F-23A in 1/48

F`s are my favs

Hehe, 10x Shawn! Yep - Just the landing gears wil move up and down for 2 modes again - in flight and parked. And i also plan to make the ginormous rudders moveable, i mean i wish to manage to make them moveable, cause the space around the anchor points is so little that i doubt that the rotation will be stable. But i`ll try it for sure. ;) Even a slight change in the angle of the rudders shifts the overall appearance.

Very intriguing re-design work, Milan. Is there any reason for the converging exhausts (apart from looks)?

And what happens at the air dam you've created by bringing them together? Or is the centre body going to be brought up level with the tops of the exhaust tunnels? So many questions - I must learn some patience....

Edited by Chek

The questions are never enough. :))) Well, for this conversion i choos to stick to the unclassified technical drawings published on yf.23.net, for example. According to this scheme, there is an angle of 1.5 degrees according to the centerline, per engine. I could only speculate what the real reasons are, but undoubtly they are related to the IR signature reduction. It`s better to concentrate the exhaust paths in a smaller area(path) behind the plane, rather than dispersing the 2 exhaust paths in opposite directions. The temperature is already reduced by the IR absorbing tiles and the other tools for IR reduction. 

And secondly, the aerodynamics. The entire nacelles should not be perfectly paralleled to each other like on the prototype version. So the ends of the nacelles (which are the nozzles) are the natural continuations of the nacelles, and are respectively slightly angled to each other. 

At least these are my thoughts. I`m not an expert in this kind of area, but i think i know the basics. :P

Edited by F`s are my favs

Just take a look at the underside (sry for the low-quality, it`s nighttime)

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

These are actually the 2 halves testfitted...

@ eoyguy: If all goes well, the final vision will be of a well worn Raptor - the exact same camo and colors. I have some great collection of unused decals, so i`m gonna use them too. 

Jens, hi and thanks! Btw what means to convert the same thing into the same thing?! :))) U mean the edits of the numerours curves on the top side of the intakes? Cause i know that they are wrong on the YF-23 kit itself. Otherwise, the oob kit is pretty much a YF-23 version....

A tongue-in-cheek remark about Hobby Boss' poor rendition of a YF-23, and to make it look like a proper YF-23 I feel like it's going to be a conversion:)

Jens