Tamiya A6M5 Zero

LSP_Kevin

Thanks guys! Matt, I actually think of myself as quite a sloppy builder (check out my 'other' Zero in the Member Builds forum for proof!), so that's quite a compliment. All credit is due to the kit though - it's the ultimate shake and bake job, though it's definitely not simple.

Anyway, another update while I'm on a roll. Firewall, oil tank and cowl guns in place:

post-3071-1226225544.jpg

The kit instructions say flat aluminium for the firewall (and other areas), whereas most builds of this kit (and other Zeros) that I've followed would have it Aotake or interior green. For the sake of not straining my brain, and keeping to the spirit of OOB, I decided just to do whatever Tamiya tells me too. I'm sure the straps for the oil tank should be some other colour too, but I wouldn't know what, so I've left it. The only modification I've made to the kit parts is to drill out the end of the gun barrels to something more convincing than the dimples Tamiya provides.

More soon.

Kev

Just a small update tonight. I've fitted the cockpit into the fuselage, and it fits so amazingly well that you almost don't need glue. I tried to take some decent photos, but failed. Here's a couple anyway:

post-3071-1226572104.jpg

post-3071-1226572116.jpg

These photos really don't do it justice - it looks amazing inside the fuselage. I wish every kit was like this!

Kev

Any new progress pics, eh Kevin? Uhhh,..... KEVIN! :lol: Hellooooo! Heh heh, I think he heard me. :lol:

There has been some minor progress Russ, but nothing photo-worthy. I haven't had much modelling time in the last week or so. I'll need to get a wiggle on though, or I'll miss the deadline!

Kev

Looking good Kevin. In my years as an a & p, most of the straps like that that I saw on older aircraft were stainless steel. Some were painted, most were badly chipped. Otherwise, regardless of what you say, it looks super clean to me!

Matt

Another small update tonight. Not much visible progress, but I thought I'd better put something up before Russ releases the hounds on me!

Empennage fitted:

post-3071-1227433347.jpg

While the fit was pretty good, there are still some minor visible joins in the area that will have to be addressed. The rudder actually attaches to the fin via photo-etched hinges connected to a metal rod inside the rudder. It's completely moveable, and yet completely to scale! Amazing engineering.

Here's the engine mount:

post-3071-1227433380.jpg

I've now got to figure out how best to mask the cowl guns and mounting ring so I can lay down some aotake on the front piece. Shoulda painted that bit first I guess...

I've been working on the wings in the meantime:

post-3071-1227433371.jpg

Also painted up the wheel wells:

post-3071-1227433360.jpg

More soon.

Kev

Heh heh, I don't need hound(S), I'd just sic Matt's plan/reference eating Wonder Dog on any loose piles of valuable irreplaceable paper that happened to be laying around! <_< A real terror weapon.

Glad you're showing a lot of build-up pics. Going gah-gah at how well Tamiya molded their parts, and how it's engineered to go together. Very cool. Can't wait to see how this wing/ landing gear goes together. Looking GOOD! Russ

hi kev, i know of the tamiya kit only by reputation (the highest) not being into japanese aircraft myself but excellent kit or not your'e doing an first class build here mate----------i can only continue(till someone tells me to shut up)! to bemoan the lack of a spitfire mk.1 and hurri mk.1 to the same standard------i know that many would add a mustang to my little wish! how can we still be waiting after all this time? c'mon trump. lets have your superb hurri reduced, and c'mon tamiya---or anybody---lets have a top notch spit.----c'mon has. lets update your mustang with new moulds.

dave.

I haven't had much modelling time lately, but I've managed to move things on a bit. I've mostly been working on the wings, and they certainly are a challenge. Actually, it's the wheel bays and associated doors that will have you going cross-eyed. The undercarriage doors are hinged much like the real thing, using stainless steel wire, and these hinges need to be captured by the wheel bays as you (carefully!) glue them into position. I had bits shooting off everywhere, but eventually won out.

post-3071-1227953556.jpg

Here they are from underneath:

post-3071-1227953665.jpg

post-3071-1227953715.jpg

Rear view of the wing assembly, with what the instructions describe as 'battery':

post-3071-1227953770.jpg

And finally a view from the front:

post-3071-1227953798.jpg

Both major sub-assemblies (fuse/wings) are now close to being ready to be joined together. I've got the engine mostly done too, but photos of that next time.

Thanks for looking!

Kev

I haven't had much modelling time lately, but I've managed to move things on a bit. I've mostly been working on the wings, and they certainly are a challenge. Actually, it's the wheel bays and associated doors that will have you going cross-eyed. The undercarriage doors are hinged much like the real thing, using stainless steel wire, and these hinges need to be captured by the wheel bays as you (carefully!) glue them into position. I had bits shooting off everywhere, but eventually won out.

:lol: :lol:

Yes indeed! Those darn wire bits will have you wishing for four hands by the time you get them in right! Had me speaking in partial phrases.. How the...? What do I...? Holy...!

They sure do look the part (and function, too!) when done though. Watch out for the little outer doors. They'll haunt you if you break one off from this stage while moving the model around for painting, etc.

Good to see you making some headway! (Wish I could say the same...)

Kev,

Sorry to have missed this!!!! With my relocating, and all the Corsair stuff happening lately, I am a bit overwhelmed. I wish you the best on your build which is looking, as we ghetto kids say, "Pretty Fresh". I only wish to get my money right so as to join in on the fun with, of course a Corsair, or an F6F-3.... I can dream can't I???

Peace,

Alfonso