I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

Brilliant work Phil.

Many Thanks mate, I'm sort of building for myself and designing for others at the same time...

Phil

great bit of engineering there

Thanks Shawn, 

If you see photos below,  there is a 'see though' effect underneath the stabilisers, (to adjust the incidents of the stabilisers) so my solution is the light structure shown in the thread - that is both supportive in an empty shell / fuselage ... as well as getting the  same 'see through effect' once the stabilisers are installed.

Phil 

diVvkAY.jpg?1

lkm9FSw.jpg

Phil

Holy Smokes - fantastic work on the horizontal stabilizers - what a nice piece of engineering.

Enjoy your your power tool - I'm sure you will be putting it to very good use. Of course, Eric brings up an excellent point.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Muchly Peter!

As the photo shows below, the Canberra has a boxed section structure in the tail unit... which is all very well, but it wouldn't work here in an empty shell rear tail  - being a vacuform. The reasoning is that, I would have had to make a bigger and a more complex boxed structure within the tail unit, which would have been heavier than my support structure version (making the model a tail-sitter) ...So I think my approach is a more effective solution

... well - that's what me thinks!

Yeah, i'm looking forward to using the lathe on more accurate parts for more challenging areas of the fuselage in the coming threads.. but should be something different and real playtime for me.

Phil

iS7AbMr.jpg

Beautiful stuff Phil this one very interesting build.

Guy

Thanks Guy, 

I know you're doing some very interesting stuff too!..  can't wait to see some of your artistry put up here soon!

Phil

Edited by Piprm

• 3 months later...

OK, while I'm waiting for special tools for my lathe , I've decided to prepare the fuselage ....

Again, being an old I'D vac-sheet, it is very thin, so I will double-plate the fuselage with an extra styrene sheet of equal thickness to bring it up to the Tigger standards...

NOTE:  you don't have to do this to the Tigger version - it's thick enough!

o8OkkFv.jpg?2

xlJYdR6.jpg?1

1wVnYes.jpg?1

JqrOoRu.jpg?1

wMjn0zp.jpg?1

... and back to my old trick of welding the edge of the sheets (plates) together, for added strength to lessen flexing.....

uK0Sh31.jpg?1

tKXbA0D.jpg?1

rZHW3lG.jpg?1

No need to double-plate the openings of the crew access hatch and cockpit canopy areas, as they will have to be cut open later anyways... why make extra work for myself?

oNSSYnT.jpg?2

DpN9Bvw.jpg?1

... and the fuselage was found to be slightly warped - sitting around for nearly 25 years... so it will have to be clamped for a few weeks to re-straighten it, before i can start on the cockpit and beefing up the fuselage joins....

nypsXFe.jpg?1

Edited by Piprm

And here's my new lathe coming together nicely...

I had a play on it recently, but found I needed some accessories to give me more adjustment.. and some extra lathe tools to do some complicated parts...so these parts are on order.

... oh well, patience is a virtue... :doh: 

HuCpDZj.png

But overall, I am very happy with it and can see some good stuff being made from it in future!

Edited by Piprm

Pip - welcome back - great to see such ambition & skills back in the room :)

that soldering idea is really clever, another one to nick for my toolbox!

going to be great being a wingman watching you on this build - its right up my street :)

Peter

Pip - welcome back - great to see such ambition & skills back in the room :)

that soldering idea is really clever, another one to nick for my toolbox!

going to be great being a wingman watching you on this build - its right up my street :)

Peter

Thanks muchly Peter!  :)

Yeah, that soldering idea works a treat!... no 'wobble' and flip-flopping  now!

With you as my wingman ... I cannot go wrong!

.. in fact (based on what I've seen of your recent work) ..... I think I should be yours!  ^_^

Pip

Edited by Piprm

Good to see this up and running again. And never feel bad about buying tools!!

Yeah thanks mate,

I think if I wasn't laid - up with my health issues, in last 12 months - this should have been finished by now!

Oh well .. can't control these things - I guess... 

Yes, tools are essential, if you want to do a good job... and of course, I'll be thanking myself later, when i am doing other tricky projects!

Pip

Pip, so happy to see this back. I've missed seeing it. Also happy your health is better !!....Harv

Yeah, Thanx Harv! :)

I'm feeling now as I did, before the malady.

And yes, I've missed getting my hands busy with this build!.... but now - full-steam ahead!... (pending parts and finances)

Pip

Edited by Piprm

Canberra plans:

For this sort of build, you need plans and good ones!

The ID plans that i have are those supplied in the kit of the B(1) Mk 8.... but these do not show the B-20 bubble canopy version - even though I.D supplied a canopy for it!

So I tried to get some plans for the B-20..... but do you think i could find any good drawings in books or even trawling the internet? 

Just bad line drawings and No luck, so I had to do my own alterations to the existing plans and convert these to a B-20.

Firstly the B(1) Mk 8 original  I.D. plans: 

dcsgJOp.jpg?1

05q1LMv.jpg?1

Now a sample of my B-20 converted plans.....

PXLTIEI.jpg?1

bUSlabE.jpg?2

By what I understand,  Tigger doesn't have these plans either, so if anyone here needs copies of these for their own B - 20 bubble canopy version ..... please massage me and i will shoot you a set.

Edited by Piprm

Guest Peterpools

Phil

Great to see you back and plugging away ... brilliant work as always and a pleasure to follow.

Surely one nice new tool to use and looking forward to you turning out some spectacular parts.

Keep 'em coming

Peter