Heinkel He-219

SimonCornes

All of a sudden the idea of one of these popped into my mind. I can remember when the Revel kit came out at virtually the same time as the ZM kit but with a big price differential. I'm sure the Revel kit could be bought for as little as £25 12 months later and its still not expensive at around £45 but  then there is a lot of aftermarket it to may it 'decent'. I'm wondering if its actually cheaper to buy a ZM kit? If so, how much should a second hand one cost? Maybe I'll start a thread in the Trade section !!

At Omaha, there was a ZM and Revell sitting side by side, and you could not tell the difference. Personally, I would use the Revell.........Harv 

At Omaha, there was a ZM and Revell sitting side by side, and you could not tell the difference. Personally, I would use the Revell.........Harv 

That's a good point, Harv. I've seen both built, either one can look good, and I can't tell the difference either.

I believe there are some accuracy issues with the Revell nacelles, but unless you're really into He219s, you probably won't notice or care. The ZM kit is probably more accurate, but a lot of the price difference is in internal and engine detail stuff that you may choose to not display or even see.

I suppose that its a matter of how much you want to spend on aftermarket for a Revell kit, or get the pleasure out of scratch building everything instead! There's around £100 difference between the RRP so that's a lot of A/M - but then there is a lot of A/M available to!

Doesn't need a lot really IMHO - I added belts, Barracuda open cooling gills and some Eduard wheels to the Revell kit - and spent some time and filler reworking the nacelles/tail fins/fuselage cross-section and windshield...

It's a big aeroplane - brilliant value for money  :)

Iain

Once again we're back to wither it looks "good enough" to you.  If it looks good enough to you, great.  If not, great.  Where we (CONSTANTLY) get in trouble is when the latter group starts discussing why it's not "good enough" and the former group feels the need to chime in and starts calling people rivet counters, etc, etc.

Excellent post Jennings!

Personally, I'd go Revell. Great value and, to me, it sure looks like a He 219.

I've read Iain's excellent thread concerning the nacelles shape and I decided I could live with that. The large price differential allowed to me to buy a Revell He 111 kit at the same time. I'm glad I did.

Agree with your sentiments Jennings, but I thought this was quite a positive thread so far...

Iain

Agreed. I have looked at both kits, and with the end result being a possible great kit for either, I hanvnt seen anything negative from either camp, so in the end it comes down what is acceptable to each individual modeler. 

This IS LSP after-all, and instances of that are much more rare here comparatively speaking to other places. 

I bought my Revell kit in 2012 for £39.99 and what great value for money it was, I know next to nothing about Luftwaffe stuff but I bought a couple of books some AM decals, Eduard seatbelts and away I went. It was a thoroughly enjoyable, stress free build and I learned so much in the process.

Cheers

Dennis

Guys

Thank you so much for your opinions. I have read a couple of reviews of the ZM kit and came to the conclusion that it is 'too much'. Its a great example of what a manufacturer can do but I am never going to see the control cables running down the fuselage and so much more. By comparison, it seems as though the Revell kit has some issues - but who is going to notice, especially under that camouflage which hides a multitude of sins. To cap it off, the ZM kit that I had noticed on eBay is currently going to cost someone around £76 - but the auction doesn't finish until tomorrow so I'm sure it will top the £100 mark and I would have bid £150 for it if I had been convinced that it was the right kit to buy but looking on eBay drew me to a Revell example - strangely advertised for  Â£39.99 Dennis - and including a free copy of the Kagero book, albeit volume 1 but I would have thought that alone would cost around £15?

So then, it seems as though I 'need' a set of Barracuda gills and some Brassin wheels - I know where I can get both locally - and I think I noticed that Hannants had aset of HGW fabric belts and then that just leaves instrument faces. I have some Airscale instrument faces but maybe the Revell decal sheet is sufficient?

I read your build Iain and that was incredibly useful in informing my decision so the deed is done and the Revel kit ordered from eBay!

Thanks again - LSP has done what it says on the tin (?)!! 

Cheers

I like this! ... Great subject choice, BTW! ...

Two kits available ... One cheaper, with a few shape issues ... one more expensive (... ok, a lot more!) but accurate, with all necessary detail in the box.

Reviews, read ... feedback sought ... assessed against personal criteria ... decision made.

Just how it should be!

I bought the ZM Kit ... It was my first ZM purchase ... I was so impressed by what was in the box, I bought a second one.

I wasn't particularly in love with the He.219 ... But it was a Luftwaffe night fighter ... and I wanted to have a close up look at a ZM kit.

Now the aircraft fascinates me, with the levels of technology that went into the thing - which really are staggering for the time.

The Revell kit, on the other hand, represents some decent bang-for-buck - If, unlike me, you can move on past the shape issues ... especially in your part of the world (Double-plus the retail pricing if you're over here) ... .

Enjoy your purchase ... and your build!

Rog :)