Aerotech Supermarine S5

TorbenD

Torben

So glad you are going to tackling the Aerotech Supermarine S5; just a fantastic project. I've been very carefully catching up and following your work to date and I can only imagine how much time and effort has already gone into the project. Greatly appreciate the photos of the correct Archer and HGW rivets and will be following with intense interest. Please go slow on the riveting process, so we can see how it is done.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks for dropping by and commenting Peter, I hope this comes out one tenth as good as one of yours! - I've used Archer before but HGW are new to me so we'll be learning together - very slowly does it and I will try and document well as I go along. It will be a while yet before I can get to that stage as HGW are apparently best applied over primer which will be the final pre-paint coat... which will be after the final filling and sanding. That plus 6-8 hrs drying time for each application is going to be a trial of anyone's patience me thinks...

Torben

Man, the size of all that "detail" is suprising!! It looks much better sanded down. I have to ask, is it an expensive kit?

Don

I think it went for around $200.

£160... but don't tell SWMBO   :ninja:

Torben,

This « refining Â» process is really worth it. When some have misgivings about the price of a certain twin-engined fighter with some (real) flaws, I have to say your case raises a much more valid question about « value for money Â» in a resin kit ...

I'll be interested to see your experience with HGW rivets. When trying to rebuild the rivets on my Fisher Ryan ST-M, I did not feel they were very visible. Certainly, I was more satisfied with the effect of the Archer ones ...

Keep it coming :popcorn:

Hubert

Can't help to think that you have to do A LOT of work for a $200.00 kit...Very expensive resin dust!

Anyways, really great, clean job, looking forward for the next updates!

Alain

You're right there Alain... Until I'd done the detailed research and examined the kit I hadn't fully realised quite how OTT the rivets were or just how clunky the wings are. That said, I'm sure others would get much enjoyment from building this OOB. I know now that is not my way forward.

There are precious few ways to build an S5 in 32nd scale and I'm viewing this kit now as a great framework for what I hope will be a rare, long longed for model. I'm really interested to see the differences with the other S5 build in this GB

Torben

Torben,

This « refining Â» process is really worth it. When some have misgivings about the price of a certain twin-engined fighter with some (real) flaws, I have to say your case raises a much more valid question about « value for money Â» in a resin kit ...

I'll be interested to see your experience with HGW rivets. When trying to rebuild the rivets on my Fisher Ryan ST-M, I did not feel they were very visible. Certainly, I was more satisfied with the effect of the Archer ones ...

Keep it coming :popcorn:

Hubert

Thanks Hubert - Value for money is a good point to raise here... Whilst on the chunky side, this limited edition resin kit will hopefully give me many hours pleasure (and no doubt a bit of pain), allowing me to create something relatively rare and long sort after.... what price happiness eh?

Torben

Great, and brave, work so far, Torben. Bravo! It's a beautiful airplane but, at that price ($217 at the moment.) I'm not sure the Aerotech kits are for me. I went through the 60s and 70s with tubes of filler and sandpaper in hand and am now spoiled by WnW. The S6B has always been my second favorite airplane (Mosquito being first!) so, if one pops up on eBay, as one did in October for $147!, I may snap it up and use your build for inspiration!

I look forward to following along here and am really enjoying all the help with videos and photos for the crew.

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...