IL-2M3 Sturmovik by Hobby Boss

Slowly working away at the beastie, some stuff has come up. The Arrow wing aircraft didn't use underwing 37mm guns except for one test version. In the kit i'm given the underwing parts BUT not enough or wrong parts to do the 23mm guns inside the wings yet that's what most all these birds had. Well that's dumb, and i'm not a great scratch builder...Don't know about the other kits in the series, but these cannons wouldn't work because they are moulded for the swept wing birds, not the straight wing birds...strange. There are no shell ejection holes underwing, have to cut them out. May make this a WHIF build. The belly rad is missing doors at the front and back, something noticeable by their absence. On a plus side, i did manage to finalize a paint choice, had to do mixes on three of the colors. Bad thing is i didn't keep track of how i arrived at the colors, i better not run out.

Don

Doing some work today, i did a little addition to the wheelwells. OOB they are pretty bare, i added some strips and a couple of boxes and lines. Most of the detail is on the gear legs, will probably add to them.

IMG_4906_zpssxvdtsho.jpg

IMG_4915_zpscvmthgly.jpg

IMG_4916_zpssmd7a1ft.jpg

I was thinning the walls of the lower inlet/outlet for the coolers, but couldn't leave them alone. I scratch built some shutter doors  for the oil cooler and closed the upper door for the rad. Added some detail to the door and three hinges.

IMG_4918_zpsmpqecw2i.jpg

IMG_4917_zpsksq7fa02.jpg

Did some paint mixes, these are a little light, will darken with weathering. The only out of bottle is FS36118 Gunship grey.

IMG_4908_zpstnshyzho.jpg

Did find parts for the wing guns, had to look at the instructions online for a IL-2. I'll be replacing the barrels with brass tubing, the plastic kit barrels would get in the way and probably break off when sanding seams, and they need to go in before closing the wing. No pics for that will be tomorrow.

Don

You'll love the Hasegawa KI-61, Shawn, it's such a treat to build. The IL-2, a little less so. Needs more work on basic stuff, but it should build up nicely. Nothing that any of us can't handle. Normally i don't do any additionals to my builds, John, but the wells weer too bare and the shutters were too obvious to leave out. The shutters help the most, looks better with them. I did work on the guns, after i found the parts listed on a different version. Head shaker as to why they weren't shown on the instructions......I had to add some holders inside the wings to hold pieces of tube that i could slip smaller sections into to replace the kit stuff, nothing too hard here, just make sure of alignment. I used long sections of tube to set alignment.

IMG_4919_zps0fdn4bci.jpg

IMG_4920_zpslbuqahxa.jpg

IMG_4921_zpsrhdx9mcy.jpg

Also cut open shell ejector slots in the bottoms of the wings

IMG_4922_zpscogfnvul.jpg

I had a hernia operation in March this year, been two months almost to the day. Went to doc for check and get clearance for work, he said it's all looking good, healing nice, pain i feel is from cut nerves healing and scar tissue healing is normal, all looking good!! Said i could go back.... in another month!!! He said with my job, i need to be as best as possible before resuming work. This kinda suxs, really want to get back to work....BUT i can get as much bench time as i can, so long as i do some walking exercises between sessions. That's cool!! Made lemonade!! I should make good progress on the Sturmovik.

Don

I think you really need 500 grade for that work, Don! Good luck, it's all looking very promising so far.

Kev

Yup!! Hobby shop was out of 500, had to get the 1000. Twice as thin, twice as long to fill...*sigh*

Don

Don,

If I recall, I did a test shot on mine with 500 and it didn't fill it in to my liking. 1000 will be even tougher, of course. I ended up smearing on a bunch of Tamiya putty, letting it dry for a day or two, then sanding it. I came back with a coat of 1000 (or maybe 500, I don't remember) afterwards and that worked out great. It's time consuming, but actually wasn't has hard as I thought it would be.

Go get 'er! :D

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

I laid on 4(!!!) coats of Mr Primer Surfacer before sanding. After wetsanding for an hour i have just a few areas that need filling again.

IMG_4924_zpswnphyt2e.jpg

Sprayed paint on the cooling unit and assembled, i won't do more to the wing until i install to fuselage, flexes a bit and i don't want to break the louvers.

IMG_4926_zpsosctjeup.jpg

IMG_4925_zpssakmhw3f.jpg

In spite of all my whining about the kit, it isn't that bad. The wing joints looked a little rough, but after cleaning up the mating surfaces, they fit like Lego, top and bottom. Great stuff!!

IMG_4927_zpst5mkisir.jpg

Can't avoid it now, on to the pit.

Don

Little more progress, been working away at the pit the last two days. Added some small parts to a bare basic pit.

IMG_4931_1_zpsczvrymfl.jpg

IMG_4932_1_zpskzq4ayox.jpg

Lots of colors were given on research and seen on different builds, choice was made and i chose a grey color. Picked out small details with different colors. I found some builds had a wood floor for the gunners station so i added a piece of plastic suitably scored and painted to look like old wood. Wiring, liquid lines and linkage rods added with Evergreen rod stock. Fuel tank is wrong shape, didn't correct but did move fuel cap to right side and added fuel lines. Dash was kit, a decal sandwiched between two parts.

IMG_4951_zpscguvmavk.jpg

IMG_4952_zpseea7clbz.jpg

IMG_4954_zpsetlncnkg.jpg

IMG_4955_zpsdhclczxx.jpg

IMG_4956_zpsshxjthyv.jpg

IMG_4957_zpsd6w6lbrd.jpg

IMG_4959_zpshkj4hir7.jpg