P-51 Mustang (1/24 Airfix & 1/24 Trumpeter)

peter_ewbank

We've actually got 3 sons - all in roughly the same age bracket so the only democratic thing to do was build 3 models all at the same time :-(

I really had to stuggle. Trumpeter's engine mount is a thing of beauty and Airfix's Engine the same. It was just so tempting to bash the 2 kits together to make one Mustang the way it should be. But I stayed the course and built both kits OOB. Airfix's engine mounts are non-existant and Trumpeter's Merlin is wubbish.

Anyway, here is progress to date:

post-2355-1217582395.jpg

I can relate to the trumpeter build as I started one about a month ago. Being new to modeling, it has been a real challange, in fact I signed up for a beginners class just so I can complete the THING. Made so many mistakes that It's going to be a gear-up closed cockpit bird. Aren't those exaust manifolds a joy to work with? :rolleyes:

The exhausts on the Trumpeter kit are ridiculous although most other aspects of the kit were well designed. But I did not at all enjoy the oversimplified engine on the Trumpeter kit. The overall impression for me was - "Why bother." On the other hand, the enigne mount is impressive. I think in future I'll buy both the Airfix and the Trumpeter kit again and see what I can do to incorporate the best features of each.

though the airfix and the trumpeter kits have some of the same problems the airfix one from where l stand is still the better option to build from . Combining strengths of two kits to make one has it merits though

later

In my opinion there's almost no part of the Trumpeter kit that could help make a better Airfix Mustang.

The Airfix kit is far from perfect but still better in every way than Trumpeter's (dimensions, shape & accuracy).

The only way to get an accurate 1/24 P-51D is to go with the Airfix kit and take the time to correct and properly detail it.

With a lot of work you can also get a nice Mustang out of the Trumpeter kit but it will never be as accurate due to some basic flaws that are almost impossible to correct such as the wings being too small or the tail being somewhat misshaped.

That's my two cents anyway.

Peter, it's nice to see the 2 kits built in parallel.

Nice start.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, here's the Airfix version. Done as Big Beautiful Doll on the box art. It's ok as a kit - I wouldn't write home about it. Biggest issue is carving a 2-3mm chunk out of each side of the wing root to get proper dihedral for wings. Good stores - oddly enough the rocket firing ones were used in Korea, though rockets are included (6) in the kit as well as 2 500lb bombs. It's rather an odd mix - extremely detailed radiators etc - which you can't see - then a gaping hole where the landing gear bays are. Ideal for hackers and scratchbuilders - probably one of the more difficult of their 1/24 series. Looks great when done though. I personally stayed away from the Trumpeter one after reading a few reviews.

post-4444-1222665826.jpg

post-4444-1222666257.jpg

nevertheless, thats a good looking mustang to me------it looks right from a short distance----the only (if you will excuse the minor critiqe) thing i would do to it---it isn't to late--is shorten the undercart.---which is moulded in the 'unloaded' state. check out a pic. from side or head on and you'll see immediately what i mean.

lovely anyway.

cheers,

dave.

Hi Dave,

Sure, I don't mind. Your absolutely right about the landing gear. Nothing a razor saw won't fix!

Sometimes I get the impression that the makers of some of these kits didn't worry too much about fit or finer details. It's a bit like an old place I had - perfect row of nails in the cladding until about the last 5 from the corner all over the place. Made me wonder if there was a big rush by builders to finish to get to the pub! Same for some models.

It's still a good kit for it's age though - just no frills (flaps molded up etc).

Cheers

Ian