WNWs Camel........finally!

Wolf Buddee

It's surprising with all the hype about the Wingnut Wings Camel that no one has started a WIP thread here or on any of the other sites I've checked. I was having some issues pressing on with my Mossie build so I though I'd give the Camel kit a go. 

I had ordered some PC12 and Clear Doped Linen fabric effect decals from Aviattic and Richard very kindly included some of their superb wood grain decals. I decided to try some out on the instrument panel. I started by making a template from Tamiya masking tape so I had a decal that would lay down nicely on the IP clearing all the highly raised detail such as the instrument housings and magneto switches. The tape template was laid over top of the decal material and all the holes marked out including the overall shape of the panel. The decal was cut according to my  template and the smaller holes such as those for the magneto switches, clock, air pressure gauge, and air pressure relief valve, were punched out using my Waldron punch and die set. I obviously did something right as the decal fit near perfectly on the IP which had been painted with a base coat of Model Master's enamel Wood paint. Micro Sol and a hair dryer helped the decal conform over any remaining raised detail.

I replaced the moulded on Pulsometer with a Taurus Models item which is three separate incredibly detailed and tiny pieces including the clear sight glass and I also added it's small copper tube. The 3 main instrument housings had sink marks on their faces so they were sanded flat and the lost bezel detail was replaced with AeroClub PE instrument bezels. All the instrument faces were kit supplied decals as is usual for Wingnut Wings. Once the instrument decals had been applied I laid the PE bezels over top and fixed them in place with Future which not only "glues" the bezels in place but also gives me a glass like finish over the instrument decal.

If I would do anything different, I'd replace the Rev, Counter cable with a scratch built item as the moulded on one is a nuisance and I broke it at least three times by snagging it on my gauze bandage covering my wounded left hand. :( Nonetheless I think it'll look OK when peering at it through the cockpit opening.

Cheers,

Wolf

Camel-IP-2_zpscuzfutrb.jpg

Cheers Wolf!

I am excited to see one of these here as a WIP, watching you build one is an extra bonus.  Can I ask which boxing you chose, and have you selected a particular scheme yet?  I have just finished cleaning up all of the parts in my "Clerget" boxing, and noticed a few potential issues which you might want to check on yours?  I purchased six WNW Camels, and three of those arrived with broken A26 parts.  In each case, the rear strut was broken off right at the spot where the strut changes angles to meet the upper wing.  I was able to get two replacements from WNW, will have to try and fix the third using the least damaged kit part.  Part B7 (cockpit decking) has a good sized ejector pin mark on one side which protrudes out past the outer edge, and will need to be filled delicately to preserve the detail there.  Also on part B7 the sprue attachment point is right between two raised rivets.  I tried to clean it up without damaging them, but ended up sanding off those raised rivets.  Will have to decide whether to ignore them or replace them.  Finally, the molds are a bit off, leaving some good seams to clean up, especially on some of the more delicate parts.  On mine, they are off enough so that the tiny holes on the wing struts where the rigging attaches look more like the letter "C" than an "O". 

Anxiously watching this one for updates, hope to follow in your footsteps soon!

I think the data plate at the top is upside-down.

And the clock has the wrong time.

But it IS right 2 times a day ! Wolf buddy, excellent as usual my friend !......Harv :popcorn:

I think the data plate at the top is upside-down.

And the clock has the wrong time.

Geez, Dean.......you made me go back to make sure I hadn't placed the manufacturer's data placard upside down. LOL!

.......and Harvey's right about the time displayed on the clock. :)

Cheers,

Wolf

It was obvious that the Camel had another color of plastic inside the Duelist boxing then the LVG, which was in the normal grey color. Is this common practice?

Nice progress Wolf. How's the Taurus pulsometer handling??

Greetz

Danny

Danny, the Taurus Pulsometer is amazing in detail and very small. Luckily you get 2 in the package. Use 5 minute epoxy to assemble it though. I glued the 1st one together with CA and found the bottom 2 pieces were slightly misaligned. I broke it trying to adjust the pieces. 5 minute epoxy will give you lots of time to make sure everything is aligned properly.

Cheers,

Wolf

Hope the hand wasn't to much of a hindrance.

So good to see someone doing a WIP of a camel .......at last..........then I maybe tempted......

Thanks Phil,

The hand doesn't like being used to much so I'll have limited time at the bench.

As far as the Camel kit is concerned, it's typically amazing Wingnut Wings.

Cheers,

Wolf

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your input. I bought the Br.1 version and with the exception of misaligned moulds I have noticed everything you mentioned. My part, A26 was also broken at the top of both cabane struts and Dave Johnson from Wingnut Wings promptly sent me a replacement piece. On the upper cockpit covering, part B7, I'll fill the ejector pin mark with a small styrene disc punched out with my Waldron punch and die set. Any lost rivet detail will be replaced with Archer Fine Transfer rivet decals. A little annoying for sure but thankfully easy to overcome.

Cheers,

Wolf