Suggestions for new group builds

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

I'm not sure if this is the proper venue for suggesting new themes for group builds. I would like to offer two suggestions for future group builds that should have wide appeal to the membership.

1. Yellow Wings - US aircraft between the wars who wore yellow Wings

2. Aces and their Mounts.

Peter

The Yellow Wings idea is not a bad one Peter, though I worry that it might be a tad limited in terms of available kits and subjects. We did Aircraft of the Aces a wee while back, so it's probably too soon to revisit that one.

Kev

• 3 months later...

Any more ideas for the next GB?

I'm needing some motivation for the next big project....

Vietnam would be cool.....I've been looking for an excuse to fight with the Trumpeter F-100.

Also, maybe 1940's/1950's jets.

Chris

The Yellow Wings idea is not a bad one Peter, though I worry that it might be a tad limited in terms of available kits and subjects. We did Aircraft of the Aces a wee while back, so it's probably too soon to revisit that one.

Kev

I can see where Peter is coming from...how about a 'Coloured wings GB'? This could cover any operational aircraft type that was used in a training role from any era - the only criteria is that the aircraft is/was used in that role?

Derek

Well personally I'm up (and judging from the fervor around them so are a LOT of others) for a more open ended WWI build. Seems good timing for it with all of the WnW builds going and about to go on:

Pretty open ended with ANY manufacturer (of teh 1:1 OR the kit), any plane from any year, with one of few criteria being the subject should have actually been used for combat in WWI and of course be 1/35 or larger

Some names I was kicking round that I thought were amusing:

- Wooden Wonders GB

- Wings of the Dawn Patrol GB

- Wood, Wings & Strings!

- Those Magnificent Men & their Flying Machines! <-- Im kinda partial to this one for some reason

- Hell's Angels GB (A nice nod to Howard Hughes)

- Wings of the Aerodrome GB

- The Blue Max GB (A nod to the 1966 WWI Movie)

Just thinking out loud here...............

Edited by Out2gtcha

Loving the magnificent men in their flying machines!

What about a build the same kit group build, ive seen same-kit builds be entertaining in the past. Since we do have such a diverse pool of interests, I'd say build the same kit but select between WNW fokker DVII releases, one of the overly popular WWII planes (spitfire, mustang, 109, 190), and some sort of jet

Has a Classic Kit build ever been done? kits 25+yr old, no panel rescribing allowed, just to drive the purists insane :)

Some of those Ideers have been passed about I know, and I think there could be interest.

The only issue LSP faces with GBs is that we cant really be as narrow/specific with our GB subjects as say an ARC GB or HS GB might because of the smaller community here, as well as the lack of diversity of subjects, as well as factoring in the extra time it takes to work an LSP through to completion.............

Lord knows we (or at leas I) have been in those situations where things just are seeming to take WAAAAAAAAY longer than they ever should.

I think the only way LSP type GBs are going to be a rousing success, is to be able to widen or open up the criteria, and get as many peeps in teh GB as we can.

That being said, Im really open for anything that will get "people in the door" so-to-speak

Has LSP ever considered having a kit/aftermarket manufacturer sponsor a group build using offerings? The sponsor could offer one of their kits or $xx discount on purchases through their website store as the case may be. The other benefit is that you could possibly rope in another website sponsor this way depending whose interest you piqued to sponsor. Zoukei Mura, Wingnut, or possibly even Revell may be good targets here

At this stage we have a WWI theme pencilled in for the next GB, mainly to capitalise on the obvious interest in the forums at the moment. And unlike days gone by, there's no longer a dearth of quality choices. The only things remaining to be hammered out are the timeframe and the name (I don't want to upset Brian, but I think something that very clearly implies WWI is needed).

Kev

- Those Magnificent Men & their Flying Machines!

Hehe, I remember that one...

...though wasn't the movie set a few years before WWI? ;)

...anyways, it inspired me to build a Blériot XI...

...maybe a GB, that covers the first 20 years of aviation?