F7F-4N question

bevelduc

Yes, I am also building the TIgercat from HpH and there has never been to my knowledge any DSB over gray F7Fs, or any other post WWII DSB aircraft with any other colors. I think from looking at the pic you posted its a play of light in the picture that appears to make it seem like there is a paint demark there.

• 2 weeks later...

For those building this kit...is it worth the $400 plus price? It's one of my favourite aircraft, but having difficulty justifying the $$$

Cheers

If you want a 1/32 F7F, it's pretty much your only choice.  

Yes to what Jennigs said, and yes/no to what you asked. Im in the middle of mine right now (taking a slight break for a Jeep outing soon to be happening), but yes its worth it to me, as the kit is highly detailed, and you get a lot of stuff in the kit including a great looking cockpit with one of the best IPs Ive seen in a kit, HGW seatbelts, metal rockets with brass bodies, and some areas so super detailed (like the nacelles) that they verge on mini kits of their own.

However..............

Be prepared to do some heavy modification in a lot of areas. The nose gear has a rod that goes all the way through the top of the tire, (G Factor now makes a brass replacement but its a direct copy of the OOB gear and will also have to be modified) and the secondary folding arm for the nose gear if left OOB and not modified will put the nose gear at a 90 deg angle to the plane, where it should be at a very distinct angle forward. 

There are other issues with the kit, like the fact that the entire lower wing panel on the port side is about 2mm off from the upper port wing half (I re-scribed the entire wing section on mine),  funky shaped wing tips, and wing intakes that let one see into the inner assembly parts of the wing, but its all about how passionate you are about the F7F, and how much work/modification you are willing to put into a $300+ kit. 

Yes to what Jennigs said, and yes/no to what you asked. Im in the middle of mine right now (taking a slight break for a Jeep outing soon to be happening), but yes its worth it to me, as the kit is highly detailed, and you get a lot of stuff in the kit including a great looking cockpit with one of the best IPs Ive seen in a kit, HGW seatbelts, metal rockets with brass bodies, and some areas so super detailed (like the nacelles) that they verge on mini kits of their own.

However..............

Be prepared to do some heavy modification in a lot of areas. The nose gear has a rod that goes all the way through the top of the tire, (G Factor now makes a brass replacement but its a direct copy of the OOB gear and will also have to be modified) and the secondary folding arm for the nose gear if left OOB and not modified will put the nose gear at a 90 deg angle to the plane, where it should be at a very distinct angle forward. 

There are other issues with the kit, like the fact that the entire lower wing panel on the port side is about 2mm off from the upper port wing half (I re-scribed the entire wing section on mine),  funky shaped wing tips, and wing intakes that let one see into the inner assembly parts of the wing, but its all about how passionate you are about the F7F, and how much work/modification you are willing to put into a $300+ kit. 

Thanks very much for the detailed reply, appreciated. I'm new to the forum and just realised that you have a build thread of this kit in your signature, so I will read through that one throughly.....I think this is one of those kits that's going to bug me until I get it  :doh: