So does anyone else her think we need help with the LSP addiction?

1to1scale

The only help I need is an inventory system and someone to do it for me!  Oh, and more room and time. 

If the wife gives me a dirty look, I just tell her I have re-directed my alcohol funds to plastic.  Haven't touched a drink since Jan 1. 

Not that I'm giving up alcohol, but I gave it up while starting up the low carb diet.  I'm two weeks in, seeing results I don't want to screw  up with alcohol sugars and how it screws with your diet.

But just this past two weeks, I have started two new kits after a 1 year hiatus.  Not LSP though.

I told myself that when I finally retired from my career in IT that my model completion pace would accelerate to make a sizable dent in the ever-growing stash. Well after one full year of being fully retired, I ended up building a grand total of three — count ‘em — three models last year. Only two of those were 1/32 scale. That has led to a sobering realization: having a stash of kits that will never, ever be realistically built in my lifetime is truly a waste of money and storage space.

I sold or gave away just about everything, including all of my previouslyxbuilt models. I have lots of photos of my built models, but I honestly can say that I don't really miss any of them. My stash is now down to just five kits and I buy one a year now. I don't feel my enjoyment of the hobby is diminished in any way, and there's far less guilt involved.

Anyone in the Southeast US remember the estate sale of a modeler who died about ten years ago and left 10,000 kits to be disposed of? I do, and the auction held by his fellow model club members in an attempt to liquidate the lot was a truly sad experience. The stuff went for pennies on the dollar and they still couldn't get rid of it all. There was no joy amongst the participants, just the shaking of many a head in trying to understand how someone could manage to accumulate so many models in his shortened lifetime. I also experienced the same feelings when a guy in my model club passed away and we sold off about 400 or so kits to give back some money to his surviving family. It was a hell of a lot of work in cataloging, storing, transporting, and selling the kits at a contest, again for pennies on the dollar. It too had an equally profound effect on me, and that was a determination to get my model stash down to a reasonable level.

I don't want to come across as preachy, but to share my current mindset and to say that the whole purge process has been liberating. When I want a model, I just buy it and pretty much start building it immediately, like the Fly Models Hurricane that I'm currently working on. Model kits aren't rare and just about any kit can be found on the used market if you look hard enough.

There is no harm in having a ginormous stash of kits as long as you're providing for your family and paying all your bills on time. But understand that when you go to that Big Hobby Shop in the Sky, your family is going to be sorely inconvenienced with the task of what to do with the damn things.

I suspect if most of us that use this site ended our model addiction today, we would simply replace it with something else that might be worse. Maybe some of us need to moderate our accumulation, I will speak for myself and say that I should, we tend to obses about things we like so I think we would only change our obsession and reroute vs quit obsessing and quit accumulating stuff we don't really need.

Within reason this is a healthy and non destructive hobby. Keeping in mind that all things need moderation.

Trumpeter MIG-15

Going to regret that one.

No, this one is actually a passion for me, the first model I remember I ever built was a Monogram F-86 when I was 6 years old, the next kit I built was the Monogram MIG-15. So I have been collecting tons of AM for this build for a little while, I have over $100of AM for a $18.50 kit! This is going to sit next to my Italeri F-86, which is another beating I will take.

Trumpeter MIG-15

No, this one is actually a passion for me, the first model I remember I ever built was a Monogram F-86 when I was 6 years old, the next kit I built was the Monogram MIG-15. So I have been collecting tons of AM for this build for a little while, I have over $100of AM for a $18.50 kit! This is going to sit next to my Italeri F-86, which is another beating I will take.

IIRC, it was one of the first LSPs I completed. It was also the first foiled model I did as well.   And is still to this day one of the worst fitting Ive ever completed. 

1242-8.jpg

Hopefully, like my beloved F7F, your passion will carry you through. Your going to need it. The wing to fuselage fit was the worst I've ever encountered.  

IIRC, it was one of the first LSPs I completed. It was also the first foiled model I did as well. And is still to this day one of the worst fitting Ive ever completed.

1242-8.jpg

Hopefully, like my beloved F7F, your passion will carry you through. Your going to need it. The wing to fuselage fit was the worst I've ever encountered.

That is a great looking Mig. I guess I will find out, however, I still classify the Pavla Octopus OS2U Kingfisher as the worst kit I ever touched, but I did persevere to finish it.

Edited by 1to1scale

I am sitting here thinking about what kit I want to build next, I realized that in the last 30 days I have bought a lot of plastic. Last night, after my wife went to sleep, I went to my "stash" closet and was looking through my kits for a quickie project. I started opening boxes, fondling plastic, I even found a few pieces of AM I forgot I bought and stashed in the box. I then realized that I have quite a few kits. If I count everything including 1/72 and sci-fi BSG and SW stuff, I have over a hundred kits in my stash. So why is it that I still have a need to buy more kits? I must be off my rocker because I bought some more just recently.

Here is a list of what I bought since mid December:

Model 339C/D Buffalo, Special Hobby 1:32
P-40E Warhawk, Hasegawa 1:32
Grumman F4F-4 Wildcat, Trumpeter 1:32
F9F-8 Cougar, Fisher Model & Pattern 1:32
F-80C Shooting Star, Czech Model 1:32
Lockheed T-33A Shooting Star, Czech Model 1:32
Messerschmitt Me-163B "Komet", Meng Model 1:32
Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc, Fly 1:32
MiG-15 bis Fighter, Trumpeter 1:32
Mikoyan MiG-17PF, Trumpeter 1:32
F-86F Sabre Jet "Skyblazers", Italeri 1:32
King Tiger Sd.Kfz.182 Porsche Turret, Takom 1:35
P-47D Thunderbolt (Gabreski), Hasegawa 1:32
Republic F-84G Thunderjet, Hobby Boss 1:32
Sopwith Pup RFC, Wingnut Wings 1:32
Colonial Viper MkII, Moebius Models 1:32
Fokker E.V, Avis Models 1:32

And this does not include all the AM that I bought for each of these.

I start to wonder if I need therapy, better self control, is there is a problem I need to address... or do I need to build more kits, and faster. What do you guys think? Am I crazy?

I came to the realization a long time ago that the planning, research, and acquisition phases of a modeling project are at least as much fun as the building phase itself.

You did all that research/planning/buying b/c it's fun and it makes you happy.  The fact that you have a lot of stashed kits and haven't built them yet is kind of beside the point.

You can always sell them to a happy new owner anyway.

I say: "Stash on!"

:rofl:

I came to the realization a long time ago that the planning, research, and acquisition phases of a modeling project are at least as much fun as the building phase itself.

You did all that research/planning/buying b/c it's fun and it makes you happy.  The fact that you have a lot of stashed kits and haven't built them yet is kind of beside the point.

I have always contended that stash collecting and stash building are two thoroughly and wholly separate hobbies. 

Sell?!?!

What? I need all of them!

My “stash†days are over. After wrestling with turning 70 and looking at the modest stash, knowing I woukd still be buying the latest ‘most have' kits and knowing the time ahead is a lot less then the time behind, I decided to sell off the vast majority of kits that have been with me for years. I stopped kidding myself, knowing I would in reality never build them and they are anything but ‘money in the bank'.

Selling the majority of the stash was a ton of work and while the money rolled in, it surely was a lot less then what I paid for them. My stash today is still too big :18 kits (AM doesn't count), mainly limited run kits, resin and a very few of the latest gems I justhave to have.

I build a kit and buy a kit. The stash does grow as new limited run kits appear but I'm

also a lot more particular in what I buy.

I have friends that I see at evety model show trying their once prized older kits that, in all

honesty you can't give away: starting with all the beauties with raised panel lines. Time and technology march on.

Nope, no stash more then what I have.

Peter

You want to make a bit of a profit when selling your old model kits?  Sell them on eBay.

I've been watching the comments (way cool, Danny, collecting helmets AND the planes they flew in!) and the stash sizes (some of our club members have stashes in the several thousand and have intricate programs to catalog, etc - PM me if you need info in that area) and all with a smile on my face.

I've been pretty restrained to date - I MAY have around 40 kits of which I acquired five at the recent show in Chattanooga. One of which is a 1/48 Hasegawa P-39 that came with a beautiful wooden star as a display base, a nice sign with the pilots name and signature laser engraved.  Should make for an interesting display.

This brings me to the comment above about $100 of AM for a $18.50 kit (1to1).  Well, I've added the Eduard BigED kit for the above P-39, and after ordering and receiving the Quickboost resin exhausts, finding not one but TWO sets of 1/48 Moskit metal exhausts: Round and Fishtail in my stash.  And True Details resin wheels and tires, and a resin N-3 gunsight to boot.  For a Hasegawa P-39.  I could see doing all this for the Eduard kit.  :hmmm:  Maybe...   :mental:

I'm not even going to list the AM stuff I have for the Tamiya 1/32 Mustang I'll start sometime soon....No no no no noooooo.....

Not to mention all of the books and research material. Which has got to be the worst resell value.

My books and other references are a mixed bag.  Many are now un-obtainium and show up on eBay for crazy prices (so tempting to sell off).  I look through my collection every now and then and wish I would have bought more within a series for example than some of the kits I own.  These stragglers are now too expensive for me.

Rick