Bf 109T-2 + new pictures

Lud13

Hello all

NEW IMAGES BELOW

After some six months more or less Tony is finished...well lets say almost finished since there are few more things i want to do.

This was my first try with resin conversion and I admitt i was skeptical in success. But it turned out that using Alley Cat conversion was very simple and almost easy even for beginner with the resin parts(that would be me :)).

I had much more problem with the kit, must admit some of it was my mistake. Bugger was determined to put me through pains till the very end. One thing that catch my eye that model appears to stand little more higher than it should? Is it possible that the landing gear is a bit longer????

All painting is done with RLM MM enamels and Valejo acrylic varnish. As usual weathering is kept to minimum.

For some of you that are not quite familiar with the 109 here is short history...

Prior to the war the German Navy had become fascinated with the idea of the aircraft carrier. Borrowing ideas from the British and Japanese (mainly Akagi), they started the construction of Graf Zeppelin as part of the rebuilding of the navy. The air group for the carrier was settled on Messerschmitt Bf 109T fighters and Ju 87T dive bombers. The suffix 'T' denotes carrier, 'Träger', in German use.

Initially 10 Bf 109E-3s were ordered to be modified to a Bf 109T-0 standard. This included, adding a tail-hook, catapult fittings, structural strengthening, and the wingspan increased to 11.08 m. The ailerons were increased in span, as were the slots, and flap travel was increased.

Following flight tests, especially the catapult tests, a series of 70 T-1s with DB601Ns was to be produced at Fieseler in Kassel, but after seven T-1s were built, the carrier project was canceled. The remaining 63 of 70 T-1s were built as T-2s without carrier equipment and some of the T-0 and T-1s may have been "upgraded" to T-2 standard. It was found that the performance of the T-2 was closely comparable to the E-4/N and, because of its ability to take-off and land in shorter distances, these fighters were assigned to I/JG.77, deployed in Norway on landing strips which were both short and subject to frequent, powerful cross-winds. Some time after the unit was ordered to turn over their aircraft to a test unit that was training on the Drontheim-Fjorde strip and received E-3s as replacements. The armament of the Bf 109T consisted of two MG 17 above the engine and one MG FF/M cannon in each wing. T-2s were used even in some Night Fighter groups as training aircraft. Some examples with JG11 and NJG1 served well into 1944.

Bf 109Ts was also responsible for the downing's of the first B-17s over ETO prophety of British Costal Command

This is typical early Bf 109T-2 stripped from all carrier equipment.It belonged to 2./JG77 based at Lister airfield in Norway during summer of 1941. I am sorry for the poor photos of finished model,will try to make better ones during baylight when my job lets me do it :(

DSCF2962.jpg

DSCF2965.jpg

DSCF0003-1.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0008-1.jpg

DSCF0007-1.jpg

DSCF0002-1.jpg

Dejan

Edited by Lud13

Thx for nice comments guys :)

@James H

I had no real problem with it..and this was my first time, so i can only imagine what would someone with little more resin experience do with this conversion

@LSP_Kevin

Hm...i am not sure it will fit in Matchbox well it wsa a perfect fit in Eduard.

@mywifehatesmodels

Well i always liked Sea Adler, besides there is a lot spear breaking about Herberts Black 6 with red motif on the engine. Some say it has light gray mottling over basic camouflage some state oposit, Than seems they also disagree with width of yellow band around rear fuselage and yellow under the cowling so i didn't want to drop a dice how to paint Tony. and chose this one and i am very satisfied with its look :)

@Kagemusha

Thx mate, I will try now to get me a C or D conversion..have high doubts we will see them soon as injected models.

@Mikester

Thx Mike glad u liked it :)

Dejan

@LSP_Kevin

Hm...i am not sure it will fit in Matchbox well it wsa a perfect fit in Eduard.

Not having either the Eduard kit or the conversion set, I was toying with the idea of converting one of my old Matchbox kits from scratch, inspired by your build (rather than the set itself).

Kev

• 1 month later...