1/32 Trumpeter A-4E Scooter: 8/4/17 Crossed the finish line

Joel_W

Were you able to secure an AMS wheel set for your build?

Smitty,

Not yet. But after looking at the front strut and wheel, I'd really need a new strut. The kit comes with metal main struts as an option but not for the front strut.

Joel

You own a jet kit, and your gonna build it!? I love the Scooter and your builds as well Joel, so you know I'll be following along.

Tony,

Well yeah, I own exactly one 1/32 scale jet kit, but I've built all of 4 jets so far. All in 1/48 scale as I really don't have room to display anything but 1st generation jets in 1/32 scale. Still can't figure out how they stay up in the sky with no props to drive the air over the wings. :mental:  :doh:

Joel

A-4F_089.jpg

DSC_1600_1.jpg

A-6E10_12_14_195.jpg

F-4B06_08_14_016.jpg

Edited by Joel_W

Nice new subject Joel. I've been debating getting a Skyhawk recently so for now, I'll live through your build.

Eduard make replacement vortex generators in PE so that could be an option. Put the markings on and then glue them over top? I have no idea if that would be easier or just create different problems though.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Guest Peterpools

Hi Carl

That was my suggestion over our Sunday breakfast as it seemed the best way to go. Of course, our thought this morning was that Douglas Aircraft should have thought out the vortex generators a lot better taking us modelers into the equation.  :hmmm: 

Peter

Nice new subject Joel. I've been debating getting a Skyhawk recently so for now, I'll live through your build.

Eduard make replacement vortex generators in PE so that could be an option. Put the markings on and then glue them over top? I have no idea if that would be easier or just create different problems though.

Carl

Carl,

welcome to the show, so glad your coming along for the ride. Poor Pete will have to double or even triple the popcorn allocation for this build. :oops:

I've been studying both Eric's and Antony's incredible A-4 builds, and there is a wealth of information that they both have shared with us. I'm certainly going to take advantage of their expertise whenever possible.

Eric used the Eduard PE Vortex Generators, and there is a folded bottom plate on each one, so CCA gluing it to the decals seems like a quick way to damage that decal. Even if I used a mask 1st, they won't stick to the paint all that well.  Right now I'm leaning towards the South Beach Masks, and cutting one so that it goes just around the Vortex Generators. I'm sure I'm going to have nightmares about this for months to come.

As Pete said, we discussed this at length this morning at our favorite diner for Sunday breakfast. I just can't understand how the Douglas engineers designed the Vortex Generators without even a thought that 20 years and later modelers would have a major National Insignia issue. Go figure :help:

Joel 

Edited by Joel_W

Kev,

Thanks for stopping by. Certainly seems to be a very popular subject. So good things do indeed come in small packages too.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Carl,

welcome to the show, so glad your coming along for the ride. Poor Pete will have to double or even triple the popcorn allocation for this build. :oops:

I've been studying both Eric's and Antony's incredible A-4 builds, and there is a wealth of information that they both have shared with us. I'm certainly going to take advantage of their expertise whenever possible.

Eric used the Eduard PE Vortex Generators, and there is a folded bottom plate on each one, so CCA gluing it to the decals seems like a quick way to damage that decal. Even if I used a mask 1st, they won't stick to the paint all that well.  Right now I'm leaning towards the South Beach Masks, and cutting one so that it goes just around the Vortex Generators. I'm sure I'm going to have nightmares about this for months to come.

As Pete said, we discussed this at length this morning at our favorite diner for Sunday breakfast. I just can't understand how the Douglas engineers designed the Vortex Generators without even a thought that 20 years and later modelers would have a major National Insignia issue. Go figure :help:

Joel 

I have used the Eduard set for the vortex generators a couple of times. They are a lot of work, but look good in the end. I typically glue them after the flat coat has gone down. While they are still on the sprue and unfolded, I prime them and then paint them light gull grey to match the camo color. Once they are all glued in place, it is easy to brush paint white, insignia blue, or red where needed to match the decals. It works well, but the only caution would be to watch that any PVA or CYA, depending on what you use, doesn't get on the placement guide and glue it to the wing. That's a good way to pull up the decal. Hope that helps a little

Carl

That's exactly how it's done on the Dynavector 1/48 Javelin- Decal, place PE generators into pre-drilled holes, and carefully paint to match the decal.

I have used the Eduard set for the vortex generators a couple of times. They are a lot of work, but look good in the end. I typically glue them after the flat coat has gone down. While they are still on the sprue and unfolded, I prime them and then paint them light gull grey to match the camo color. Once they are all glued in place, it is easy to brush paint white, insignia blue, or red where needed to match the decals. It works well, but the only caution would be to watch that any PVA or CYA, depending on what you use, doesn't get on the placement guide and glue it to the wing. That's a good way to pull up the decal. Hope that helps a little

Brenhen,

It sounds like a workable solution. I'm thinking that Pledge would be a better option over PVA type glue but not as strong as CCA glue, yet allows room for era and just in case it gets on the placement guide.

Guess I'll bite the bullet and order a set from Sprue Brothers.

Joel

Jari,

Thanks for the info and the pics. Long way to go before I have to see if I can even make the tape look to be in scale.

Joel

You really don't need to bother with it since the humped CF-6 didn't have a taped up nose. From what I've seen the taped noses were usually seen in 211's earlier period (~1966-67) anyway.

Edited by ziggyfoos

Joel in case you want to read what the squadron did during the time period you are interested in, the official records are here:

the Command Chronology just gives a brief summary of events, including what weapons were expended in case you plan to add ordnance to your build. If you read the Feb 69 one you can see they fired off a few Bullpups. The other reports are more detailed in which a/c flew when, where and what they carried.

Jari