Trumpy's P-51B times two - Dominic Gentile and Ralph Hofer

Thomas Lund

Had a LOT of modeling time this weekend, and one of the things I did was to (almost) finishing the painting of my two Mustangs. Both need a little correction and I need to paint the flaps and gear covers, but still - almost complete. Salem representative needs red nose and tail bands too. Real happy with this as it is

002_zps7ec09d08.jpg

003_zpsc222faf1.jpg

005_zps1b1dd49e.jpg

007_zpsf3a612fc.jpg

The OD on both were painted with TL industries 'Crappy painting' (patent pending) paint method of first doing a lousy, bad covering coat of MM faded OD and then an just ad bad covering coat of regular OD leaving the faded OD showing through in a random pattern giving a grubby uneven weather/sun beaten OD. I like it, I hope you do too

Edited by Thomas Lund

Guest Peterpools

Thomas

Terrific progress on the Mustangs. The OD weathering looks perfect on my end and really shows off the uneven, fading, wear of the finish

Keep 'em coming

Peter

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks everyone, much appreciated

Im gonna try that some day its so effective and look so "right" in my eyes.

If you ever need some pointers feel free to get back to me. Essentially with the finest spray you can make with you airbush, paint in swirling round patterns until you have something that's clearly the right color, but shows the color below in holes in the swirl. First with a lighter color then the darker, making sure you close the places where the bottom (below the lighter color) shows through. I did black preshading below that and repeated the top color thinned a lot until i was happy with the way the preshading showed through, avoiding covering the 'spots' of lighter colors. I find preshading much much easier than postshading, but I think that's a personal preference...

• 2 months later...

So I guess it about time for an update. Progress has been slow for a number of reasons: Work, family, lack of interest and some problems.

The lack of interest is typical me when I get to the finishing bits I do loose some interest in doing the tiny things. Gotta keep pusing myself with that.

The problems were mainly that I bought some paint masks for the national insignia and apart from having to wait for them for quite a while, they have been giving me some grief. Gotta admit that these are the first precut masks I've used - well apart from canopy masks, but they are another story - and I found it quite hard to handle. First of because it was for the US national insignia so it was in multiple layers and getting the bits on and off for the different colors proved a bit difficult. On top of that the outer edge of the mask is in some places very close to the roundel so the mask it a bit flimsy and since it sticks to anything I did have some troubles placing them. I used 6 masks to paint the two wing insignia's on Salem Representative, the bottom one is also not quite good enough, but it'll do for now. While I was working through this on Salem, I used decals on Shangri-La - chickened out :-) In the end I acheived some experience with these masks so the fuselage insignia's on Salem were done with no mistakes.

The problems with the masks and the chipping I'd done with masking fluid - that did not look good - both led me to several smaller and larger repaints... sigh

Right now I've hit a snag. While doing the little finishing bits I started looking at the exhausts. Salem has the schrouded exhausts while Shangri-La has the un-schrouded. But the Trumpy kit only include schrouded (that I'll possibly replace with quickboost ones) but noone does aftermarked unschrouded in 32nd.

So... is it possible that all of you who built the Tamiya P-51D and used the schrouded exhausts can spare the parts for the unschrouded ??? I'd be happy to pay for them !!!!!

Ok - the pictures. Painting done, decalling done, weathering with flory washes under way. Soon the final satin coat...

053_zps64ec64f2.jpg,,

055_zps5c61fe75.jpg

056_zps0f0b45ba.jpg

059_zps2cbe5aea.jpg