Car Door Typhoon

phoenix 54

Not a fan of the Tempest, not at all, but the car door Typhoon is of real interest to me. I just fervently hope that Master comes to the rescue with un-shrouded 20mm cannon barrels, as they were frequently, though not always, seen on the car doors.

Not a fan of the Tempest, not at all, but the car door Typhoon is of real interest to me. I just fervently hope that Master comes to the rescue with un-shrouded 20mm cannon barrels, as they were frequently, though not always, seen on the car doors.

They already do the 20mm Hispanos in 1:24 scale

Great, I had no idea. Probably produced for the Hurricane I guess?

No, they came out with a specific set for the Typhoon right after the Bubbletop was released. Doesn't really have a use with that kit, but will come in handy for the Car Door

Matt  :frantic:

Encouraging news, It would seem that Airfix is in good hands now after many years in the wilderness.

Nice to see that companies can turn them selves around and survive in these leaner times.

Dan

Funny you should say that Dan, Trevor Snowdon (Mr. Airfix [Ret.]) said a very similar thing while we were chatting at the Driffield show last Sunday! and NO if Trevor knows anything about future releases he didn't give me a 'heads up'!

Now can we start asking for Airfix to go the full distance and do the Tempest. 

Mont, for a man of the 'crumbling spires' (apologies to any tyrannosaurus rex fans out there, you KNOW who you are!) 

HOW could they refuse?!!  :hmmm:  :innocent:    :wicked:  :whistle:

Paul

The Mosquito was another thought, but with the barrels being buried (usual, unless the modeler displays that area open), I assumed they'd have been for something much more visible, like the Hurricane un-shrouded versions of the 20mm.

The Mosquito barrels reach all the way to the breach, the Hurricane barrels go from the wing leading edge only.

Mosquito linky

http://www.master-model.pl/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=180&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56

Hurricane linky

http://www.master-model.pl/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=412&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56

I have used the Mossie barrels and can honestly say they are worth getting. Massive improvement over the kit offerings.

Different, yes but with some similarities.  The nose part, and canopy is obvious, with some similarities in the cockpit.  The vertical fin looks to me the same except for the dorsal fin extension, which gives it a totally different look.  The rudder also looks the same to me.  The bubble top kit does include the tempest tail planes.  Yes, a bunch of retooling would be required.  Gosh, we can dream, can't we?  Both very beautiful, and very sexy birds, parked or in flight.

Best regards

Patrick

Just because they look similar doesn't mean that they are dimensionally identical. There's a similar amount of difference between the Typhoon and Tempest V as there is between a P-51D and P-51H. Very similar looking, completely different in detail. To do an accurate Tempest V Airfix would need to tool a new kit as aside from the tailplanes and engine block (and maybe accessories) and possibly some undercarriage bits the commonalities are visual resemblances only, even the cannon are different on most production models (only the early Tempest V's had Hispano II cannon, most production had the short-barrelled V). The cockpit is quite different as well, so little commonality there either.

The Mosquito barrels reach all the way to the breach, the Hurricane barrels go from the wing leading edge only.

Mosquito linky

http://www.master-model.pl/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=180&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56

Hurricane linky

http://www.master-model.pl/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=412&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56

I have used the Mossie barrels and can honestly say they are worth getting. Massive improvement over the kit offerings.

Very interesting indeed. The stuff that Master produces is really top shelf, and a set of un-shrouded barrels for the car door version of the Typhoon is imperative, at least as far as I'm concerned, regardless of what Airfix puts in the box.

Just because they look similar doesn't mean that they are dimensionally identical. There's a similar amount of difference between the Typhoon and Tempest V as there is between a P-51D and P-51H. Very similar looking, completely different in detail. To do an accurate Tempest V Airfix would need to tool a new kit as aside from the tailplanes and engine block (and maybe accessories) and possibly some undercarriage bits the commonalities are visual resemblances only, even the cannon are different on most production models (only the early Tempest V's had Hispano II cannon, most production had the short-barrelled V). The cockpit is quite different as well, so little commonality there either.

Agreed Adam.  And speaking of the P-51H, I always thought that it should have been titled something else other than P-51H, because of it's very numerous dissimularites to the 51 family.  A very anemic, shrunken down looking aircraft sitting next to a 'D' model.  I guess it was meant as an upgrade, but it would never win a beauty contest pitted against the 'D", IMHO.  The Airacobra and Kingcobra is another example.  Same bloodline, both very similar in appearance, but with different designations as it should be.  I'm sure others would disagree.  Wow, look how this thread has evolved.  I guess that's what makes it fun.

Best regards

Patrick

Here's what might prove to be an interesting puzzler for some: car door or bubble top?

Could be either. Some bubble tops were built as car door versions and converted later on in life. If you knew the aircraft details that would help, also the airframe number would help to tell you if Tiffie or Tempest tail planes and if 3 or 4 blade props.

What is of interest is the canon barrel plugs. 

Edited by Monty Python