Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

Thanks for all the kind comments, fellas. So glad to finally have this one done!

Thanks for the photography tips, too. All the RFI photos in this thread were taken with the standard 18-55 lens, with everything in auto mode. I really just wanted to see what the camera would do for me, without any intervention on my part. And of course, sometimes a shallow depth of field is not a problem - desirable, even. After I took these ones, I swapped out to the macro lens, again with everything in auto, but the photos were actually slightly worse, with the DoF even shallower. Clearly, I have to get out of auto mode and start learning what all those buttons and dials do!

I'm going to order a tripod shortly, and am enlisting the help of a friend to give me some one-on-one guidance with gaining control of the camera and the process. It's analogous to someone who has comfortably used an external-mix, single-action airbrush all their life, and is finally confronted with having to learn how to use a fancy dual-action airbrush. I'm sure I'll get there!

Kev

You are a glutton for punishment Kev, the Aeropoxy Yak-3 does turn out good but the journey is a bit fraught, to be fair the biggest problem that I had was air bubbles which stalled the build until I discovered Mr Surfacer.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks, Dennis. Is your build here somewhere? The kit is certainly agricultural, but I've been working my way through cleaning up all the parts during my movie-watching time, so it hasn't felt as tedious as it could have. I'm a long way from done, though, but have managed to pin the landing gear, among other things. I'll start a build thread soon.

Kev

You made it!  And it looks great!  So I read you were thinking about doing another one?  :mental:

Really impressed, that took some skillz

Bryan

Thanks, Bryan. I have the later F4U-4 kit in the stash, and am tempted to pull it out and build it largely OOB, or at least using AM products actually designed for the kit! I figure if I'm going to build it, doing so while the lessons from this one are relatively fresh is probably useful. But in reality, I have too many other projects to get to or finish, so it's probably unlikely.

Kev

Great job on getting to the finish line, Kev - well done, your perseverance and commitment have been inspirational. What's next?

Jim

Thanks, Jim. A return to my even longer-running Fw 190S conversion will be next:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=26603

Not sure how much time I'll actually have to devote to it, but I'll be happy if I can just kick it out of its moribund state.

Kev

Damn, looks great Kevin! Only suggestion I have is that to balance out the very nice and fine weathering of the fuselage would be to add some silver chipping and wear on the prop leading edges!

Other than that - outstanding build!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks, Alan. There is in fact some subtle chipping along the prop edges, but Allan warned me against taking it too far. Most of the wear on these props was on the back, and consisted more of a sandblasting effect, rather than discrete chipping. In the end I decided to not fret too much over it.

Kev