1/32 Hasegawa/Dragon Mustang

Ironwing

Rather than using the gun bay covers from the Hasegawa supplied parts, I took the covers from the Dragon wings. The fit is close and with a bit of cutting can be made to fit the Hasegawa wings. The detail on the bay covers (the latch only) is done well on the Dragon wings. Along with that, I removed the fuel cap detail from the Dragon wings and transfered it to the Hasegawa wings. Again, just cut them out, make an appropriate opening in the Hasegawa wing and insert the new part from the Dragon kit.

post-1406-1190147454.jpg

Hi Geoff,

Great engineering/surgery. With that first ill-fated P-51 a while back you set the bar very high, but you seem to be on track to meet the same exacting standards this time too. Keep the updates coming!

Jean

Geoff, simply outstanding! Thanks for sharing your madness!! :P I've held off on buying the Dragon kit, mostly because I have a Has. kit with a Paragon 'pit in the stash waiting to be built. I'll be watching and enjoying your ideas/work.

Regards

John

Jean, Without sounding too much like a mutual admiration society, I have a long way to go in order to catch your skill level. But I do appreciate you looking in and commenting. Always good to hear from you.

Tourist,

It wont be a blue nose...

John,

Many thanks for looking in. Madness pretty much somes it up. But, by all means look in often and thank you for your kind comment.

Ive started work on the main (aft) bypass door. Lots of cutting, fitting, cussing followed by more cutting, fitting with brief moments of lucidity but mostly confusion and plastic scraps. Thouth I might try to adapt the Dragon main vent area and fuselage underside to the Hasegawa kit. Dragon did a nice job in this area. I couldnt bring myself to cut away all the scribing I did. More to come.

Hope all are well...

Geoff

Along with that, I removed the fuel cap detail from the Dragon wings and transfered it to the Hasegawa wings. Again, just cut them out, make an appropriate opening in the Hasegawa wing and insert the new part from the Dragon kit.

I suspect that the strong form of the "measure twice, cut once" rule applies here. ;)

Charles Metz

Charles,

Youre absolutely right. I measured more than twice and still screwed it up :rolleyes: ; more times than I care to admit. :rolleyes:

................................................................................

................................................................................

Anyway, the saga of the vent doors continues. Work on the rear vent is just about complete. It took quite a bit of work to get it to this point. Working in aluminum isnt hard, its just not easy. I lost track of how many vent assemblies I screwed the pooch on.

The underbelly of the Mustang is something rarely seen. The large rear coolant radiator assembly is well hiden from plain sight. I will say that Dragon did it correctly in both the forward and aft openings (oh if it didnt have all those holes and lines engraved in it). The Hasegawa kit, well, its the Hasegawa kit; good bones, no details. Hence it all must be fabricated. Both the front and rear assemblies are built to be added after painting is complete.

While the aluminum (cut up soft drink cans) is at times difficult, it does wonders for improving scale thickness without sacrificing strength, cuts with with ordinary scissors and can be readily shaped. Measurements must be done carfully. If you make a mistake, its done, just start again. I found getting the dimensioning correct dificult;not so much in the measuring as much as transfering the measurements to the aluminum in such a way that gave a dimensionally accurate part. The doors themselves were first drawn (scribed) onto the aluminum and then bent along the scribed lines, much in the same way you would bend PE parts.

post-1406-1190948131.jpg

component parts...

Note: The tab on the back, or in this picture at the top of the screen, slides into a slot in the fuselage to locate and hold the door in place. It was not part of the prototype assembly.

post-1406-1190948581.jpg