1/32 Trumpeter Me 262A-1a "Yellow 3"

Thunnus

Great choice of subject. Looking forward to your build! The Trumpeter Jumo 004 intake diameter looks visually too small, but I haven't measured it and compared with the original. I may be wrong. The rivetting is indeed a bit exagerated, but may be toned down by a layer of primer. Note tht the tail of this aircraft was made of wood (it was one of the few experimental tails attached to some aircraft).

Edited by VintageEagle

Here are the Montex Masks that I've picked up for this build.  I really like using masks instead of decals whenever I can and at a minimum, I'll be using these masks for the numerals, crosses and swastikas.  They also have the yellow/black skull badge as a mask but it looks a bit fiddly to use.  I can use the Trumpeter decals for badge as a back-up. 

In lieu of the PE belts that Trumpeter supplies, I've purchased a s et of HGW fabric belts.  I have a hard time getting PE belts to look natural and fabric belts, whether they are from HGW or RB, are my preferred choice, especially for open canopy builds.  And no, I didn't make a purchasing mistake... I saw that the 262B set was about the same price as the 262A... a great cost-cutting move to pick up two harness sets for the price of one, no?

img=https://s6.postimg.org/pivnbon41/IMG_2127.jpg]

I got the same Montex masks for a different plane with the yellow/black skull badge. I didn't realise it was in the kit which I already owned!

HGW belt sets; same idea/thoughts as well. Mosquito sets come with 2 RAF belts but the same price as a single spit set.

Looking forward to this one.

A delightful and challenging build awaits you John.  Thanks for taking the effort to share your trials and victories :D

Looking forward to the odyssey  :piliot:

Dan

Thanks Dan!  This one is going to a long one, I think.  I have an oversees trip in February that will take me off the bench for at least a few weeks.

Time to get the dremel out by the looks of it John!!

Regards. Andy

Yes.  Once I am comfortable with how the Aires components fit and which kit parts will remain, I'll have to start the hacking process.  Depending on the quality of the plastic, sometimes I find it easier to use a curved x-acto blade to slice off those long ribs on the interior.

You can grind those tabs away - and the kit pit will still fit nicely in the fuselage!

Have a look here: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?s=955e18816566fff4a03915c78ed38fe3&showtopic=67660&page=2

Cheers

Alan

I just checked out your entire build thread, Alan.  Good to know about those huge mounting lugs... removing those will make it easier to compare the fit of the Aires components to the kit parts.

Looking forward to this! Seams you're taking the 262 whole the way to town!

Those Barracuda wheels look delicious, such detail....

A few guys at my club are building the 2 seater version of the 262 and I think it's a great kit, especially considering all the updates you will be using.

Thanks Jerry!  Are your friends building the Trumpeter 2 seater or the new Revell?

Great choice of subject. Looking forward to your build! The Trumpeter Jumo 004 intake diameter looks visually too small, but I haven't measured it and compared with the original. I may be wrong. The rivetting is indeed a bit exagerated, but may be toned down by a layer of primer. Note tht the tail of this aircraft was made of wood (it was one of the few experimental tails attached to some aircraft).

Thank you for that information!  I know more about the 109G/K and 190D-9 so any insight regarding the 262 is very helpful and appreciated.  I'm not going an absolute stickler for accuracy but I like doing those little things that make one's build different from the rest.

I just got this kit as a b-day gift, so I'll be watching your build. Will you be using putty on all the seams and rivets like the real thing?

I don't think I'll be removing the rivets.  My plan is to reduce their impact by giving the exterior surfaces a fine sanding and re-scribing all of the panel lines.  That plus the priming/painting process should knock the rivets down.

Wow, terrific looking!  With your paint and weathering skills, this will be a stunner in the end.  More please!! 

Thanks Brian!  My brain is still stuck on that first obstacle... figuring out these Aires resin pieces. 

I got the same Montex masks for a different plane with the yellow/black skull badge. I didn't realise it was in the kit which I already owned!

HGW belt sets; same idea/thoughts as well. Mosquito sets come with 2 RAF belts but the same price as a single spit set.

Looking forward to this one.

Are you going to do Yellow 2?  That's a very interesting scheme.

If the undercarriage legs seem too long, it could be that the aircraft Trumpeter used as a reference ( photo's, drawings or museum aircraft ) were devoid of fuel/equipment/ordinance etc, and were therefore at the full extent of the oleo's. A lot of manufactures should offer fully extended or compressed versions of U/C legs. so as to give we, the modelers a choice of posing our model as either "in flight" coming in to land, or "on the ground" fully loaded.

Oh, one other thing, we do Maths here in the UK, Maths is made up of a sum of numbers with an answer the result. A number on it's own is just a number and not Math as how did you get the answer without doing the Maths :frantic:

All joking aside, I look forward to this build , if only to give me some inspiration to get mine out of the loft/attic.

Bob.

John,

I am so glad you are documenting your projects with such care. As usual, your attention to the details is top notch. I will definitely have some more to offer you here, having discussed with Thomas 1/32 Jumos in detail from a modeling perspective, but these notes will be shared when you begin work on the engines, I think, to preserve your wonderful flow to the story you are telling. Personally I go back and forth on whether to leave a cover off one engine since the Jumos were so fussy to maintain. Have you considered this option?

All the best,

Bruce

Oh, one other thing, we do Maths here in the UK, Maths is made up of a sum of numbers with an answer the result. A number on it's own is just a number and not Math as how did you get the answer without doing the Maths :frantic:

Bob.

That's interesting. Here in the U.S. we have something similar called Mathematics. We can not only do sums, but we can also find products, square roots, areas and volumes and all manner of wonderful things. Perhaps we can arrange to send over some samples with our next shipment of Justin Timberlake albums and Supernatural dvd box sets. 😚 Edited by CATCplSlade

Great project, John. It's funny that you're contemplating whether it's worth using the Aires cockpit to upgrade the Trumpeter one. I used parts of the Trumpeter cockpit to upgrade the Hasegawa kit when I built it!

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=29698

Kev

Thanks Kevin!  The Trumpeter cockpit is quite good, IMO.  Good enough to debate whether or not to use the resin.  Since it is integral to the Aires set, I'll probably end up using the resin but I don't think the difference is very noticeable in the pit.

If the undercarriage legs seem too long, it could be that the aircraft Trumpeter used as a reference ( photo's, drawings or museum aircraft ) were devoid of fuel/equipment/ordinance etc, and were therefore at the full extent of the oleo's. A lot of manufactures should offer fully extended or compressed versions of U/C legs. so as to give we, the modelers a choice of posing our model as either "in flight" coming in to land, or "on the ground" fully loaded.

All joking aside, I look forward to this build , if only to give me some inspiration to get mine out of the loft/attic.

Bob.

Thanks Victor!  I'll do a bit more research before I start chopping up the landing gear.  But it does appear that many 262's had a distinct "squat" to them.

:popcorn:

Great start John. Really enjoy your detailed build threads!  :thumbsup:

Dan

Thanks Dan!  It will be a while before I can really jump into this one with both feet.  Still need to wrap up the 1/48 Hien and I have an overseas trip coming in a few weeks.

I'll be looking forward to this one John as the rest have also mentioned. Great subject and start so far.

Troy

Thanks Troy!

John,

As a relative novice when it comes to resin, I appreciate your insights as to how to go about it. 

I can definitely see that there is some improvement with the resin parts.

Gaz

I have a long way to go before I feel comfortable with resin.  The more I work with it, the less fear I have but the irritation factor seems to be increasing.

John,

I am so glad you are documenting your projects with such care. As usual, your attention to the details is top notch. I will definitely have some more to offer you here, having discussed with Thomas 1/32 Jumos in detail from a modeling perspective, but these notes will be shared when you begin work on the engines, I think, to preserve your wonderful flow to the story you are telling. Personally I go back and forth on whether to leave a cover off one engine since the Jumos were so fussy to maintain. Have you considered this option?

All the best,

Bruce

Hi Bruce!  Always a pleasure to hear your comments!  I like my aircraft with the canopy shut and all panels and hatches closed.  I don't think I'll be changing with the 262 even though it seems like leaving some of the panels open on this kit would be easier than shutting them.  Maybe I'll leave the canopy open, if it doesn't affect the look too much.