1/32 recovered B-17 - UPDATE 12/10/13 - FINISHED - YAY!

richdlc

I've been away quite a bit but any time I was on I came looking to see this thread, if nothing else. Just amazing work, well and truly bookmarked for ref and  pleasure to read through. This is one of the best builds I've ever seen and I'd give a lot to see it in person. Well done Sir !!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Vaughn

• 2 weeks later...

This has been the best scratchbuild I've ever seen! I really don't mean to criticize but there's a detail that strike me as a bit odd. In recovering the aircraft for the boneyard, the two things that would've been removed from the wreckage immediately would have been the .50 cals for safety and due to it's secrecy the Norden bombsight. as I said, I don't mean to be a killjoy, but it might be a point that judges might wonder about too. Otherwise, it's absolutely phenomenal! some B&W pics would be hard to disprove from actual photos from the time.

Great job!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't followed the full story, but I have a real instance of a B-17 being recovered that I want illustrated artistically - but then seeing your stuff it occurs to me that a diorama or model might be better.

YB-40 25732, a B-17F variant forced landed near Uig on the Isle of Lewis in May 1943.  It was dismantled on site and roaded 40 miles over dirt roads, reassembled and flown out.  This was a mammoth effort.  But, although I have eye-witness accounts, there are no photographs.

I've written an article on this for an aviation magazine, but illustrations of the actual event are obviously a problem.  I'm not certain what I'm offering here, but the local museum could be interested in a diorama or model as well as my interest for my article.  

I'd like to make contact to see what might be possible.  

Regards,

Graham 

(Currently on the Isle of Lewis, but normally resident in Somerset)

• 3 years later...

hey, Photobucket has un-blocked all of my images - RESULT!  I wanted to show a friend this thread only the other week but couldn't but now I can!

I am off to re-read some of my favourite threads.  :piliot: