Trouble with Trumpy Tomcat

Tomcat4ever

Hello folks.

I'm dealing with the 32nd scale Trumpy Tomcat, version F-14A.

I encountered some issues with the rubber parts, most precisely the inflatable bags on wing gloves.

These parts are presenting some meltness aspect, with some oil pouring overall. I'm afraid this will prevent the proper adhesion of the subsequent paint layers or even melt the plastic underneath, because some of these rubber oils are harmful to the estirene.

A friend here in Brazil recommended me to use the Vallejo Surface Primer over it after a very well done wash with some soap. I've tried it, but I have a strong feeling that this will not solve the problem, since even after this application the rubber part is still sticky at the finger tips.

Without this, it will pour oil extensively.

Below there are some photos showing this situation.

Rubber parts without any application and just 24 hours after a complete wash with dish soap:

20170521_144916_zps1hf7mwod.jpg

20170521_144924_zpshcfoq1oc.jpg

It is clear that it will pour a lot more oil after some more time.

Below a photo with the other part covered with a generous coat of Vallejo Surface Primer:

20170521_144951_zpsl4gslqyj.jpg

It is less oily than the other, but is still a bit sticky, far from the ideal way.

I would appreciate too much if someone can give me some tips to avoid or even correct this issue, I have plenty of sure that if I insist to use these parts like that I'll have some high chance to have a melted or a chipped model near in future.

Thank you so much for your help.

Cheers from Brazil.

Jose Maria.

Hello Jose,

I'm sorry I don't have any advice to offer. I'm surprised that Trumpeter engineered the kit like this, it doesn't make sense- I mean, the bags aren't inflatable; so, why rubber? Maybe you could reproduce the part with sheet styrene- I too see nothing but an oily mess in your future otherwise. Good luck.

Hello Lee,

I believe Trumpeter wanted to make just one part to represent two different situations - with the wings full deployed (take off and landing) both bags seals the gap below the glove, and with the wings full sweept (supersonic and grounded) the bags shrink to make room to accommodate the wings.

For a model toy I believe it have sense, but for a model kit not.

I prefer the way that Tamiya and Hasegawa made their ones, with two style of bags, one pair deployed and another shrunk.

I don't have great skills making parts with styrene, but I'm considering to make an effort with some modeling clay or so, maybe I can model them directly on their beds over the fuselage, seems to be easily than deal with styrene... just thinking...

So, thanks for posting here, maybe we will collect some good tips that can resolve someone doubt too.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers.

Edited by Tomcat4ever

From the description, it looks like the part is made of real rubber, and if it poors oil, that mean it is not properly vulcanized, or the rubber mixture is not made properly. Rubber vulcanizes often around 140°C, but starts to vulcanize at current temperature. I think I would heat the part gently at 70° Celsius on a paper towell, in an oven, to get as much oil leaking out of the part as possible. Then put the part in baby talcum powder, and rubb it, and clean it without washing, so the rubber gets that fadded rubber aspect. Wait a few days to see what happens then. If oils leaks again, the rubber mixture was not done properly and it could be better to cast the parts in resin and get ride of them.

Norbert

• 2 months later...

It might already be too late but maybe it also helps other folks who stumble over this:

That "leaking" problem with the rubber seal bags included in the Trumpeter kits seem to be a rather frequent occurrence in all versions of the kit. There is already quite a number of disgruntled builders who were not as fortunate realizing that smear only after their kits were already done. If you are lucky it already occurs before you have started your build. If tough luck hits you with your kit you might face the issue even months after you completed your kitty.

Most builders either tried to grab the seal bags other modellers who built the Tamiya kit had left from their projects depending what version you like (wings swept fwd or back) or just tried to build up sealbags made of plastic sheet and lots of putty plus sanding work.

I generally do my own flexible sealbags made of foam and rubber tissue taken from old rubber blankets or bike wheel tubes. Lots of work but well worth the effort.

Edited by bushande

Hello guys!!!

Actually, I've solved this problem a few days ago, I made the seal bags using some modeling clay, very well known in Brazil called "massa de Biscuit", wich I really don't know how to write it in english language.

It is made of some starch mixture wich takes a few days to cure, but its very easy to shape it as you want.

During the cure process the clay shrinks a bit, but it can be solved using some modeling putty when installing it to the model kit.

At this exact moment I'm in a bussines travel, but in the next weekend I'll be back to home and will take some pictures to show you all.

Thanks for the post guys.

Cheers from Brazil.

JM.

Hi Mark_C,

Yep, sure looks like it and smells like PVA glue  :hmmm:

It dries slowly, but it shrinks a bit. It isn't a big trouble at all, because a little putty and sanding works fine.

Cheers!

JM

I think massa de Biscuit contains corn starch, PVA glue, vinegar/lemon juice, and vaseline.  It's a form of air-curing putty that doesn't require heat.

It's been five years since i built the Trumpeter Cat, i do remember those parts. I super glued them in, then painted. Just checked now and they are in fine shape, flexible, dry and not oozing. Always thought these would be a great part for the aftermarket companys to do, wings forward or swept. Think they would be a good seller, and easy to make/mould.

Don

Glad everything worked out in the end. For such an expensive kit I thought Trumpeter would've done a bit better job with it. They could have had a real winner on their hands. Those open panels put me off as well as the intakes. I'm still waiting for a really nice 32 scale F-14.

Hi dude,

You can bet you're a lucky men  :thumbsup:  I have two of these kits in my stash and both have their rubber parts unusable. And, yes, it's pretty easy to mold these parts in both configurations, anyone of all those aftermarket brands can easily produce it in resin. Cheers! 

It's been five years since i built the Trumpeter Cat, i do remember those parts. I super glued them in, then painted. Just checked now and they are in fine shape, flexible, dry and not oozing. Always thought these would be a great part for the aftermarket companys to do, wings forward or swept. Think they would be a good seller, and easy to make/mould.

Don

Hi Maxim,

Trumpeter did a few mistakes in these models, specially those you've mencioned. Tamiya had a great shape model indeed, but with some several construction dificulties. It will be really nice when someone release a well made and engineered 32nd scale Tomcat.  :please:

Cheers!

Glad everything worked out in the end. For such an expensive kit I thought Trumpeter would've done a bit better job with it. They could have had a real winner on their hands. Those open panels put me off as well as the intakes. I'm still waiting for a really nice 32 scale F-14.

Edited by Tomcat4ever