Vintage Revell AVG P-40E Box Art Question

RBrown

Revell 's classic 1/32 scale box art depicting an AVG P-40E, No. 92, with its Chinese Nationalist markings is one of my  favorites,  but I have never seen a photo of the real aircraft.  Is there any photographic documentation or other evidence to support the artist's interpretation?   Any  information, even speculative, would be welcomed.curtiss-p40-revell-132-kit-raro-de-1969-

Edited by RBrown

Dramatic box art=sales, which is what I think they were going for here. Historic fidelity was secondary, and, back in the 1960's, who could tell them they were wrong?

On the other hand consider the other two kits Revell released in conjunction with the P-40, specifically the Bf 109F and Spitfire Mk I. The box art depicts the actual aircraft and its pretty accurate, given the information available in 1967 and artistic license.  I could be mistaken but  I am not seeing the evidence of Revell employing a market strategy of conjured box art  to enhance sales.

17c69ab42d6464fe92a6d747e3ba6754.jpgpost-901-1167564786.jpg

Those are AVG Hawk 81 markings.  I don't believe such markings ever appeared on a P-40E.  By the time the AVG got E's, they were within days to weeks of being subsumed into the USAAF as the 23rd FG.

Well the first P-40Es arrived on March 22, 1942 and the unit was not disbanded until July 4, 1942 which is a significant period. Also consider that some of the aircraft, (I suspect all), had their U.S. markings painted over and Chinese markings applied, for example  P-40E-1, No. 106.   Refer to Terrill Clement's Americian Volunteer Group Colours and Markings, pages 55 and 94.

Edited by RBrown

On the other hand consider the other two kits Revell released in conjunction with the P-40, specifically the Bf 109F and Spitfire Mk I. The box art depicts the actual aircraft and its pretty accurate, given the information available in 1967 and artistic license.  I could be mistaken but  I am not seeing the evidence of Revell employing a market strategy of conjured box art  to enhance sales.

17c69ab42d6464fe92a6d747e3ba6754.jpgpost-901-1167564786.jpg

Well, considering that the Spitfire was to be sold in Britain, too, I think that Revell was afraid of being called out if they BS'ed it, hence the accurate markings... Not sure of the Bf. I don't think Revell was to concerned about getting called out by Red China, who didn't have much of a modeling community during the Cultural Revolution. A google search of AVG P-40E number 92 reveals bupkis, so, I stand by my artistic license comment.

Numbers 1 through 100 were the original batch of Tomahawks (P-40B), but one crated aircraft went into the water while they were being unloaded from the ship. That left 1 - 99 actually assigned. The Kittyhawks (P-40Es and Ks) delivered later wore numbers 101 and up. One notable exception was Robert L. Scott's airplanes which he always numbered 7.

So, the boxart's number 92 is ficticious for a P-40E. But, that shouldn't stop you from building it as-shown if you want to. I have one of these Revell P-40Es almost ready for paint, and I'll be doing it in the boxart scheme. :)

D

Numbers 1 through 100 were the original batch of Tomahawks (P-40B), but one crated aircraft went into the water while they were being unloaded from the ship. That left 1 - 99 actually assigned. The Kittyhawks (P-40Es and Ks) delivered later wore numbers 101 and up. One notable exception was Robert L. Scott's airplanes which he always numbered 7.

So, the boxart's number 92 is ficticious for a P-40E. But, that shouldn't stop you from building it as-shown if you want to. I have one of these Revell P-40Es almost ready for paint, and I'll be doing it in the boxart scheme. :)

D

That is disappointing.   I was hoping for a grainy photo ( even if it had a Bigfoot in the background) but you have clearly put the issue to rest.  Thank you, and best wishes on your P-40 project!

That was the first 1:32 scale I ever built, but not the last.  For some reason I never did the Spitfire though, can't think why as I've always been a bit of a Spitfire fan. :shrug: .