Hannants is listing a Revell Spitfire IXC

RBrown

I saw a poster mention Tamiya price vs. Revell, for many in this hobby I really don't think money for an individual kit is a big issue since many of us with or without excess funds are sitting on more unbuilt models than we can ever build. $100.00 for a kit vs $30 just does not seem like an issue when many will buy 3 or 4 of the revell kit. I personally would wrather have one higher quality model to 3 more basic ones of the same thing.

However, one argument in favor of this kit is that it will be a simpler and faster build. I absolutely believe that there is room for a nice kit with accurate exterior lines and minimal sub components such as complete engines. It takes a long time to build the Tamiya spitfire and that is not for all of us. I can see the point of not messing with the engine assembly.

I personally will stick with Tamiya for my Mind IX build or builds (I have built 2 and plan at least one more) but this kit should find it's own space in the market.

In a side note I believe that the 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire is in the top 10 of the most important model kits ever made. I am not the biggest Spitfire fan but this kit in my opinion revolutionized 1/32 scale aircraft model design and is historically important to our hobby based upon it's engineering and design. I don't rank the Tamiya Zero as highly as I see it more as a prelude to this kit because of some of it's more toy like features.

I've got all of Tamiya's 1/32 Spitfires  MkVIII, MkIX & MkXVI. I'll certainly buy Revell's new Mk.IX.

I mean, at that price I really don't mind if it's "imperfect", and as Mike rightly pointed out, 90% of people will look at the Revell & Tamiya finished models and not know the difference.

I've avoided the Hobbyboss kit. "Cheap & imperfect" or "expensive & perfect" are fine. However, "expensive & imperfect" is not.

They still are, and the AFV/Academy F-16D Block 52 has been out for a while - two left

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AR32S02

I believe Revell has announced its first quarter releases and the Spitty Mk.IX is part of that (?) The Mk.IX is far better looking than the Mk.II but I'd really lve a new Griffon variant.

Tony

Sorry, i meant F-16F (block 60 !)

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AC12119

Thierry, the HobbyBoss Spitfire is a textbook example of CAD being used to develop a shape without understanding the actual structure underneath. The fuselage has been made from an outline and a handful of cross sections and then a blended surface swept between them all. It ends up looking all smooth and bloated, rather than a series of beautiful but distinct changes of shape. Look at the rear perspex section of the canopy for example. The real thing is a flat sheet with a single radius bend over the top. The Hobbyboss kit shapes that area as an eliptical teardrop, all curves, no straight sections. It completely changes the shape of the rear upper fuselage, and how the sides of the cockpit blend going forwards. This makes the windscreen too wide as well.

I do find it strange when piffling details like rivets seem to trump gross shape errors in some reviews!!

Edited by wunwinglow

I do find it strange when piffling details like rivets seem to trump gross shape errors in some reviews!!

So agree with you here! Those rivets are far easier to deal with than glaring shape issues. I know what I would rather tackle!

Best regards;

Steve

I've got all of Tamiya's 1/32 Spitfires  MkVIII, MkIX & MkXVI. I'll certainly buy Revell's new Mk.IX.

I mean, at that price I really don't mind if it's "imperfect", and as Mike rightly pointed out, 90% of people will look at the Revell & Tamiya finished models and not know the difference.

I've avoided the Hobbyboss kit. "Cheap & imperfect" or "expensive & perfect" are fine. However, "expensive & imperfect" is not.

I have quite a few different Spitfires in the stash. Tamiya's really are the best out there (I think that's also the general consensus) ... the problem being that they stopped at those later variants!

The best early variant I've found is, surprisingly, an old Revell boxing / hybrid Hasegawa kit of the Mk.I/IIa ... the combo of raised and recessed panel lines was (accidentally) pretty accurate.

I know a lot of people don't like the Hobby Boss kit and I suppose on your side of the world it would be relatively expensive ... Revell and Hobbyboss are comparable (by the time I get them here), price wise.

Heck, I can get Hasegawa kits cheaper than both delivered to my front door. So you can probably understand why I avoid the price in comparisons - although seeing the differential around the world, I certainly understand why some would.

I agree ... If someone asked me for Tamiya money on the Hobbyboss Vb or the Revell II.a ... I'd laugh.

Tamiya is about $115-$120 AUD shipped to me ... Hobbyboss / Revell about $55-$65

Looking over the sprues of the Vb and comparing them against to the newer Revell Mk.IIa - there is surprisingly little difference in the surface detail department (rivets, panel lines etc).

Both have accuracy issues that, while not completely fixed by AM - are certainly major improvements - the Hobbyboss Vb by HpH and the Revell IIa by the likes of Barracuda.

I've seen both made and on display (no filler or putty) ... and being honest - as much as I love the Tamiya kits, they both finish rather well ... so much so that I feel comments about "trenches" and "craters" are wildly exaggerated.

The only standout issue is shape.

I put them on par with each other (Tamiya aside) ... of course everyone is entitled to their own view ... I can only go off what I've seen or experienced, which is again, subjective.

Rog :)

I can afford the Tamiya Spitfire but I won't buy it at that price mainly because it's not my main interest, but I do want a 1/32nd Spitfire that isn't a Mk.11a or Mk.22/24 and that's cheap so this will sort my needs just fine.

$27 for the kit, and another $60 for the putty to fill the rows of machine gun holes along each and every panel from stem to stern.

I can now pick up Mr. Surfacer at my LHS. I allocate one jar for each Trumpeter kit. 1/2 jar for each Revell Spitfire. It am used to it. Reins kits its mandatory.

Rick

I will probably pass on this kit. I have PMC kits (great decal options) and a couple of Tamya kits. I would however buy two MK I kits (he waits with Watts propeller in stash). Someone mentioned a FW -190A-8. I would buy that. I need Fly to push out a Mk I Hurricane.

Rick