Hobby Boss F-84G

Tony T

Desirous of breaking out from the current modelling impasse and to actually complete a model from unopened box in 5-6 weeks - and warming up to Kitty Hawk's forthcoming Thunderstreak and Thunderflash - I've acquired a Hobby Boss F-84G Thunderjet.

What else is needed for a *mostly* OOB build?

I have the Eduard interior set coming, and intend to use Montex canopy masks, so what else?

* The end goal is a metallic French machine with drop tanks only (I don't put bombs or unguided rockets on models) so Zotz or Berna decals are up there. Anyone recommend one set over another?

* I know the tyres are all wrong and Fisher resin wheels are preferable, but I'm a lazy so-and-so when it comes to painting neat rims so am inclined to use the kit's wheel hubs and tyres. Is that utter unforgivable sacrilege?

* New seat necessary, or just straps (do fabric ones exist?) or better a little resin pilot? What are the options?

Any fit or glaring error issues to ponder?

Are the nose weights in the kit sufficient?

Anyone who's built it, what LG option did they go for? Metal or plastic legs? Any other things to ponder on an ab initio basis?

I won't risk asking for colour call outs as my intention is interior green cockpit and wells, unless someone screams that that's not right (and it should be *that* instead).

And wish me luck. If this can be accomplished by early April it'll provide the impetus to finally complete a few other kits that have been creeping into SOD territory. Hence my desire to keep it as simple as possible!

Thanks in advance, and apologies for any "idiot" questions by me,

Tony

I built mine straight from the box, lovely model. It had absolutely no issues and was very enjoyable to construct.

I did have problems with the front nose leg which is a little delicate and broke several times during transportation to shows.

This will now go on a 'stick' as a flying machine and to that end I've got myself a lovely Korean War US Pilot to go in it.

Nose weight is perfect and no issues there either.

Decals went on in no uncertain terms and look brilliant.

You enjoy it, I have another three to build at some point and looking forward to doing them all!

HTH.

Roy.  

Hi Tony,

It is a very nice kit with very few problems. The most stupid one is probably the fact that the F-84G kit has the E airbrake and vice-versa.

A good way to incitate people to buy both kits...

Another aspect asking for improvement is the cockpit but as you already have the Eduard set the instrument panel won't be a problem anymore. Harold has a full cockpit or just the seat.

Sorry but afaik no one has ever produced tissue belts for jets... :-(

Hth

Thierry

Hi Tony,

It is a very nice kit with very few problems. The most stupid one is probably the fact that the F-84G kit has the E airbrake and vice-versa.

Sorry but afaik no one has ever produced tissue belts for jets... :-(

Thierry

D'accord Thierry on the belts/etch front. There's a huge 1950s-present jet modelling market out there begging for those!

Airbrake mis-mark issues? Will having them shut solve the problem? (Hope so!?)

Thanks

Tony

* The end goal is a metallic French machine with drop tanks only (I don't put bombs or unguided rockets on models) so Zotz or Berna decals are up there. Anyone recommend one set over another?

Tony

Why not?

Okie dokie.

I like jets, not war Kevin. Your question is in danger of making an innocent thread political.

Thanks for the constructive remarks everyone else. I will heed your advice, though don't understand what exactly is wrong with the G airbrakes - perforation pattern or outline shape?

Thanks

Tony