1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

Guest Peterpools

Peter

Only the keenest of eyes would ever have a clue. Beautiful work as always my griend

Keep 'em coming

Peter

That is beautiful work Peter. I wouldn't be too fussed about the split of the parts, once you cleaned them up the join is hardly recognisable! Was that Pewter that you were using there? Did you apply the rivets once the panel was in place on the model to support it? 

In any case, it does have a characteristic look and you nailed it!

Craig

EDIT: I see you said the piece was ali.... I take it that you annealed it, but how is it so clean at the start? Mine ends up going brown with the heat process. Also, how do you support something that complex yet fragile when you cut it out from the waste area?

Edited by brahman104

This is Magic, in it's purest form......... there are really no words, and I even dug out my old school Thesaurus ........................ nothing.....in this language anyway....  it is a wonderful feast for the eyes... just bloody fabulous....just gets better and better....  thanks for this Peter.... you have NO idea how much I am enjoying this adventure...

Hi folks :)

That is beautiful work Peter. I wouldn't be too fussed about the split of the parts, once you cleaned them up the join is hardly recognisable! Was that Pewter that you were using there? Did you apply the rivets once the panel was in place on the model to support it? 

In any case, it does have a characteristic look and you nailed it!

Craig

EDIT: I see you said the piece was ali.... I take it that you annealed it, but how is it so clean at the start? Mine ends up going brown with the heat process. Also, how do you support something that complex yet fragile when you cut it out from the waste area?

Hi Craig - thanks for stopping by :) so the ali is not annealed, it is just soft already, almost like thick tinfoil, I am not sure what it is, or what it is used for, or indeed where to get it as I was sent some from the US by someone on HS who worked in a lab...

as for supporting it, it is fairly thick so is not going to deform like foil, but a careful touch is needed thats for sure, sometimes I rivet beforehand, but mainly I do it afterwards as seams you think are right end up moving as the part is applied so the rivets are in the wrong place - this is done slowly and carefully as otherwise you can deform the edges and get big depressions & wrinkled edges instead of a nice neat rivet imprint..

I can show a little more as I just used some for the wingtips..

first a tape template, here the tape kinks a bit on the bottom side as it doesn't like compound curves either..

WIP1357_zpsygv09cnx.jpg

..the tape is then transferred, cut out and taped / shaped to the tip starting from the top seam first...

WIP1358_zpse8rnenid.jpg

..this one was rivitted on the top seam to start with, and you can see it keeps its shape quite well..

WIP1362_zpspcvi6wrt.jpg

..moving on to the nav light area - on TZ138 this is plated over so that made it easier - here a sheet has been tapped into shape and the borders run around with a cocktail stick to define them..

WIP1359_zpssa5udcrw.jpg

..this is then cut & shaped to fit, but even then the bottom seam still needed trimming to match the panel line..

WIP1360_zpsv89oz23c.jpg

..both wingtips are now complete - the wrapping is back on the airframe so just the tips are showing...

WIP1361_zpseyg4ba4q.jpg

..moving on to the canopy..

ok they are highback dimensions, but screen too both armoured and X1X curved, so do not know if they help, 9 drawings uploaded

https://flic.kr/s/aHskXGLjeG

thanks Tony - very useful, I did start to make use of the XIV drawings in the monforton book, and used the drawings to construct a three dimensional template..

WIP1363_zpsofmykhlb.jpg

..this is then loosely filled with P38 filler..

WIP1364_zpsophf6fvw.jpg

..refined down to the template outline..

WIP1365_zpsjtqbllqf.jpg

..and ultimately the complete mould - I need to add to it so it moulds properly and will likely cast it in resin as I have had trouble in the past with primer coming off due to the heat etc..

WIP1366_zpsobpax3it.jpg

..need to do the windscreen next as there is a curved bit at the top,,

TTFN

Peter