Hawker Typhoon walk around photos, just added

LSP_K2

• 1 month later...

You should be aware that the Typhoon was repainted (or at least some of it) in Ottawa.  They got the letters wrong on the side of the fuselage.  Much too skinny.  The Brits were really pissed off about it.   I have some shots of the plane from the museum in 2015 but not the close ups.  I can post them if anyone wants to see them.

I don't know if anyone has or is going to make the model one of the Zipp iterations that are around in 1/72 completed models, but S/L Johnnie (Zipp) Button was my uncle.  I can also post some photos of his planes if needed.

One thing I always wondered about, and maybe one of the resident Brits can answer,... What's with the goofy looking big sidewall tailwheel tyre on Brit aircraft back then? They look like retreads that threw the tread off.

Did a serve any useful purpose? Was there a reason behind it, or is that just a typical Brit tyre from the early 40s?

Over here, we all used the donut style, which is still used today.

Anti-shimmy, as far as I'm aware.

• 10 months later...

I don't know if anyone has or is going to make the model one of the Zipp iterations that are around in 1/72 completed models, but S/L Johnnie (ZippButton was my uncle.  I can also post some photos of his planes if needed.

John, Hi, I've been trying to research about one of your Uncles aircraft as the subject and would definitely be interested in seeing any photos please.

I'm using the Airfix 24th scale kit and would ideally like it to be MP195 (DP-Z) Zipp X. I came across some IWM film footage showing a little of the starboard side and nose, but haven't as yet managed to see anything of the port side in actual photo form.

In the film, they were loading 'Nickle' leaflet cannisters for dropping on troop concentrations near Falaise around the 17th August. 

I dug out the Squadron ORB and saw that your Uncle flew this mission and also the 1000lb equipped raid six days earlier.

Any photo or other information would be very welcome.

Thanks Bob.