F-100D Trumpeter.July 4th - 100% complete

crobinsonh

Guest Peterpools

Colin

Awesome work for sure. I've often wondered the same myself why Aires part fit is always off. Just seems with all the years they have been making resin detail sets, they would have figured out how to improve the fit a bit kore

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Great work so far!

I built this kit a few years back and really enjoyed it. I wasn't convinced that the small tabs on the wings would hold up over time and add a metal spar that ran from wing to wing. Have you looked at this part of construction yet?

Dan

Hi Dan,

I have not looked at that yet - but I certainly will now you have mentioned it. Thanks for the heads up.

What are you planning to do with the intake now you've chopped the portion out for the wheelwell mate? 

Hopefully when it all goes together the aires nose gear U/C bay will fill the gap to the fuselage whilst not intruding into the intake view. I am almost certainly going to use the Zacto suppled blanking plate as it adds a splash of colour. 

Progress continues on the F-100D. Knowing that I had reduced the structural rigidity by removing the gear bays and other details I decided to be quite deliberate regarding which side I glued the intake and the Aires resin bays etc in an effort to produce a little bit of a jigsaw puzzle that would lock together nicely as I

approached the drama of assembling the fuselage. Hopefully the following images display this clearly.

IZar2k.jpg

TT7K6w.jpg

GxnmXj.jpg

7rA2sC.jpg

In addition I continued to finish some of the smaller details. I made the decision to use the Eduard coloured PE for the instrument panel, repainted the same colour as the cockpit as well as using the black box cockpit coaming as I preferred it to the item supplied by Aires with their cockpit that I have used. I also added some small details that are very clear on the real aircraft but are not supplied by Trumpy or Aires.

u1M4oN.png

T0QIJb.png

Next up is finishing the ejector seat and getting the fuselage together.

• 2 weeks later...

The wonder of Xmas - more modelling time.

I am now working on the wings. I chose not to use the Aires main U/C bays as they where only a little more detailed and would have been a pig to fit. In addition the plugs for where the main U/C legs are to fit did not look as good as the Trumpeter parts. I have filled all the "divots" with Mr Surfacer so there "should be" much more of an impression rather than holes. In addition you may notice little tick marks in pencil - this was a reminder to me of each line that I re-scribed.

F9YJKz.png

W6FCrZ.png

G6LjdZ.jpg

8MjnXA.jpg

nJFfzU.png

I am planning to get the fuselage together later on this evening.