New resin fillet tail for new Revell P-51D!

1to1scale

The first thing I did when I got my Revell P-51, I compared it with the Tamiya filleted tail, it fits like a glove. So those of you with Tamiya's example have a spare tail already. 

There you go then!   From $11 to free if one already has the Tamiya kit.   I'm inclined at this point to actually wait and see when Revell puts out their filleted version. Im thinking its almost a certainty. 

Funny think I built the has p51 with all the bells and what not and I still have 3 sets of moskit exhausts witch I'm not getting raid of bye the way but I have no I mean no about building another p51. Don't get me wrong. It's a nice kit. And with revell prices it's a steal I'll wait for the next. One. Like the owl 88. Etc

Nice resin filleted tail but there are a couple of issues:

1) it will take more than a fillet to make a "late" Mustang. Changes are needed in the cockpit too.

2) this resin fillet is not suitable for "early" Mustangs. The fillet that was retrofitted to the early Mustangs was slightly curved and had a different shape at the end where it meets the fin.

Hth,

Radu

Hi guys! I'm the guy making these tail sets for the Revell P-51D "Early" kit. Thank you Mark for posting about it. I am humbled. I want to introduce myself to you all and respond to some of your thoughts.
I knew as soon as I opened the box two weeks ago when I bought it at my LHS, that Revell would be popping a second version of the filleted P-51.  My plan never was to produce any resin for this kit. Then I started building it. Whenever I build a model I look at ways I can "mine it" for new resin sets. I found a few things that can stand improving. First were the flaps and the enormous shrinkage they suffered while molding due to being too thick a part to mold as one piece. I know good modelers will not see this a problem. I didn't have an issue. I fixed the flaps with some auto body goop. But my goals are to help the average guy. My plan to do a zip-quick build and sale of the completed model on Ebay of this kit went out the window with seeing resin sets in that box. So yes, a set of none pitted flaps are on the way. 
My inspiration for taking on the tail issue was provided by a young member of my Facebook group, "Models by109ace" who asked why Revell would produce a kit with such a lackluster amount of decal options when the later D provides hundreds?  I thought "damn, the kid is right." Thus started my cobbing together a new tail with a fillet. This started Monday or Tuesday this week. 
I am not worried in the least with Revell producing the later D model. My target audience are the guys that have and will be buying the 20,000 or so "early" kits Revell squirted out and are taking places in stashes, hobbyshops and distrbuters around the globe. I offer an alternative to actually getting some use out of a formerly passed over kit, without having to go out and buy the next new one. Think "re purposing". 
The fit? I don't mean to brag. but mine fits better then the original tail. Close. Both need adjustment. It's the nature of the beast with resin aftermarket and mating two dissimilar parts together. In the picture posted of the side view, I am holding two unglued parts of the model and my tail together with one hand while shooting the picture with my other. That is why the top of my tail looks underwhelming in respect to the fuselage. The top and bottom fits are good. The sides of the tail needed some slight skiffing with my #11 blade to flush them up with the kit. I also had to add a thin strip shim to the kit spine to widen it a bit. I'm thrilled with the fit. I just need to go back and rescribe   a couple panel lines. And Bob's your Uncle. 
One thing I adhere to closely is if the part I cast has voids, bubbles, I either fix it, or toss it., I don't package it and ship. You should see my waste basket. But being a larger scale then I am used to working in, the parts are casting beautifully. Will the modeler have to use filler? My name isn't Tamiya. But my pictures show and my experience using my set, tells me this is a great set. I priced it to sell it. I'd rather sell ten for $11 each, then one for $20. I also offer free shipping on purchases over one. My shipping fees are $3.00 for this set. I am more then happy to sell direct to anybody wishing to buy.

Email address is 109ace@sbcglobal.net, and Paypal account is Kmartin512@sbcglobal.net.  Price for the set is $11 for one set. Buy two or more sets and pay $9 per set. Shipping is the same $3 for any amount.. International buyer are welcome. Just contact me for a shipping fee quote.  Please use Paypal "Goods and Services" to pay. protects you and me. and is full proof for shipping labels. Questions? Ask!

Edited by 109ace

Welcome aboard, Kevin, and thanks for your informative post. We hope you'll continue to make other LSP-related upgrade sets! Which reminds me, I still need to purchase your engine/cowling upgrade for the Monogram P-61.

Kev

Welcome aboard, Kevin, and thanks for your informative post. We hope you'll continue to make other LSP-related upgrade sets! Which reminds me, I still need to purchase your engine/cowling upgrade for the Monogram P-61.

Kev

Anytime buddy! The P-61 is my hottest seller. I'm hoping to sell at least three of these fillet tails to recover my investment in casting materials. Oh wait, I have sold three.... ( wink Mark ) Thanks for letting me in.

Is this a continental US offer only or do you cater for European buyers? I'm struggling to get that info from eBay but I'd love a filleted tail faster than Revell are likely to produce it.

Is this a continental US offer only or do you cater for European buyers? I'm struggling to get that info from eBay but I'd love a filleted tail faster than Revell are likely to produce it.

Absolutely I will ship internationally. I just have to quote you the shipping fee as they can be quite high. I did send sets to Norway this week that ran $13.00 US. You don't have to use Ebay. You can order direct from me. A nice thing with this set is I can send it in a padded envelope and maybe save you some on the fee. At any rate, I ship for actual fee. No add ons or my time, gas and the other silly stuff the others do. Thanks for your interest!

Edited by 109ace