had the 4+ plans enlarged at my local print shop, and they cocked up their calculations (Maths, not the young generations strong point, obviously! I threw the lad completely when I offered to give him the few coppers over the £5 note i gave him, so he could give me a £1 coin in return. The till had worked out the change for him, and that was the limit of his understanding of the transaction!

Anyway, with drawings now way over size, (don't tell Peter though, as they look about 24th scale....) I'm going to model the airframe in Rhino by measuring directly off the paper. I don't care what the scale is at the moment, I'll just reduce the final CAD data when it is done. One of the advantages of CAD.

Here is the data so far. Plenty more to do, but you have to start somewhere....

Sea_Hawk_Airframe002_CAD.jpg

Edited by wunwinglow

A bit more surfacing this morning. I have a bit of work to get the rear fuselage surfaces to flow nicely. The cross sections only need to be out by a hair, to put wriggles in the skins. OK on a B52, not so nice on this type!!

The wings will be blended into the fuselage once i am haappy that the fuselage is OK, otherwise any change in one will have a knock-on effect on the other.

Thanks for the kind comments guys, another update shortly. I have done a bit more on the Swordfish too, but need to take some more pics.

Sea_Hawk_Airframe003_CAD.jpg

Edited by wunwinglow

Thanks Kag, we'll see if the project actually gets that far!

Next pic of progress. Darling wifey just bought me a new 24" monitor, so I can actually see what I am doing now!

I think the rear fuselage and fin look OK now, a few ripples to sort out on the tailplane tips, then it is on to the stub wings, intakes and exhausts.

Sea_Hawk_Airframe004_CAD.jpg

More soon, Tim

Edited by wunwinglow

• 6 months later...

Sorry no updates recently, but I had an 'off' on the Suzuki in September, which put me back a couple of months!! Anyway, I cut a mould for the drop tanks for this models, and did a couple of formings in 60 thou (1.5mm ) styrene sheet. Pretty pleased with the result! I did this work before then, and I did show a couple of people these mouldings at Telford, so sorry if you have already seen these. I have also built a couple of tanks on our company 3D printer, so I'll post a pic of these shortly.

SeaHawk_mouldings_1.jpg

SeaHawk_mouldings_2.jpg

Edited by wunwinglow

And, having seen them, the quality of the vac parts is stunning!

(Reminds me - I've got your vac pattern in the Telford boxes (somewhere) - need to get those back to you...)

Iain

Guest Peterpools

Tim

Going to be an amazing build, especially from a guy who has no idea how to do what you are doing

Keep 'em coming

Peter